Bigfoot Inverter/Charger Install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2023, 06:36 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
Bigfoot Inverter/Charger Install

This is a 2007 Bigfoot 25' with the dinette storage on the driver's side, which is convenient as all of the factory wiring is nearby. I have installed a new Battleborn 270Ah lithium battery inside and have installed the inverter/charger, the solar charger, the DC-DC charger, a Smartshunt, and the Victron Cerbo unit with touch screen. I went with the more expensive Battleborn battery to simplify the install and because they seem the most likely to still be around if I have a warranty issue. I chose to go with all Victron equipment because it has a solid reputation and it will all work well together. Most of the equipment is configurable using an app on your phone, and is also accessible remotely via the internet. All of the equipment except for the battery was ordered from AM Solar out of Oregon. They have a long history of complicated solar installs and have replied promptly to several of my questions--I have been very happy with their service.

Some misc. things I have learned so far:

1. Nothing quite fits like you thought it was going to. Even though I had the dimensions, there is nothing like having the equipment on hand to test out different placements. Things were more crowded than I thought they would be and I had to move a few components. This resulted in two cables being the wrong size. It might be a good idea to wait before ordering fixed length cables like ethernet and VE.direct cables.

2. 4/0 wire is difficult to cut. If not cut cleanly, it is really difficult to insert into the lug for crimping. I would recommend a long-handled cutter.

3. The 4/2 wire, on the other hand, is wonderful to work with. Super flexible. You do have to trim it down a bit to fit in the Victron connectors, but it isn't difficult. I did most everything else in 4 gauge to guarantee no issues with voltage drop.

4. I purchased a Temco TH1818 hydraulic crimper and it has worked well. I feel confident in all of my crimp connections.

5. I saw on another website where they wrapped the ratchet and socket in electrical tape when working on the battery terminals. I think this is a good idea.

6. I originally intended to install the battery vertically but it wouldn't fit without removing the bench cross-brace. If I reworked the brace I think I could fit a second battery side-by-side with the first if I needed more capacity in the future.

7. One of the hardest things was deciding where to put the touch screen. I wanted it to go above the thermostat, but I was concerned about the difficulty in running the cable and I really didn't want to remove the refrigerator to do it. Also, the cable might not have been long enough and there can be issues with extension cables not functioning properly. So, I will probably install it somewhere on the wall above the dinette storage.

The next step, after a bit of cable management, will be to install 2, 200 W Rich Solar panels with the equipment sized to allow an additional panel if needed. I am going to run 4 gauge wire from an AM Solar combiner box through the refrigerator vent.

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Equipment.jpg   Inverter.jpg  

IMG_0079.jpg   Smartshunt.jpg  

SCC.jpg   Screen.jpg  

Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:57 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Nice work,
My install is on the passenger side of the dinette as I had Bigfoot prewire the shore power run as a loop. I also used the Cerbo, smart shunt, victron mppt, lynux distributor. I used 2/0 with a 1/0 ground connection as specified by Victron. I have 412 ah of SOK’s. The only change I would have made is to spend the extra money for the Victron batteries.

My install is not quite as neat as yours but functional and safe.

After I recover from the c disease, I’ll post a pix
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 10:00 AM   #3

Washington
I probably could have used 2/0 wire. The 4/0 lugs are a tight fit in the Lynx distributor and I had to trim a tiny bit of plastic to get them to fit. I used a spare piece of 4/0 to ground the inverter case--I only had that and some 4 gauge available and the ground wire is supposed to be no more than one size smaller. I still need to run a ground wire from the solar charge controller--I'm going to use left over 6 gauge from the factory install.

The SOK batteries seem to be very popular--why would you go with Victron batteries?

Where did you mount your touch screen?

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Nice work,
My install is on the passenger side of the dinette as I had Bigfoot prewire the shore power run as a loop. I also used the Cerbo, smart shunt, victron mppt, lynux distributor. I used 2/0 with a 1/0 ground connection as specified by Victron. I have 412 ah of SOK’s. The only change I would have made is to spend the extra money for the Victron batteries.

My install is not quite as neat as yours but functional and safe.

After I recover from the c disease, I’ll post a pix
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter connections.jpg  
Old 05-16-2023, 10:19 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Johnson View Post
I probably could have used 2/0 wire. The 4/0 lugs are a tight fit in the Lynx distributor and I had to trim a tiny bit of plastic to get them to fit. I used a spare piece of 4/0 to ground the inverter case--I only had that and some 4 gauge available and the ground wire is supposed to be no more than one size smaller. I still need to run a ground wire from the solar charge controller--I'm going to use left over 6 gauge from the factory install.

The SOK batteries seem to be very popular--why would you go with Victron batteries?

Where did you mount your touch screen?

Derek
Two reasons I would have gone with the Victron batteries. Superior discharge rate to any internal bms batteries, including the BattleBorns. Second the superior integration into the Cerbo. For instance the 330 ah Victron allows 600 amps of continuous discharge.

My Cerbo is installed on the end of the passenger side carpeted wall. Not the best location, but good enough.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:27 PM   #5

Washington
I finally installed the solar panels. Two, 200 Watt Rich Solar panels. AM Solar mounts with 3M VHB tape and Teroson MS 5510 sealant/adhesive covering the base of the mounting brackets. AM Solar 10 gauge duplex wire to the combiner box, then 4 gauge from the combiner box through the refrigerator vent and down to a Victron 50 Amp solar charge controller. There is room to add six more panels to the combiner box if needed. If I add more panels I will probably consider the Rich Solar 100 Watt slim panels--there is room for three down the passenger side. I really like the combiner box--lots of room to work, lots of room for expansion, and the top is sealed with a rubber gasket and lots of fasteners. Also, I left enough slack in the wire at each panel in case I decide to tilt the panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof.jpg   Combiner box open.jpg  

Combiner box closed.jpg  
Old 06-04-2023, 10:00 AM   #6

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
I finally installed the solar panels. Two, 200 Watt Rich Solar panels. AM Solar mounts with 3M VHB tape and Teroson MS 5510 sealant/adhesive covering the base of the mounting brackets. AM Solar 10 gauge duplex wire to the combiner box, then 4 gauge from the combiner box through the refrigerator vent and down to a Victron 50 Amp solar charge controller. There is room to add six more panels to the combiner box if needed. If I add more panels I will probably consider the Rich Solar 100 Watt slim panels--there is room for three down the passenger side. I really like the combiner box--lots of room to work, lots of room for expansion, and the top is sealed with a rubber gasket and lots of fasteners. Also, I left enough slack in the wire at each panel in case I decide to tilt the panels.
Whoa! Teroson MS 5510 adhesive is a permanent solution. I hope no one ever has to to remove the mounts.

I just had to remove the older 160 watt panel with cheap mounts on our new-to-us 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ. The original ower ass u me 'd no one would change the configuration. It was mounted so central behind the AC only 100 watt panes would have fit in that rear area. They used only Dicor for sealant and one pathetic wellnut, but half was behind the AC so limited wind. After purchasing last January, we drove the trailer 6,900 miles (our F150 keeps track of the mileage with the umbilical hooked up). I'm glad I didn't know only Dicor and one worthless wellnut held the panel on the roof!

I'm also adding two Rich Solar 200 watt panels, but the 24v versions. Even the 12v versions don't need 4 awg cable. 10 awg is just fine, 8 awg is more than adequate and 6 awg would be overkill. In series our 24v panels will have 48 volts going to the controller, so the Bigfoot installed 10 awg wires directly to the controller will be overkill.

Since I'm using the 24v panels in series I easily could get by with 12 awg, so 10 awg is more than adequate. We also have a Victron 100/50 controller and I seriously doubt I could get the full 4 awg cable in their bus.

I have our front panel mounted on the opposite side of the sun roof from yours with AM Solar 5 hole mounts (so I can tilt the panels properly for water runoff), and that panel will only need two screws in each of the front camper mounts, if that. Our panel behind the AC is tilted the opposite direction, so water runs off the drivers side. Then our mounts will be covered with Dicor to prevent water reaching the VHB tape.

Having had 463 watts on our previous Escape with a 1,500 watt inverter and 270 ah's of SiO2 batteries we never had an issue. Even though Terry now has a CPAP our two 100 ah SOK batteries should handle our needs just fine.

For jollies I
YouTube'd a video midway through the install of the electrical management system, 2,000 watt inverter, and LiFePO4 batteries.

Food for thought,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:00 AM   #7

Washington
The Teroson was recommended by AM Solar, as was the 4 gauge wire from the combiner box to the charge controller. You do have to trim down the 4 gauge a tiny bit for it to fit into the Victron unit--there is a video on how to do it on the AM Solar YouTube site. Certainly the higher voltage you are using will allow smaller gauge wire. I wired my panels in parallel to reduce possible shading issues.

I'm glad to hear that a similar sized setup on your Escape was adequate--I hope that turns out to be true for our system.

Derek
Old 06-09-2023, 12:59 PM   #8

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
seeking recommendations...

Hello, after almost a year's absence I'm struggling again to finalize wiring on my Lil Bigfoot. Some details about what my questions are can be found here: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...d-93165-3.html starting with post #45.

To clarify... I DO have the wiring I need to run from portable panels to plug (https://powerwerx.com/panelpole-pane...ole-white-dual) installed on exterior of trailer behind the propane tank.

I have moved the new, large (group 29?) battery right over the axel next to wheel well on the passenger side, as I'm very limited in tongue weight and this pushed me a bit over.

The new converter is in the cabinet under the sink. We are also installing the charge controller in that cabinet. Victron warns this will get hot, so my installing friend recommends rubber grommets between it and the cabinet (does this sound like a good plan?)

Wiring from the converter will run under side and rear of trailer seating/cabinetry over to battery on curb side.

We keep getting conflicting information about kind of wiring to use to complete this job. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...d-93165-3.html

I really appreciate ANY and all advice on this install. Having completely missed out last summer, it would be lovely to actually get the trailer out this year and get OUT of the NoCA HEAT!
Old 06-09-2023, 01:51 PM   #9

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
The Teroson was recommended by AM Solar, as was the 4 gauge wire from the combiner box to the charge controller. You do have to trim down the 4 gauge a tiny bit for it to fit into the Victron unit--there is a video on how to do it on the AM Solar YouTube site. Certainly the higher voltage you are using will allow smaller gauge wire. I wired my panels in parallel to reduce possible shading issues.

I'm glad to hear that a similar sized setup on your Escape was adequate--I hope that turns out to be true for our system.

Derek
Unless you're running air conditioning your 400 watts and 270 ah's of batteries should be just fine.

After installing the second panel, I realized there is only about 30" between the front panel wires and the rear panel to the branch connectors. I had that amount sitting around of AM Solar's AMS Custom 10ga Duplex from my Escape install two years ago, so yesterday I wired the two panels in parallel. At 7:45 am this morning the panels were running at 42 volts and the Victron 100/50 controller was putting out 69 watts, or 5 amps. Not bad at 7:45 am. Our 12v panels would not have had enough voltage to put out 69 watts, if any. It's early in the morning, under shade, and late in the day when higher voltage is a benefit. I mainly want 24 volt panels for summer shading.

Sunday we leave for Fort Ridgely State Park, camping four nights to check the installed system for any problems, but will have partial sun. We have another short trip July 2-4th The end of July we travel for the "Family Campout" where we get the campsite underneath a huge tree and then a week near Hibbing in partial shade. In August, we have a week in nearly complete shade at Lake Auburn Campground, near Eden Prairie. Our Escape 5.0 with 463 watts, 12v panels got 70-90 watts two years ago in the middle of the day at the family campout and kept our batteries full. It will be interesting to see what the 400 watts of 24v panels will generate in shade.

One goal is to never have to get the 100 watt portable out

We had 270 ah's of SiO2 batteries in the 5.0, a 1,500 watt inverter, feeding one kitchen outlet for toast, but now have only 200 ah's of batteries, but a 2,000 watt inverter, and Terry now uses a CPAP, and we'll use our microwave a few times, so different usage and equipment.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot