Basic electrical set up advice for my rare trailer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #41

Name: pat
Trailer: MITY LITE
British Columbia
Thanks Joe ! I appreciate the practical tips. Should I ditch the 3000 power inverter and get something smaller given my described intentions?
Thanks
spaghettiroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #42

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
That is a cute and interesting camper! I think you might want to do some more reading on 12V and see if you can modify your expectations. Specifically, the inverter and all that follows will add a level of complexity that you would not have to deal with if you stick to 12V. I think you could reasonably and safely set up a 12V system with LED lights, a fan, water pump, maybe a portable solar to recharge.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #43

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I myself have never needed an inverter. I have managed to find DC chargers or DC powered toys for everything we wanted in the camper. Made electrical a lot easier. We have a small bin of 110 v good is and get them out only if we have shore power. Otherwise its propane for heat and cooking, and led lights off the battery at night.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #44

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Electrical advice

You asked for electrical advise but in your comments you mentioned setting up your propane. There are many DIY jobs that can be done successfully ; one that requires specific training is RV propane. You sound like this may be an unknown area- do your self a favor and anyone you will have in the rig- spend a couple hundred dollars and have it done right by an RV tech professional. The cost is nothing compared to the damage and heartache! And in rigs this size cost ought to be minimal.
I just finished refitting a propane system done by a DIYer. Nice guy. He left a kink in the line directly under a propane water heater. When the device leaked - which it would sooner or later, the cabinet (also DIY installed) would have filled with enough propane to explode that rig before anyone would have detected the propane odor.

I am a retired RVIA certified technician (mobile and owned my own business) and can tell many a story about a well intended yet mis guided repair - I caught many, many of these before they were a problem- and all done usually on the same repair call.
Rigs are plenty, and some even cheap- look on this wonderful forum!! Families and friends are harder to come by and not so easy to replace.
Thanks
Bill
Bill rv tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical