Battery question? Grp 24 or 27 in which fiberglass project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Name: Den
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17
Missouri
Battery question? Grp 24 or 27 in which fiberglass project

My boat and my sailboat are kind of projects. I had a Group 24 Deep Cycle battery in my camper, but it hasn't charged as well as it used to. It is at least 3 years old. I had it tested and it seems to be defunct. I also have a sailboat (Chrysler 22) in varying stages of dry land sailing (under repair) that had a Group 27 Deep Cycle battery. The boat has been dry for almost four years, so I am pretty sure that battery is dead--it was already a few years ago.

So I am buying new batteries--one for the camper now and one for the boat later (when it is ready to get wet, later this year???).

I am thinking of switching sizes; that I should get the Group 27 for the camper--just enough space on the tongue, but barely. And maybe get a Group 24 for the boat later when I need it. I spend much more time in the camper overnight, but pretty much have only done daytime sailing, a little at night while coming in for running lights and of course it starts the motor when I need it. But I don't overnight in the boat, at least not in the past.

Does this make sense? Any other considerations?
kcburro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Over the years I used a couple of group 27 deep cells on my Scamp and was happy with them. I know a lot of people who do. Just keep in mind they will not last long if you continually run them down under 40% 11.9. If you take care of them you should get about 5 years of good service out of them before you start to notice they do not hold a charge as well as they did new. Only consideration was when I first made the switch from a group 24 was I did have to get a larger battery box.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This whole thing about batteries, solar, etc. depends totally on your specific usage.
Before I changed to LED lights I went 4 days on a group 24 74AH battery and that was with a little heat in the morning.
Now that I've changed to a group true deep cycle at 100AH and all LED lights and a 100 Watt solar panel, I can go forever. Charging occurs at around 4 days if it's cool evenings and/or mornings and about 2 weeks when the furnace isn't run. I don't let the battery get very low before I recharge.
I don't have a water pump, a television, or any other stuff to run the battery down. I can and do charge phones, computer, etc from tow often when we're sight seeing.

Before retirement I had no need for a larger battery or solar. Longest we stayed in one place was about 3 days, the tow would charge the battery before the next camp site.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcburro View Post
My boat and my sailboat are kind of projects. I had a Group 24 Deep Cycle battery in my camper, but it hasn't charged as well as it used to. It is at least 3 years old. I had it tested and it seems to be defunct. I also have a sailboat (Chrysler 22) in varying stages of dry land sailing (under repair) that had a Group 27 Deep Cycle battery. The boat has been dry for almost four years, so I am pretty sure that battery is dead--it was already a few years ago.
I am thinking of switching sizes; that I should get the Group 27 for the camper--just enough space on the tongue, but barely. And maybe get a Group 24 for the boat later when I need it. I spend much more time in the camper overnight, but pretty much have only done daytime sailing, a little at night while coming in for running lights and of course it starts the motor when I need it. But I don't overnight in the boat, at least not in the past.
Does this make sense? Any other considerations?
A couple things, as you use the camper a lot more I would go with the larger battery. I did the same thing with sailboats, mainly running lights. Back in my boating days solar wasn't around yet, you may want to look into a small solar set up to keep the battery topped off. I quit using deep cycle batteries in RV's 25 years ago because of the charge times it took for a full charge. That change came before solar chargers also, YMMV. BTW, your C 22 is a nice little daysailer.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Being the cheapskate that I am, I would buy ONE really good group 27 (or group 30/31 if I could fit it) and move it back and forth. ; )
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I upgraded my Scamp 13 to a group 27 battery and 60 watts of Solar. Very rarely do I camp with 120 volt AC. While at home my trailer is plugged in to 120 volts AC, 24 / 7. My PD4045 converter with charge wizard keeps the battery fully charged without over charging the battery.

I check the battery water twice a year and have added very little water for the 3 years or so since I set up the system.

When I changed to the group 27 Battery I had to change to a larger battery box and shift my dual propane bottle mount a little to get it all on the trailer's tongue.
If you have the space for a group 27 that's the direction I would go.

Why would you use a battery with just enough juice when for almost the same amount of money you can get more power? unless the extra weight or size causes an issue.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post

As a side note - the group 27 box can be a tight fit between the propane tank and the trailer on the Scamp - but watching how you put the lid on the battery box will make a big difference. If the lid is flipped one way it will not fit - flip it so the other side of the lid is against the trailer and it fits fine. Or at least that is the case with the box I have as the lid is of a different shape on one long side vs the other.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
I upgraded my Scamp 13 to a group 27 battery and 60 watts of Solar. Very rarely do I camp with 120 volt AC. While at home my trailer is plugged in to 120 volts AC, 24 / 7. My PD4045 converter with charge wizard keeps the battery fully charged without over charging the battery.

I check the battery water twice a year and have added very little water for the 3 years or so since I set up the system.

When I changed to the group 27 Battery I had to change to a larger battery box and shift my dual propane bottle mount a little to get it all on the trailer's tongue.

Why would you use a battery with just enough juice when for almost the same amount of money you can get more power? unless the extra weight or size causes an issue.
I'm never plugged in to 120 AC, my converter is turned off at the breaker. My group 24 100 AH True Deep Cycle battery, not marine a hybrid battery, supplies more power than I need. I have a 65 Watt solar panel that if I'm someplace for more than 4 days will recharge the batter, So why carry the extra weight and cost of a group 27?
Old 05-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
just for the same reason you tow your little 13 foot Scamp with your pick-up more is better.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
just for the same reason you tow your little 13 foot Scamp with your pick-up more is better.
WRONG... I tow with my mid sized pickup because it's vehicle I own.

If bigger is better why are you here instead with the 44' Class A Motorhomes?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I'm never plugged in to 120 AC, my converter is turned off at the breaker. My group 24 100 AH True Deep Cycle battery, not marine a hybrid battery, supplies more power than I need. I have a 65 Watt solar panel that if I'm someplace for more than 4 days will recharge the batter, So why carry the extra weight and cost of a group 27?
Simple because the group 27 would give you more AM hours!!

It would be a wonderful world where everyone has a 65 watt solar system and camped in places with lots of sun so that it works. But for those who do not have such a solar system or frequently camp in places with little sun, having the extra amp hours is a good thing.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:35 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Simple because the group 27 would give you more AM hours!!
Thats what I need then.. because the morning is my favorite part of the day
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Thats what I need then.. because the morning is my favorite part of the day
:lout

The extra AH will help as well in the mornings which is when you will probable need them the most to run the furnace to take the chill off.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #14

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We have a group 31m gel cell battery can be mounted any way you like, will not start a car but lasts a lot longer, just the $675 price tag hurt but lasts a lot longer than the old deep cycle agm battery did
Old 08-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #15

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
If you go from group 24 to group 27, is it difficult to fit the larger (group 27) battery box on the tongue behind the propane on a Scamp 13? Do you have to move the propane tank or anything?
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Roemer's Law: Usage will always rise to meet supply.

Get the group 27.

It will handle more computer and phone charges, extra lighting, or help you through poor weather. Only slightly heavier. Only slightly more expensive. Less likely to get discharged as far as a group 24, so it will last longer.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I switched from a Group24 to a group27 on my Scamp13D
for one reason only.....
Walmart has a two year carry-in warranty on the 27 and only one year on the 24.
Either works fine for me. The 27 has more power, but weighs more.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #18

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
battery box

will I need to change the battery box? Will the group 27 battery fit in the old battery box?
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
will I need to change the battery box? Will the group 27 battery fit in the old battery box?
You have a tape measure?

By the way, I fit a group 31 battery with new box behind a single propane tank on a Scamp 16... Very tight fit but it works. ymmv
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
I have a group 27 battery box behind my propane tank on my Scamp13.
It fits without a problem taking only a little more space than the Group 24 box which it replaced. A new group 27 box is pretty cheap, likely less than $10.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0069.JPG   DSCF0046.JPG  

DSCF0071.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery