Boondocking an Electric Heater - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #81

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In the meantime, I'll be sipping my coffee made on a propane stove with drip filter and towing a trailer with round wheels.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #82

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you're going to live a retrograde existence, you should really be thoroughgoing about it, Glenn.

Pull that trailer with a horse.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #83

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you're going to live a retrograde existence, you should really be thoroughgoing about it, Glenn.

Pull that trailer with a horse.
Whoa Boy.
Finally got around to replacing the analogue thermostat with a digital one. Now, I'll know, from the display, if I'm warm or not.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #84

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wouldn't it be easier to switch the Celsius display to Fahrenheit? Then you'll be much warmer.

Unless it's 40 below.

Bugeee, keep up the interesting experiment. Afraid I'm a bit retrograde myself, but I'm watching. Please don't tell my wife you've found a way to take a Keurig machine camping...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:37 AM   #85

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
what

I am lost I read all the pages I am now in a haze not pot!

so much to do so little time left at 75 I think I will just camp!! Boondockign at walmarts with a wave 3!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #86

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Before you throw out that old stuff!

I have enjoyed reading through this thread. And while battery power might not be as efficient as other methods of heating (or cooling) it certainly is bound to become increasingly efficient as technology improves with solar panels, inverters and other components.

And before you throw out that old stuff, keep those old UPS battery backup devices for your computers! Even if the batteries are expired you can wire them up to a 12v battery bank for use as an inverter rather than buying a new inverter!

I have been contemplating a method of using solar heating of water to produce a "radiator" using a low amp draw water pump to circulate water from a storage tank (heated during the day by sun and stored for circulation after the sun sets)...

Good luck! Will continue to follow this thread!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #87

Missouri
a/c while boondocking

When I ran my 40f bus I would constantly read on the boards and It was attempted to build up a huge bank of batteries thinking a/c and stuff could be ran by using inverters. Impossible!

The only solution I see is generators and you know what a lot of folks think of those.

there really is no solution out here in the boonies!!

bob
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #88

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Data Point

Just a bit of data.

Its 45 degrees Fahrenheit out here right now. I plugged in the heater and ran it for fifteen minutes. At that point I captured a screenshot of the monitor application and that is attached if you're interested.

Before I started the test I found that the inverter and lights and battery moniter with Bluetooth dongle and probably a relay somewhere were pulling about 1.7 amps just sitting there with no other load. So I zeroed the current calibration of the monitor before running the heater, to isolate the consumption of the heater.

Running the heater as a 120v 700 watt unit, it pulled 65.60 amps from the 12v batteries at the time of this screenshot and it ranged to a low of about 64.90 amps during the test.

You can see it's taxing the bank with a voltage reading of 12.36 under load (it bounces right back up to a full voltage when the load is relieved).

It used a total of 16 amp hours during the 15 minutes. For those keeping score that's a total cost of 8 KCs (Keurig cups).

The cabin was not warm by any definition but the chill had been taken out to some degree, as measured by the feel of my uncapped melon.

I think I need to get a thermometer out here for the next round, to see if this heater is moving the mercury at all and, if so, to what degree.

I've also attached a picture of the loose heater sitting there... just because peeps need pics.

Later Eggers....
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20171025-195822.jpg   IMG_20171025_202130.jpg  

Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #89

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post
I've also attached a picture of the loose heater sitting there... just because peeps need pics.
Well, that's better than an uncapped melon anyways...

1.7 amps is a bit. A stock 1141 incandescent lamp runs about 1.6, more or less.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #90

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Talking ok...to keep this going....

"It used a total of 16 amp hours during the 15 minutes. For those keeping score that's a total cost of 8 KCs (Keurig cups).

The cabin was not warm by any definition but the chill had been taken out to some degree, as measured by the feel of my uncapped melon."

Here is one item, given your cubic footage space, that can take "the chill out to some degree"....I use it now in the BF and used it in a boat for 15 years. One fill lasts two eight hour nights, one bottle of fuel fills it 10-15 times (?) and costs 8 bucks
(looks and feels nice too!)

YMMV......
Attached Thumbnails
lantern.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #91

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
"It used a total of 16 amp hours during the 15 minutes. For those keeping score that's a total cost of 8 KCs (Keurig cups).

The cabin was not warm by any definition but the chill had been taken out to some degree, as measured by the feel of my uncapped melon."

Here is one item, given your cubic footage space, that can take "the chill out to some degree"....I use it now in the BF and used it in a boat for 15 years. One fill lasts two eight hour nights, one bottle of fuel fills it 10-15 times (?) and costs 8 bucks
(looks and feels nice too!)

YMMV......
I have one of those lanterns. Used it for years as my anchor light. Cool.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:02 PM   #92

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
That is an interesting way to monitor your electrical consumption.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:58 PM   #93

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
How much does running the propane stove for 10 min raise the temp feeling? would that be another way to boondock?
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #94

OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Well, that's better than an uncapped melon anyways...

1.7 amps is a bit. A stock 1141 incandescent lamp runs about 1.6, more or less.
Agreed. In chasing down this waste, 0.15 is attributed to an led overhead light and 1.43 is attributed to the inverter in it's ready-to-rock state. The balance I attribute to the 12v led dash lights on my marine AC panel and DC panel.

So the inverter would waste 102.96 amp hours over a three day period (1.43 amps * 24 hours * 3 days). That is a cost of 51.5 spilled coffees. Ouch.

In looking through the manual, the inverter offers a power saving mode (hibernation) that will drop it's stand-by consumption to 0.25 amps. By flipping various dip switches the inverter can be left to sleep and only triggered to "wake up" when asked to deliver a minimum threshold load, ranging from 20 watts to 135 watts as you choose to set it.

So I'll get that set up and save a relative 42 cups of spilled Java over a 3 day boondock experience. (0.25*24*3) vs (1.43*24*3). It's my luck that the switches are located in a manner that will require removal of the inverter from it's nest. I may try one of those little mirrors on a stick. Either way, it will be worth the effort.

Thanks for the prompt CivilGuy, the first saved cup is yours!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170930_103833.jpg  
Old 10-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #95

OH
Ok Franswa and EricAllyn, let's add these to the list, which now looks like this -

Electric heater and promptly depleted battery bank... plus a Weems & Plath Yacht Oil Lamp (aka coal miners lamp), propane stove, hot rock from the campfire, bottle of mint schnapps, two dogs, and a zero degree bag. (No, I did not forget her, but the missus ain't coming on this trip - even with the beautiful brass lamp!)

All good stuff. This is a fun exercise.
Attached Thumbnails
15090243249211939394643.jpg  
Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #96

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post
Agreed. In chasing down this waste, 0.15 is attributed to an led overhead light and 1.43 is attributed to the inverter in it's ready-to-rock state. The balance I attribute to the 12v led dash lights on my marine AC panel and DC panel.

So the inverter would waste 102.96 amp hours over a three day period (1.43 amps * 24 hours * 3 days). That is a cost of 51.5 spilled coffees. Ouch.

In looking through the manual, the inverter offers a power saving mode (hibernation) that will drop it's stand-by consumption to 0.25 amps. By flipping various dip switches the inverter can be left to sleep and only triggered to "wake up" when asked to deliver a minimum threshold load, ranging from 20 watts to 135 watts as you choose to set it.

So I'll get that set up and save a relative 42 cups of spilled Java over a 3 day boondock experience. (0.25*24*3) vs (1.43*24*3). It's my luck that the switches are located in a manner that will require removal of the inverter from it's nest. I may try one of those little mirrors on a stick. Either way, it will be worth the effort.

Thanks for the prompt CivilGuy, the first saved cup is yours!
The specs and settings on the inverter are interesting, at least to me.

Remember that all that electrical device inefficiency basically ends up as heat. So, while you might save a Keurig cup or three, you are "turning down the heat" when you put the inverter into sleep mode. Choose wisely!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #97

Missouri
my solution

I know my solution doesn't suit some but my thinking whenever you convert 12v to 110v just isn't going to be free or work like we think it will not that I haven't thought about it.

My solution is simple a small coleman stove or our 2 burner coleman most of the time the single burner is the best. it runs cheap and is efficient and inside in the cold or rain we get heat!

In cold weather we use our propane fired wave 3 and yes we vent our ceiling and window. No we do not run the windows fully open as someone suggested!

I just think we can expend an awful lot of money and effort in solutions that aren't efficient or wont work in the long run. Not that I don't admire the things some of you try!

bob

bob
Old 10-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #98

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just make sure you have a working Carbon Monoxide monitor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I know my solution doesn't suit some but my thinking whenever you convert 12v to 110v just isn't going to be free or work like we think it will not that I haven't thought about it.

My solution is simple a small coleman stove or our 2 burner coleman most of the time the single burner is the best. it runs cheap and is efficient and inside in the cold or rain we get heat!

In cold weather we use our propane fired wave 3 and yes we vent our ceiling and window. No we do not run the windows fully open as someone suggested!

I just think we can expend an awful lot of money and effort in solutions that aren't efficient or wont work in the long run. Not that I don't admire the things some of you try!

bob

bob
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #99

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Very interesting thread. I have been considering adding an inverter to power my Keurig. It is IMHO the best way to brew coffee. We have a pair of golf cart batteries and the same meter setup. Great news..Thanks for sharing your experiences.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #100

OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Very interesting thread. I have been considering adding an inverter to power my Keurig. It is IMHO the best way to brew coffee. We have a pair of golf cart batteries and the same meter setup. Great news..Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Great news indeed! These people have been fantastic with their contributions to the quest. Enjoy!

Tags
boondocking