Back to LED lights again, grrr - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #21

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Francesca, believe it or not, I'm just trying to replace the interior lights in my trailer with an equivalent LED. Why this is causing me so many problems and such diverse opinions (starting from beginning of thread where several posts said they replaced their lights with the exact ones I ordered that didn't fit my sockets) is beyond me. I have a very routine ho-hum 2011 Scamp 16' which I just acquired this past Sunday. All I want are some dam*** LED lights like everybody else has!!! Oh well...

I ordered the ones you recommended. I ordered one of the ones Jack recommended. I suspect there will be problems per usual and I'll do some more ordering of some more lights. At this point, all I can do is order order order until I get it right.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Sharon, I suspect that several of us are advising based on experience with older models. And one of us played a hunch based on what he said earlier about the predominance of T-10 bases in aftermarket fixtures. That would be me. Francesca did the legwork and linked you to the precise replacement. A T-10 base is a T-10 base.

A further source of possible confusion is the tendency of many of us to equate this output rating with a certain sort of base. The numbers for incandescents and incandescent equivalents (1156, 1141, 1103) have to do with light output rather than the base connection despite the vernacular shortcut. I hope you do NOT have complications ordering on my rec and Francesca's. The flat panel is only an alternative and not intended by me to confuse you. There is no need to order those if you have ordered the tower type bulbs. You are free to do your own research and under no obligation to buy anything based on my recommendation.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #23

Texas
I don't feel obliged, Jack. After all, I ordered (on my own) the first 4 bulbs, of only which one fit the "spotlight" in the back corner. I do believe different models present different options, and I likewise believe I need to keep ordering one kind of bulb after another until I get a positive hit. I'm just surprised this has proven to be so difficult. God forbid I ever have a "real" problem, eh?

All of this is brand new to me, and many of you have been doing this for many many years. You've got the experience, just not always the "part numbers" so to speak -- and how could you have those memorized when they change all the time, and between models.

I just looked at a white number printed on one of the dome bulbs: 921. No idea how to use this number, at this point, to narrow my search. Meanwhile, I'll wait for the slow boat to/from China to deliver one set of bulbs I ordered (2-3 weeks), and a couple of days to get the ones from Amazon.

Dare I ask... but does anybody know what LED bulbs, if any, replace the long light over the kitchen sink? Is that strictly a 120 connection? I ask because it doesn't respond to being turned on and I'm waiting for an extension cord from my brother for shore/house power.

Good night all.

Sharon
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Nobody answer that!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding...however:

Sharon. Dear, dear Sharon.

On page one of this thread someone asked for pictures of the original fixtures/bulbs, and I myself asked for numbers from the same. So far, we haven't seen either...

We're doing our best here, but...well...you see...I don't know how else to say this...

For cryin' out loud! Give us SOMETHING TO WORK WITH HERE!!!!!!

Francesca

P.S.

And do NOT touch that "add to cart" button until we know what we're talkin' about here.....

F.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #25

Texas
My new iphone with camera will arrive the middle of next week. Until then, I live in the "miserable" world of one-dimensional communication where the written WORD is all I have. Be patient with me... I'm already trembling with my next problem: I have ordered a cover for my 2 propane tanks, but there's a tube that crosses behind the tanks and around the back towards the battery. I'm gonna have to figure out how to move that stiff tube around so the cover can sit flat -- and without blowing myself up.

I need a pizza and beer. And a hug.

Sharon

PS -- the # on the bulb is 921
Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
- Now we're gettin' somewhere!

Here's an assortment, different intensities.

I am wondering, though- you talked about "pulling it off a plastic base"- any chance you inadvertantly separated the bulb from the base???

Francesca

P.S.

This is for you:
Attached Thumbnails
233052025_28be359fc51.jpeg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #27

Texas
Nah, all those dome bulbs pull out. You can pull out the base also, only about an inch or so because there are 2 white cords that run into the bottom of it that stop you from pulling any further. I put all the bulbs back in their tiny little slot on the base, shoved the base back in, and they all turned on.

Back to the booze........

S.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #28

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
This stuff from Spoetzl Brewing in the Lone Star is real good. Every Shiner is brewed in Shiner. It lights up my life.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #29

Texas
My brother in law heads down here (to Texas) from OKC and first stop is a place that sells Shiner -- enough to last a week!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post

Dare I ask... but does anybody know what LED bulbs, if any, replace the long light over the kitchen sink? Is that strictly a 120 connection? I ask because it doesn't respond to being turned on and I'm waiting for an extension cord from my brother for shore/house power.

Good night all.

Sharon
I can answer that! The long light in the kitchen will working on nothing but 120. Its a standard florescent tube light and ballasted housing. You can buy Led tube lights now in various sizes (sorry havent look for one for mine as yet) to replace it (not sure if they make them in the right length or not) or you can purchase a new fixture (which is what I am looking to do). I am told that LED tubes can be retrofitting to the existing fixtures but you need to removed the ballast from the light before putting the LED Tube in as it doesnt need it. Suspect its all easier just to buy a new fixture and give it a bit of an updated look to go along with it.

The 921 on the bulbs you took out of the dome lights is the number of the light! Which it sounds like has a T10 base.

SORRY to hear the first ones you ordered didnt work in all your inside lights. But I suspect one might work on your outdoor porch light though but someone did mention here on your original thread re the LED's that they noticed Scamp had changed the dome lights in the newer trailers, but I am surprised they couldn't/didn't tell you that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I am ignorant on this subject. Why change to led lights? Is it because they last longer? Or are they brighter? I have been meaning to figure this out for awhile. Do you change exterior and interior bulbs to led? And what is the gain for all the aggravation?
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
I am ignorant on this subject. Why change to led lights? Is it because they last longer? Or are they brighter? I have been meaning to figure this out for awhile. Do you change exterior and interior bulbs to led? And what is the gain for all the aggravation?
I changed interior lights to LED because I mostly camp where there is no electricity, therefor I must use battery power for lighting needs. Typically 10 LED lights use about the same power as ONE incandescent bulb, and my LED lights are brighter. I changed all my outside lights (stop/turn signal, running & side marker) to LED because they are much brighter and do last much longer.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #33

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I really do not like the white led bulbs. I clicked on a link from Francesca's link and went to solarsaverled.com. they had warm white. Nancy
Nancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
Ruth as David suggested the LED lights draw far less power than the old incandescent lights found inside most of our trailers. If you camp without power at all they are a real bonus to have. Most new cars these days have LED lights on the exterior as they are much brighter in bright sun or poor weather nights.

I change out the rear lights on my old Scamp to LED as even in the day time I had on more than one occasion people follow me into parking lots etc and yell at me that my rear lights were not working. They were its just that if the sun was hitting them at a certain angle the people behind me couldn't see they were. I suspect the rear lights on newer Scamps such as yours are probable a lot more visible than the old wedding cake style Scamp used on older models so changing out the exterior lights may not result in as much as a safety improvement as it does on older trailers.

It really is not hard at all to change most of the dome style lights over providing you know the bulb number/style of light you are replacing with LED. Its normally simply a matter or removing the old bulb and popping in the new LED in most situations.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #35

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:

I need a pizza and beer. And a hug.

Sharon

PS -- the # on the bulb is 921
Aha! The bulb is a #921 which is a T-10 base. So now to the recommendation:

Go to wiredco dot com online and follow the path to LED Flashlights & Lighting, then LED lighting, low voltage. Find the T-10 side plug wedge base 6 LED unit. They are about $4 each. That's what I replaced all the bulbs with in my unit.

As to the under sink florescent light I would replace it with wiredco's 30 LED surface mount 19" strip. That's what I put under the cabinet over the sink/stove in my unit to replace a two-bulb fixture (a couple of 921s). That complete unit costs about $10 and uses the 12V DC system instead of 120V AC (aka shore power). You will probably have to run a 12V line to power it but I think you will be much happier with the LEDs vs the florescent bulb.

The really good news is that the 6 LED units draw about 300mA vs the 921 draw of 1.4A. That's an 80% reduction in the load on the battery. The 30 LED surface bar draws about 650mA and, of course, eliminates the need for 120V shore power when you are camping away from a current bush (AC power source).

I bought my LEDs from wiredco's booth at a ham radio flea market but they also sell on the internet. And they are in the USA (Scottsdale AZ) so you don't have to wait for that slow boat from China. The parts are still from China but the vendor is local.

Hope this information helps.

As far as the pizza and beer, you're on your own there. Neither pizza or beer have a long shelf life in this house.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #36

Texas
Thanks so much Orlen -- I am so relieved to have the info I need. The replacement tube sounds like a GREAT idea. I need to get myself to an RV shop soon. There are NO (as in ZERO) 12v outlets in my Scamp. I was shocked by this, and I told the guy I bought it from that. I thought one 12v outlet was always standard. Anyway, here I'm trying to move as far away as possible from using/needing shore power, and I've got a trailer that thrives on it. It's a great little trailer tho. Just needs a bit of tweaking.

Sharon
Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #37

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I don't think it is unusual to have no 12 volt outlets. We added one and the only thing I use it for is to stick my volt meter in to check battery drain. Oh, we have also use it for the little 12 volt air compressor to top off the trailer tires. So two things.

What we use more often is an inverter that we plug into the 12 volt car outlet while driving. This charges our cameras, phones, computers while we drive.

Nancy
Nancy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #38

Texas
I've got a 12v hand vac for the trailer, 12v crockpot, 12v TV, 12v electric blanket, and a 12v fan. I'll be off the grid as much as possible. So I desperately need to get some 12v sockets installed in several places in the Scamp. I'll be full-timing.

Sharon
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #39

Name: Gerald
Trailer: In the market
Virginia
Quote:
OK, my four 1141 LED (bayonet )bulbs came today.

The little spotlight/swivel bulb in the back, driver's side, was simple -- pop out old bulb put in LED bulb. It worked fine.

However, the side-of-wall mounted dome lights are a different story. When you pop out the little plastic square piece that the (non-bayonet) bulb sits in, you see 2 white cords attached to the bottom of that plastic piece. I have no idea what LED lights to buy for this type of fixture. Please help!!!

Also, my adapter for plugging the Scamp into the house came and is fine, but I need an extension cord to reach the garage. Is there a particular "super" extension cord I need to buy? (I don't want to move trailer closer to garage.)

All help appreciated because I'm very grumpy and keep yelling at my adorable dog, as if my stupidity is all his fault.

Sharon
Have you installed those led lights? I have just purchased new set of led lights and looking for some information about installation process.
Geraldmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #40

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
I bought my LEDs from wiredco's booth at a ham radio flea market but they also sell on the internet. And they are in the USA (Scottsdale AZ) so you don't have to wait for that slow boat from China. The parts are still from China but the vendor is local..........
Another trick is to find what you want on eBay, then check the North America only box in the left column. It will find US and Canadian sources for the same item, usually a little more $, but with faster shipping.

Tags
lights