Breakaway switch testing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Carl: Always thought the brakes hummed too but wonder if there are variables like temperature that matter. A few days ago I pulled the breakaway pin to test after doing some rewiring in the trailer and heard nothing at the wheels. Proceeded to jack up each wheel and they were locked. No humming.
Dave......could be weather related I suppose. I always get a hum but it is generally warm when I have tested them, either by pulling the breakaway cable or by having my spouse apply the brakes manually from the driver’s seat of the tow vehicle.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:43 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Dave, That makes a lot of sense. I didn't think about the seven pin still being connected.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:43 AM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Dave......could be weather related I suppose. I always get a hum but it is generally warm when I have tested them, either by pulling the breakaway cable or by having my spouse apply the brakes manually from the driver’s seat of the tow vehicle.
I too have heard the hum but why do they hum as they are being energized by DC?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:13 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I too have heard the hum but why do they hum as they are being energized by DC?
Beats me. It has always been my experience that I can hear them if I am close to them and there is no loud background noise. And I’m not trying to be contrary, but I have no reason to determine why they hum. This question might be better answered by an electrical engineer.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:02 AM   #25
Raz

I am an EE and I have no idea. I think we need a physicist. Vibrating domains and such.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #26

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I am an EE and I have no idea. I think we need a physicist. Vibrating domains and such.
Or maybe an exorcist?
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #27

Smith Valley, Nevada
If the brake controllers use PWM to modulate the delivered power to the magnets, it would explain the hum. And I don't see why that power would need to be smoothed out with a capacitor. It seems that is how they work, otherwise there would be a big heat producing resister in the controller.

One possible proof would be if they hum when energized from the brake controller, on a setting less than full on, or 10, but not from the breakaway switch.

I have ceiling fan with a DC motor that hums too.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #28
Raz

Folks said they get the hum when they pull the break away switch which is why I asked the question. I have heard the hum but I don't recall if it was during a test of the breakaway switch. I agree, the controller no doubt has a PWM circuit. It's the best way to control DC. Unfortunately, my trailer is getting buried in snow and the battery is in the basement, so someone else will have to do the testing.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #29

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
I think the wise choice is to test with the 7pin disconnected... A good time to test is during/after bearing service and/or brake adjustment, both when the wheel is off the ground, free to rotate, and easy to observe. Its also a good way to judge the effectiveness of the brakes after adjustment by trying to rotate the wheel.

If my trailer "breaks away" free of the hitch and chains I could care less if 12 volts (or surge pulse) fries my controller as long as the Casita stops without destroying someone's life (and a far second case the insured Casita).
ldsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #30

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsharp View Post

If my trailer "breaks away" free of the hitch and chains I could care less if 12 volts (or surge pulse) fries my controller as long as the Casita stops without destroying someone's life (and a far second case the insured Casita).
If it breaks away from the hitch and chains, it will also disconnect the seven pin.

Rubicon said it the best. It seems like a good idea to have the seven pin pigtail and the breakaway leash longer than the safety chains. And the leash longer than the seven pin pigtail. That would allow a controlled stop, possibly without any damage, in the even the trailer was hanging on the chains.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #31

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Having the tongue of the trailer separate from the ball of the hitch is something you never want to happen, especially if you are moving. Likewise, having the breakaway switch activate while moving isn't good either. On my way home from the Dealership with my last new trialor the breakaway switch activated because they didn't adjust it properly when they hooked it up. The trailer wheels locked up and it stopped the trailer and tug quickly. I got a lot of "hand signals" from other drivers but no collisions! I did see the results of another trailer separating from the hitch. The safety chains kept the trailer tongue from hitting the pavement. The breakaway switch activated and the trailer brakes locked up. It appears the trailer dragging back against the tug kept the safety chains tight and helped to keep the trailer tongue supported. Should the trailer completely separate from the tug, the breakaway switch would lock the trailer wheels to stop it more quickly.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Likewise, having the breakaway switch activate while moving isn't good either. On my way home from the Dealership with my last new trialor the breakaway switch activated because they didn't adjust it properly when they hooked it up. The trailer wheels locked up and it stopped the trailer and tug quickly. I got a lot of "hand signals" from other drivers but no collisions!
This is particularly problematic for other drivers behind you because the brake lights do not light up upon activation of the breakaway switch.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #33

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
True, but it would be even worse for them if there were no emergency brake.
Walt
Old 01-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #34

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
True, but it would be even worse for them if there were no emergency brake.
Walt
Of course under a true breakaway condition. I was responding to Mike_L’s specific situation of the breakaway system activating while he was still hitched.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:04 AM   #35

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This is particularly problematic for other drivers behind you because the brake lights do not light up upon activation of the breakaway switch.
They do on a Black Series trailer, unless it has been altered.

Black Series uses a Curt breakaway controller that gets activated by the breakaway switch. It has the emergency battery, a charger for that battery, wiring to the brake circuit and an output for brake lights that feeds through diodes into the brake light circuit.

Brake lights working with the breakaway system might even be an RVIA requirement for certification, but I'm not sure about that.

Most or all modern trucks, set up for towing, have a trailer brake test system that alerts you if the trailer becomes unplugged. This is done by voltage pulses put into the trailer braking circuit that the truck can read. It knows if there is an open circuit and alerts you on the dash. One of the problems with this system is that is can feed into the breakaway control box and feed through the diodes into to brake light circuit. When this happens, the brake lights blink at about once per second in response to the test pulses, almost like the emergency flasher system.

On mine, I decided the dedicated emergency battery and control box was a bad idea and removed it. Now, the breakaway is powered by the house batteries. And in the process, I fixed the blinking tail lights.

The house batteries are a better source for breakaway braking power because you always know they are charged when you are using the trailer, but with the emergency battery, there is no way to always know if it is charged, unless you keep testing it frequently.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #36

Name: R.W. Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 25B175CB
Alberta
When the Breakaway Switch activates, either in an Emergency or in Testing, how do You deactivate it?

i.e. once the Trailer Brakes lock up, how deactivate ??

Thank You.
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #37

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hercules View Post
When the Breakaway Switch activates, either in an Emergency or in Testing, how do You deactivate it?

i.e. once the Trailer Brakes lock up, how deactivate ??

Thank You.
They are activated when the plastic pin is pulled out of the breakaway switch aloowing the electric circuit to complete. To deactivate them, simply plug the plastic pin back into the switch to break the electric circuit.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #38

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Once you are safely stopped, and are getting ready to re hitch, plug in the pin that pulled out to activate them, its re-useable, and self explanatory once you look closer

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #39

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
When tripping a breakaway switch while connected, and the voltage back feeds the tow vehicle, will it damage the controller or on-board computer? Mine is factory installed on a Ford F150. But I recall warnings years ago in another RV group, that it would damage things.
If properly wired, the break-away should simply apply 100% of TOAD/TRAILER battery voltage to the trailer brakes/ toad brake operator.
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #40

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Trailer brakes are electric. An electromagnet is activated when it receives power to apply the brakes. The plastic plug in the breakaway switch keeps two internal electrical contacts from connecting to keep the circuit open which prevents the magnets from activating. Removing the plastic plug allows these electrical contacts to come into contact with each other, close the circuit and activate the magnets to apply the brakes. Reinserting the plastic plug separates the internal electrical contacts to deactivate the magnets and release the brakes.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote