Any advantage to hooking up 7pin vs 4pin? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What difference does that make ?
I was taught to do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do
I have brakes on my utility trailer not because of some law but because it’s just common sense .
Yep. Thank you. Common sense.

And just to muddy the waters further concerning charging. Neither my Oliver, or my Black Series were connected in the trailer to charge the batteries from the seven pin. The seven pin in my truck has the charging wire, but the trailer side was not connected. So, it's not a given that the batteries will charge if plugged in.

This is where a simple volt meter plugged into a cigarette lighter style socket in the trailer is handy. When the seven pin is plugged into the tow, the volt meter will begin to rise above 12.6 volts, indicating the batteries are charging. It's a very simple way to check it.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
You can not addapt [sic] a 4 pin unit to a 7 pin..
That is basically correct when talking about temporary use to tow a trailer with a 7 way, using a tug with a 4-way only.

But for permanent installation you can use something like this. It is the way my vehicle is done. The 4-way on the tug is attached and then wrapped up and secured, and you add the 5th, 6th or 7th connections to the 7-pin according to your needs.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #23

Name: Christian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Arizona
Quote:
I have brakes on my utility trailer not because of some law but because it’s just common sense .
I'm sorry if you're offended. I was simply pointing out that trailer brakes are not a legal requirement on all trailers, in all states, as implied in an earlier post. That you choose to have brakes because it's the "right thing to do" is admirable. I too added brakes to my trailer, not out of legal obligation, but, like you, because it's "just common sense".
chrisblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisblessing View Post
I'm sorry if you're offended. I was simply pointing out that trailer brakes are not a legal requirement on all trailers, in all states, as implied in an earlier post. That you choose to have brakes because it's the "right thing to do" is admirable. I too added brakes to my trailer, not out of legal obligation, but, like you, because it's "just common sense".
I wasn’t offended , it’s just that too many times on this forum the debate is between doing the right thing (think safety) on one side and I don’t want to spend any money unless I am forced to do the proper thing on the other side
You see this playing out on threads about tow vehicles, trailer tires , trailer brakes and paying camping fees
My opinion has always been that if you can’t afford or refuse to own / buy a proper tow vehicle , or maintain your trailers safety equipment or replace your trailer tire or camp in designated areas , Etc , Etc then they shouldn’t buy a trailer. IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #25

Arizona
Understood

Quote:
I wasn’t offended , it’s just that too many times on this forum the debate is between doing the right thing (think safety) on one side and I don’t want to spend any money unless I am forced to do the proper thing on the other side
You see this playing out on threads about tow vehicles, trailer tires , trailer brakes and paying camping fees
My opinion has always been that if you can’t afford or refuse to own / buy a proper tow vehicle , or maintain your trailers safety equipment or replace your trailer tire or camp in designated areas , Etc , Etc then they shouldn’t buy a trailer. IMHO
I understand. I didn't detect that in this thread, but I get the safety vs cost/convenience debate. And I'm with you on this: I'll err on the side of safety.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #26

North Carolina
First, Steve makes the "legal requirements" argument (bolding added):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Casitas, (and most other travel trailers out there,) have legally required electric brakes. Not only are the trailer brakes a DOT requirement, but the required "break-away" connector is also a legal requirement, just like having a good functional working trailer battery, (which would power the electric brakes if the trailer were to come off the hitch.) You are required to have a break away pull-out switch, which will activate the trailers electric brakes in the event of the trailer becoming disconnected from the tow vehicle. ...
Chris makes a logical response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisblessing View Post
I live in Arizona. Under state law there is only a requirement for independent electric brakes and breakaway for trailers with a gross weight of over 3000 lbs and above. "Legal requirements" differ from state to state.
Steve says that legal requirements dont matter.. he does what is the right thing regardless of the legal requirement.

Quote:
Which makes me wonder.. why did Steve first focus on the legal requirements (which do vary from state to state and country to country)? The better argument might well be based on physics rather than a hodgepodge of laws.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The thing about having brakes on the trailer, When you really need them you will wish you were smart enough to have them. Worth their weight in gold in that situation.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #28

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Its more pleasant to tow a trailer with brakes than without. You don't have that constant rattling and banging behind you and you know you are safer in a sudden braking situations.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #29

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
The thing about having brakes on the trailer, When you really need them you will wish you were smart enough to have them. ...
Ah yes... the not-so-famous last words.....
Attached Thumbnails
my_tombstone.jpg  
Old 09-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #30

Name: Murray
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Registry
I installed an Autowbrake unit in my 1974 Trillium this year. I have a seven pin connection but noted in the installation manual that you CAN install Autowbrake using a four pin connection. You have to keep the lights in the tow vehicle turned on for this to work. Here is a link to Autowbrake's site...scroll down a bit and you will see what they have to say.

https://getautowbrake.com/pages/installation

Murray
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #31

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommander View Post
I installed an Autowbrake unit in my 1974 Trillium this year. I have a seven pin connection but noted in the installation manual that you CAN install Autowbrake using a four pin connection. You have to keep the lights in the tow vehicle turned on for this to work. Here is a link to Autowbrake's site...scroll down a bit and you will see what they have to say.

https://getautowbrake.com/pages/installation

Murray
It also says this:
You must also know if you fail to turn the tow vehicle lights on while towing you will also not have functioning trailer brakes.
So yes, you CAN do it.. but you can do a lot of things that are not a good idea.

But its even worse than that... you run the risk of blowing fuses or having vehicle computer control problems when you add that much draw to a lighting circuit. Just dont do it.. add a wire from the tow veh battery with a auto-reset breaker inline. Its only one more wire and its by far the safer way to do it.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #32

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
It also says this:...Just dont do it.. add a wire from the tow veh battery with a auto-reset breaker inline. Its only one more wire and its by far the safer way to do it.
Agreed, and it's very easy and inexpensive to do.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Yeah! And those attorneys are likely the same ones who made the LoneStar restaurants quit allowing peanut shells on the floor.
Forget them and get a real 7-pin and be sure all functions work, you will be much happier, safer, and have less wear and tear on your rig.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Name: Josh
Trailer: GoBE
IA
I recently switch to a 7 pin on my 2001 Toyota LandCruiser even though I only have the 4 wires hooked up currently. The campers I build come with brakes and a 7 pin so it makes transporting with my vehicle easier. Additionally, I like the snap down 7pin door on the vehicle side and the way the connection stays cleaner over the years. I installed mine slightly off to the drivers side at about a 45 degree angle. Works great, looks fine.
Josh B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinout View Post
@lfkwtz Which 4runner do you have? If you have a 4th or 5th Gen 4runner although you have the 7 and 4 pin options, you will still need to connect a brake controller. With the weight of the trailer I would say it's a good option to "upgrade" to the 7-pin. It's nice with our 2007 4Runner to have the extra brakes AND it charges the battery in the trailer. It's not too daunting to hook up the brake controller. Talk to the folks at etrailer.com they set me up right.

I think others have mentioned this already but, go with 7 pin. It'll allow you to tow anything with 7 pin or 4 pin (with adapter) and use all the functions.
I have a 2016. You're saying the 7pin isn't enough?
lfkwtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfkwtz View Post
I have a 2016. You're saying the 7pin isn't enough?
I believe he’s saying the brake controller is a separate installation. But if it has factory 7-pin wiring, there is likely a connector under the dash or behind the kick panel. No new wires to run.

E-trailer has good model-specific Instructions for installing a brake controller. Regardless of whether you’ll do it yourself or pay someone else, it’s good to know what’s involved.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:05 AM   #37

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
7 pin also provides a charge line to charge the house battery while driving. Not having to worry if battery will be charged during the days travel after night in rest area or rustic site is nice. Is Walmart rustic or primative?

I have brakes on my 13 and wouldn't own a trailer without them given a choice. I have an 8x10 utility trailer and grumble every time I tow it about the lack of brakes.

Driving a divided highway such as M-59 through the northern suburbs of Detroit with all the traffic lights is not fun, but it isn't fear inducing either with the camper because I can stop for a yellow light instead of trying to beat it with a trailer in tow because I won't be able to stop in a "normal" distance the yellow light assumes with its timing.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #38

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
... Is Walmart rustic or primative?
Definitely primitive...