Brake Lights/Turn Signals Not Working (Blowing Fuse) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Brake Lights/Turn Signals Not Working (Blowing Fuse)

Hi All,

All external lighting had been working on the Casita until Thursday. We left for a camping trip and noticed that we had no brake lights or turn signals. Running lights and back up lights were working fine.

Read my Borrego (tow vehicle) owner's manual and discovered the trailer brake lights and turn signals operate off the same fuse. Checked the fuse (15 amp small blade fuse). It was blown. I had a spare. Turned on passenger side turn signal. Worked. Turned on driver side turn signal. Did not work. Tried brake lights. Did not work. Went back to passenger side turn signal. Did not work. Checked fuse again. It was blown again.

Any thoughts on why the fuse would be blowing after installing a new one in the Borrego? I am using the correct amp fuse.

Thanks,

Dean
Old 04-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You have a SHORT. Take a multimeter and go looking for it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
I think you'll find a short in the wiring for the drivers side signal.
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #4

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
I agree with the other two respondents. You have a short. It could be in the wiring, probably where the wiring has chafed on the frame or other metal. If by chance you have changed a light bulb recently it is possible the bulb is installed wrong, and could be the cause. This is a possibility with the combination stop/turn bulbs. It is also possible that one of the sockets has shorted out between the contactors to base. Check all your sockets for condition.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You have a frayed wire that is touching the frame or like the above person said something wrong inside a lite fixture.

To make sure the problem is not inside your tow vehicle, unplug the camper, put in a new fuse and test your tow vehicle to make sure it is not there. Always eliminate that vehicle first then proceed down the line. If the tow is OK, first thing to check is the connector then proceed down the line.

If the tow vehicle is OK, Do Not Reconnect the camper. Use a multimeter to check the wiring on the camper. If the wiring runs Underneath the camper, go there and look. The wire in question will be the color associated with the side that blows the fuse.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #6

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
blown fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi All,

All external lighting had been working on the Casita until Thursday. We left for a camping trip and noticed that we had no brake lights or turn signals. Running lights and back up lights were working fine.

Read my Borrego (tow vehicle) owner's manual and discovered the trailer brake lights and turn signals operate off the same fuse. Checked the fuse (15 amp small blade fuse). It was blown. I had a spare. Turned on passenger side turn signal. Worked. Turned on driver side turn signal. Did not work. Tried brake lights. Did not work. Went back to passenger side turn signal. Did not work. Checked fuse again. It was blown again.

Any thoughts on why the fuse would be blowing after installing a new one in the Borrego? I am using the correct amp fuse.

Thanks,

Dean
Dean I have a short in my cars fuel pump wiring that I haven't found yet. The fuse blew on the way to AZ last November and then again when I just came back in March. Had to jury rig a cigar lighter adapter to run power to the fuel pump to keep going and make it back home.

What I have done and am doing right now to find my short is to put a 12 volt buzzer across where the fuse is in the fuse box. Since one side of the fuse is shorted to ground the buzzer will buzz until the short is cleared.

There is test equipment to do the job too

http://www.amazon.com/all-sun-Automo...l+short+finder

Good luck!
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would start at the tail light fixture. It would be the easiest to catch IF that's where it's at. If not, work your way forward. Just one of the little aggravations in the world of RVing. Sounds like some other good suggestions, methods and equipment have been offered as well.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #8

Dean
Your trailer uses the same filament in the bulb(s) for turn signal and brake light.
That's why after replacing the fuse, operating your drivers side signal the brake lights no longer work and the fuse was blown.
The following link is to a handy chart showing the pin positions and wire colors for THE STANDARD RV CONNECTOR that's used in most newer vehicles and trailers including my 1999 Casita 17' SD.

http://www.countrytrailer.com/uploads/7wayplug.pdf

The wire color for the left turn signal/brake light is RED.

I understand that some older Scamps have a different style plug that may or may not have been changed over the years. Also there is/was some misinformation distributed by Casita.

I have personally verified this wiring is exactly how my 1999 Casita 17' SD is wired including inside the trailer.

The above is an attempt to dispel any comments about the above being incorrect that I know to be correct

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Your trailer uses the same filament in the bulb(s) for turn signal and brake light.
That's why after replacing the fuse, operating your drivers side signal the brake lights no longer work and the fuse was blown....
I guess what he is suggesting is that the short is somewhere in the wiring for the left (driver's side) turn signal. Since activation of this signal appears to be the cause of the fuse blowing (and not the other turn or brake signal), that is logical and that is where you should look for the short.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #10

Havent heard from Dean in awhile. T'would be interesting to know the outcome. As we all know, this can happen to any of us.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Thank you for all the wonderful comments and suggestions. I have a much better understanding of what has happened. Unfortunatley, between rain, yard work, and my job, I have not had the time to follow up with Casita. Should have nice weather this weekend and will have some time to check.

I will follow up!

Thx,

Dean
Old 05-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Dean, I once had a single strand of wire in my 7 pin plug, migrate enough to cause a short.....just something else to think about.
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Another odd thing I had happen, one filament in an 1157 bulb broke and caused enough of a short to blow a fuse. This was first day out on a two day trip and I was thinking I would be looking for a shorted wire. Luckily I started at the bulb, and it was a simple fix.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights