Broken prong on the cord to the fuse box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

Name: Wenonah
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Ohio
Broken prong on the cord to the fuse box

I tried to plug the electricity in to my home to test the electrical. The cord has three prongs. The bottom one broke off in the extension cord. Can anyone tell me if this is repairable without replacing the cord all the way back to the fuse box. This is a 1989 Scamp 13'. Thanks for any suggestions, we were hoping to leave Monday, I know that is probably out of the question. If I need a new cord, would you have any suggestions about what type I might purchase?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-03 16.03.21.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	106917
Wenonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Something like this might be available locally if you don't have time to order it:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55245-P...2MQM0E0NYNC0TD
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
After I posted that I realized that depending on your amp needs a good regular 20 amp cord repair end will for sure be available at Lowes or Home Depot and should work to get you through a trip.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #4

Ohio
Amps?

Timberwolf,

Do you know how I can tell what amps my electrical system is?
Old 06-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #5

Ohio
yay, you tube

I just watched several you tube videos and this definitely looks doable. My only lack of understanding is whether I need 20 or 30 amps and how you can tell the difference.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenonah View Post
I just watched several you tube videos and this definitely looks doable. My only lack of understanding is whether I need 20 or 30 amps and how you can tell the difference.
My elec-trick-al knowledge is rather limited. I'm pretty sure the 30 Amp has a different blade configuration. i.e. 20 amp are | | and 30 amp / \.
Your photo above looks more like a 15/20 amp to me. A 20 amp end will just be a bit more robust if you only require 15.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Timberwolf,

Do you know how I can tell what amps my electrical system is?
Look at the number o the main breaker. It will say either 20 or 30. The photo you posted appears to be a 20 amp plug.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #8

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Look at the number o the main breaker. It will say either 20 or 30. The photo you posted appears to be a 20 amp plug.
Where would the number on the main breaker be? I don't see a number on it? Also, will a 20 amp work in campgrounds? I should be buying a 20 amp, not a 30 correct?
Old 06-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #9

Ohio
20 to 30 amp?

All of the replacement plugs I am seeing for RVs on Amazon are 30 amp. Even though the current plug is a 20 amp plug, am I safe putting a 30 amp replacement plug on the cord or does the cord somehow have to match the cord? As I recall, the outlets in most campgrounds are for 30 amp plugs. Adapter?
Old 06-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Are you the original owner of this trailer? Have any modifications been made?
Its risky to try and give advice without inspecting this camper in person, especially if there is even a chance someone has modified the original. I suggest you find someone who can look at it in person and help ID the parts. It does not have to be a licensed electrician or even a RV repair shop, just someone who know what to look for.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'd put the 20 amp plug on. You may want to plug the trailer in at home or at someones place camped in their driveway.

Then pick up a separate 30 amp to 20 amp adapter for about $10. That will cover you for the 30 amp sites. I've only used mine a handful of times over the years mostly at 1 campground where there is a fg meet. The campgrounds electrical system is old and their 30 amp is on a different line. Hooking up to the 30 helped keep the campground breakers from tripping for the other campers.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Are you the original owner of this trailer? Have any modifications been made?
Its risky to try and give advice without inspecting this camper in person, especially if there is even a chance someone has modified the original. I suggest you find someone who can look at it in person and help ID the parts. It does not have to be a licensed electrician or even a RV repair shop, just someone who know what to look for.
Gordon, No I am not the original owner. It is a 1989 Scamp. I know that an air-conditioner has been added but it has its own outlet. When I purchased the scamp, the electrical worked fine and so did the air conditioner. As far as I know the only issue is the broken prong.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #13

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
There is a 15 on the switch on the box under the sink. I am assuming that means it is a 15 amp service.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Gordon, No I am not the original owner. It is a 1989 Scamp. I know that an air-conditioner has been added but it has its own outlet. When I purchased the scamp, the electrical worked fine and so did the air conditioner. As far as I know the only issue is the broken prong.
This just reinforces my original instinct... a rooftop A/C typically is supposed to have 20 amp breaker just for it alone, although Scamp got by with 15 amp breakers for the A/C for sometime. If its a window type A/C that is approved for running on a 15 amp circuit, then having a 15 amp capacity for the entire trailer is asking for problems - there is little or no reserve capacity on a 15, and if roof air, a 20 amp outlet. You might have got by with that if you never used the A/C (or the A/C was not in it's high amp start-up) at the same time as other things that in sum would cause an overload, but an overload would be likely sooner or later.

A 20 amp plug has one prong rotated 90 degrees and the 20 amp outlet has a T shaped slot so it takes a 15 or 20 amp plug. A 15 amp plug will fit into a 15 or 20 amp outlet but should not be allowed to use over 15 amps. In my experience most campgrounds have 15, 30 and maybe 50 amp outlets but not so many have 20 amp outlets.

So I just read what I wrote and I realized it is about as clear as mud, but thats because there are so many unknowns that I don't know where to start. Please get some help to make sure the rig is safely wired.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
I tried to plug the electricity in to my home to test the electrical. The cord has three prongs. The bottom one broke off in the extension cord. Can anyone tell me if this is repairable without replacing the cord all the way back to the fuse box. This is a 1989 Scamp 13'. Thanks for any suggestions, we were hoping to leave Monday, I know that is probably out of the question. If I need a new cord, would you have any suggestions about what type I might purchase?

Attachment 106917
As usual, there is no quick and final answer.

The plug in the picture is a standard 15 amp household plug, these are commonly used on 20 amp circuits with no problems. They are also used to connect a 30 amp trailer into a standard 20 amp receptacle in the house, but don't try to run an electric heater and the air conditioning at the same time. The adapters are for convenience, but not for full power. Use some discretion. I leave mine plugged in all the time, with a household plug, running the battery charger and refrigerator.

You can get a replacement plug (cord cap) and install it. Look for the heaviest duty one you can find and it might say 20 amps. Just cut off your cord and install the new plug. Be careful and keep the color coded wires in the right order.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
For the time being replace like for like. You have a 15 amp plug. You can go into any hardware store and get a replacement plug to put on the end of your cord. It is not difficult to wire them. I have replaced quite a few plugs over the years of various amperage. It is something you can do in the parking lot of the store which is not a bad idea just in case you need a pair of wire cutters, sharp knife blade, etc.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Wenona,

I think you should be able to go camping Monday.

You can readily purchase a 15A plug at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. The plugs run from about $3 to about $8.

Cut the old plug off along with an inch of the cable and take it in to the store.

This video was one of the better ones I found. It is important to get the wires connected properly. In the picture I attached (below the video), the green wire connects to the round brass-colored plug, the white wire connects to the silver-colored blade plug, and the black wire connects to the brass-colored blade plug.

Most of the plugs you can buy won't have the blades color-coded, but the connections inside will be color coded.

If you are still not comfortable, try to ask more questions or get more help.

Attached Thumbnails
15 amp plug.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
A 30 amp can replace a 20 amp but not vice versa. Replacement plugs are available from RV stores. They will come with installation instructions. Adapters are also available.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
A 30 amp can replace a 20 amp but not vice versa. Replacement plugs are available from RV stores. They will come with installation instructions. Adapters are also available.
What!

Replacing a 20 amp plug with a 30 amp plug would "suggest" that you could safely plug something wired for 20 amps (because it had a 20 amp plug to begin with) into an outlet providing 30 amps. You could replace a 30 amp plug with a 20 amp plug because the 20 amp outlet would deliver less current than the 30 amp wiring is capable of carrying safely. Unless I am misinterpreting what you are saying, you are providing bad advice.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Agree
Replacing a 20a plug w/30a plug on a 20a circuit is a horrible idea
After retiring w/30 yrs from power utility i ve seen alot of stupid DIY repairs and this is one of the most common
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote