Back to LED lights again, grrr - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #41

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Hi Sharon - what part of Texas are you in? I'm in Dallas. Also a newbie to trailers and planning to fulltime for the next year or so. The learning curve on all of this is pretty steep but this sight is full of good people always willing to help. Learning is good - it will keep us young! Good luck to you.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #42

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
I've got a 12v hand vac for the trailer, 12v crockpot, 12v TV, 12v electric blanket, and a 12v fan. I'll be off the grid as much as possible. So I desperately need to get some 12v sockets installed in several places in the Scamp. I'll be full-timing.

Sharon
Sorta off-topic but I'm curious to know:

What's your plan for an energy source while off-grid?
That 12v appliance lineup looks pretty hungry....especially heat producers like crockpot/electric blanket.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #43

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
The vacuum would be used for 4-6 minutes, maybe once a week or so; the crockpot used for that once-a-week lovely meal; the elec blanket used in cold weather only; the fan used when it's so hot I think I'll pass out without relief.

I'll be setting up solar panels with two batteries-- still working out the particulars of that. No big rush (yet) as I must sell the house before I hit the road. Right now just doing putsy things on the trailer and learning systems, etc. This is all brand new to me.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #44

Texas
Jan, I'm in the San Antonio area, a mile from Randolph AFB.

Good luck to you, too!

S.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #45

Texas
Tom, good idea there.

S.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
......... the crockpot used for that once-a-week lovely meal......Sharon
The crock pot is what is going to give you trouble. The ones that I found on line are 6.5 to 8 amps. So in 8 hours, that is 52 to 64 amp hours of electrical consumption. With two batteries, you will have about 100 amp hours total usable capacity. I guess with enough solar panels, you could make it work.

Most 12 volt appliances are made for truckers who have the rig running nonstop.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #47

Texas
I know what you're saying Tom. What I do when making, for example chile, is cook everything separately on the stove. Then I toss all the cooked stuff together in the crockpot for 2-3 hours tops so the flavors can blend nicely. Makes all the difference in the world to the flavor, trust me. It's especially lovely for meatballs in a spaghetti and meatballs feast.

Sharon
Old 03-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #48

Quote:
I know what you're saying Tom. What I do when making, for example chile, is cook everything separately on the stove. Then I toss all the cooked stuff together in the crockpot for 2-3 hours tops so the flavors can blend nicely. Makes all the difference in the world to the flavor, trust me. It's especially lovely for meatballs in a spaghetti and meatballs feast.

Sharon
Sounds delicious! Keep an eye on your battery voltage - you don't want to dip below 12 volts.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #49

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I suspect that the 6.5 to 8 amps is while it is heating. Likely this is at 50% or less duty cycle, (I am guessing). The total draw is probably less then 64 amp hours over 8 hours. You could likely reduce this further if you had some insulation around the crock pot. Like a tea cozy.
Embroidery Library - Machine Embroidery Designs Inspired Project Page
Man I love the internet!

On edit: OK, looks like it is for transport, but I can't see why you couldn't use it while operating. Might want to make it out of natural fibers though. It also might get kinda gross around the edge of the lid.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #50

Name: Gerald
Trailer: In the market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldmartinez View Post
Have you installed those led lights? I have just purchased new set of led lights car parts and looking for some information about installation process.
Still waiting for some reply.
Geraldmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldmartinez View Post
Still waiting for some reply.
Welcome, Gerald. I think that the reason that you have no reply is that your question is too general. What specifically do you want to know about installing LED lights? Mounting a new fixture? Changing out bulbs? Polarity concerns?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #52

Texas
No Gerald, I have not installed any LEDs except the spotlight and porch light. Bulbs just pop in. I'm waiting for the others to get here.

The pop in bulbs were those I mentioned I ordered in the first post of this thread. You don't mention type of trailer you have. Maybe you don't have that spotlight in the back.

Sharon
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #53

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Thanks so much for all the LED discussion, I'm certainly smarter (?) after all these replies. I'm not up to "electrical" yet on my rebuild of my 2001 Casita but it will be next. Just got an add from Camping World, LED double fixture goes on sale $19.99 for (4) days Thurs-Sun. Will replace where possible. Sending "S" a hug, currently out of beer & pizza E
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights