Another PD4045 mini question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Another PD4045 mini question

I am just mounting a new Progressive Dynamics PD 4045 Mini.

The schematic shows a 4 pin block on the right side a bit below mid line showing the black hot wire for the converter going to this block. There is a slot in the plastic housing for the block but there is nothing in my piece.

Is it missing?

I have no idea what else should be tied to this block if anything.

Thanks
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

Name: Dick
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I hope I am answering my own question correctly. I found on the PD website
this note
Note: As of January 1, 2016, the hot buss in our model PD4045 and PD4060 is no longer supplied by Progressive Dynamics as it is not required for the proper function of the power center. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Service Department at 269-781-4242.

I am hoping this is the buss I am questioning.
Still don't know where the hot lead from the converter side is supposed to go. To a hot 120 lug I guess.
Thanks
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: UHaul
Florida
Was that the answer?

A year later and the instructions haven't changed, the convertor wire just goes to mid-air in the diagram.
GabbyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I recall the instructions leaving a lot to be desired...I remember the support being pretty decent, though. They responded well to email.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do you have it figured out?
I looked quickly at the instructions pdf, looks very similar to the new PD4135 I put in my Trillium last fall.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #6

Florida
I called them and they straightened me out. The loose (black) lead needs to go to a new 15 amp circuit breaker to feed the converter. I had assumed the main breaker took care of that. Why not show that as well as the main that you have to buy? He didn't know. Also, not enough detail on grounding the two separate systems. I should have bought buss bars.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #7

Yes the 120V is back fed in the main breaker to the hot bus. The other breakers feed the various branches, and one of them powers the converter section.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #8

Florida
They also told me I need a grounding buss bar for both the 12V and 120 circuits, running separately to the frame member. The old convertor had but the one, I suppose 12V?

Also: Question about rewiring the GFI
My plan is to take the incoming 120 from its current destination in the GFI outlet box above the sink and run it to the convertor, changing the old outgoing 120 that powered the convertor into a feed wire to power the outlet box. The thermal breaker (that I just replaced) is probably now redundant as the circuit will be protected both by the main and branch breakers. Which terminals on the GFI do I connect to the new incoming, the same ones that used to be powered by the incoming 120?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #9

Florida
Also, Thanks for the replies

Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyB View Post
They also told me I need a grounding buss bar for both the 12V and 120 circuits, running separately to the frame member. The old convertor had but the one, I suppose 12V?.....
Guys, look up the difference between buss and bus. The mention of a buss bar evokes strange ideas...funny.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
They also told me I need a grounding buss bar for both the 12V and 120 circuits, running separately to the frame member. The old convertor had but the one, I suppose 12V?
On mine, I had to add a negative bus for the 12V circuits.
The 120V AC neutral bus was included in the unit, as well as the ground bus, and they are both shown in the PD4045 drawing.

Unlike in a residential breaker panel, the neutral bus (white wires) must absolutely be floating, i.e not connected to the trailer frame in any way.

Quote:
Also: Question about rewiring the GFI
My plan is to take the incoming 120 from its current destination in the GFI
Not sure how your trailer was originally. Mine had one single 15A breaker, 3 outlets, no GFI. Now I have a 30A main, and 4 15A breakers, one for each outlet plus one for the converter section, and I replaced two of the regular outlets with GFIs (kept standard outlet for the fridge).
Old 02-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #12

Florida
Buss vs. Bus, Grounding

My Dad and Grandfather used to disagree on that and I sided with Dad. Didn't have Google in the 60s. Looks like that goes back aways:

CR4 - Thread: Bus Bar vs. Buss Bar

I was surprised the PD guy told me I needed two bars, too, as I saw there were accommodations within the box. My original ground lug (from/to the convertor) is still connected to the frame but I'll remove, clean, and remount it. Not sure what purpose it would serve as the ground on the frame for the 12 VDC system I really need goes back to my tow vehicle so the trailer lights will work.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
My Dad and Grandfather used to disagree on that and I sided with Dad. Didn't have Google in the 60s. Looks like that goes back aways:

CR4 - Thread: Bus Bar vs. Buss Bar

I was surprised the PD guy told me I needed two bars, too, as I saw there were accommodations within the box. My original ground lug (from/to the convertor) is still connected to the frame but I'll remove, clean, and remount it. Not sure what purpose it would serve as the ground on the frame for the 12 VDC system I really need goes back to my tow vehicle so the trailer lights will work.
That is a good thread - it clears it up a lot, including a long history of linguistic abuse. My combined 30 pounds of paper dictionaries are also unambiguous. One S for heavy currents and people, two S's for kissing.
Who was right, Dad or Grandpa?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #14

Florida
Grandpa, of course. They both had good arguments, comparing them to a mode of transportation was not one of them.