Best battery for 2008 Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 ft
Best battery for 2008 Scamp 13

Time to change the battery. Which is the best battery for Scamp 13? It should fit into original box & maintenance/leak free. Are AGM batteries compatible?? Thanks!
jamessue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Can't say it is the best battery for a Scamp 13, but, I went to Wal-Mart and got a replacement for my 13' Scamp. It was the equivalent to what was original. Ran about $85 as I recall. I actually like it better than the old battery. I think it holds a longer charge. Had thought about AGM battery, but after research, went with just a replacement of what was with Scamp.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

But is the AGM battery compatible?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I would agree with the Wal-Mart choice, if for no other reason that you can always get a local replacement if there is a battery failure.

On the question of AGM batteries you will have to tell us which power chassis/battery charger you have, that makes a big difference.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Re AGM: it was less complicated to go to WM

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #6

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
My experience with AGM batteries is that they are most definitely, completely and indubitably interchangeable and compatible with wet cell batteries - and indeed, are an upgrade. Advantages are zero electrolyte maintenance, the ability to mount it in various orientations - such as side lying, and minimal out gassing during recharging. In addition, they should recover better from being overly depleted. They are also less likely to fail due to vibration, bumps, and jolts that may occur during towing.

The downside is that they cost more.

The only other potential issue is the ability of your charger/convertor to optimally maintain it. Some members with more battery expertise than I have might want to chime in - but again, based on my experience, most chargers will work just fine. Combination convertor-chargers may be a different story - many of them use pretty basic charging technology.

I'd say that if you are interested in trying an AGM, then go for it!
And...be sure to share your experience with it on this forum.
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! The AGM sounds good because the battery is stored in the apartment all winter. The extra cost might outweigh the cost of a damaged floor in the storage room. The converter/charger is the original from Scamp when the trailer was purchased new in 2008.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
The best battery isn't dependent on what RV you have, it is dependent on how you camp.

If you always camp with electric hookups, you will be okay with the cheapest 12v battery you can find, even a $25 lawn tractor battery. However if you dry camp battery capacity can be critical.

Most come originally with a single group 24 flooded lead acid (fla) battery.

We have two RVs and each have two batteries. One has two 6v golf car (fla) batteries on the tongue and one has two 12v gel batteries inside under the seat. Different batteries for different uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_N_Janna View Post
My experience with AGM batteries...The downside is that they cost more....
For me, the main disadvantage is that they typically have less amphours. The main advantage of an AGM or gel battery is that they can be carried inside without added venting like is needed for a (fla) battery.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
flooded battery stored in the plastic battery box is minimal risk to the floor, walls or surrounding items.

At less than $10 cost for a box not sure I would go with cost of AGM unless I was putting battery inside the RV.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I do a lot of on and off grid camping and use solar for extended off grid camping and have used a group 27 battery from Costco for the past 5 years with good results. If you take good care of the battery and not run it below 50% you will find it works well. Don't think I would spend the larger $'s on a AGM either.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, scamp