Battery box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #1

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Battery box

So my Boler is finally in my driveway. I finally have my battery box out to look at it. It definitely has vents in the top that rain could get in.

Should I seal those and maybe drill some holes beneath the handles?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

Nova Scotia
Oops and here's the handles on the base.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom, so if rain (or washing the trailer water) did find a way in... it had a way out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On our daughters popup with the same battery box on the tongue, I sealed the vents. However there is no onboard charging system (converter) so the cover is off when using a battery charger. You could seal the vents, then put an elbow fitting on the lid with a short hose as a vent. that will keep water out. hose needs to be level or slightly inclined up.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

Nova Scotia
Makes sense! I'll do that tomorrow while the trailer is in for it's safety.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
The vents won't make any difference to the battery. Donna's idea of a few holes in the bottom for drainage is good. Their are millions of batteries on trailers that are not even in a box and are fine. The battery in my dune buggy has been under water many times fording streams...still works. I think it looks better in a box on a TT but the battery doesn't care.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There are vents in the top of battery boxes for a reason. Sealing those vents defects the purpose of the vents.

When a battery is charged it will often out gas hydrogen. Hydrogen is lighter than air and will be trapped inside the battery box if the vents are sealed. Any small spark will ignite hydrogen. Remember the Hindenburg
Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have never had a battery box with vents in the top, might as well not have a box if it has holes up there. Perhaps my boxes were all sized and designed to properly vent despite not having holes in the top. And yes bad things sometimes happen to batteries, but it is not often. In all my years of messing with batteries, including a stint at a sho-nuff battery store, I have seen exactly ONE battery blow. And that one was during charging and it was a suspect battery to start with.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #9

Nova Scotia
This is the Atwood battery box from Canadian tire. It has two sets of over hangs as well. So cables can come out the same side on a long side. Or they can come out on opposite sides on the short sides.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgynm View Post
This is the Atwood battery box from Canadian tire. It has two sets of over hangs as well. So cables can come out the same side on a long side. Or they can come out on opposite sides on the short sides.
LOL sorry I just went out and look at the one on my trailer and sure enough it also has the two small vents on the top as well. Its not as others have said an issue as the battery can withstand the elements. Vents are a good thing & the reason why its better to put the battery outside rather than inside the trailer
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #11

Nova Scotia
Ok. I'll drill a few holes in the bottom then.

Tags
battery