Anyone know of an easy charger for cell phone in Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece
Did I miss something? We have a couple of 12V cigarette plugs in our trailer and use regular car USB plugs to charge cell phones and such. Cheap, simple, effective.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
I did the same thing. There is no parasitic draw if you unplug the charger. It allows for 12 volt use when you are not charging. And because these chargers use more energy than they deliver, they can get quite hot. I'd rather have the device in the open. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I was using my numbers from Post #10, I guess that they are different from the others.
Sorry Bob, I missed that post. Thanks for the clarity.

Red-faced,

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #23

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
If you are talking about my math, it was only meant as an example of current draw in general, and not specifically for any device. the bottom line is I think that installing anything that constantly draws without a means to switch it out when not in use is a bad idea. The simple 12V outlet is great. I do think having an easy readout of the battery voltage is important and they draw so little, that might be the exception.
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #24

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
P. raz, some people just will complicate things, won't they?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #25

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
y'all are going to think I'm really lame, but I have decided to go with one of those lipstick sized batteries that holds about one charge for a cell phone. That should get me through my long weekend camping needs (as long as I remember to charge it up!)
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #26

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
That's not lame at all, that is smart. I have one that gives my phone about three full charges and I can't believe how handy it is. The best thing is if your phone is close to dead you can still take it with you, but charging!
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #27

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
y'all are going to think I'm really lame, but I have decided to go with one of those lipstick sized batteries that holds about one charge for a cell phone. That should get me through my long weekend camping needs (as long as I remember to charge it up!)
Not lame. Great for short trips or charging in the TV on longer trips. Try to find one with lithium ion batteries. They hold a charge for much longer. If the description doesn't say its probably not lithium ion. They cost a bit more but are much better.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp