Buying a Honda Generator Advise - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I bought it new from a Honda Dealer in Merced California, on sale for $900.00 about 8 years ago

I keep it because we get cold winters and our power goes out occasionally in the winter.
It runs my pellet stove.

I ran it the day I made the post as I haven't run it since last summer.
Fortunately I had gas stabilizer in it and it started on the second pull.
Can't beat anything Honda.
John
I was kiddin' around with my "Red arrows" post, Perry- just a a sorta tongue-in-cheek suggestion that your garage might be the "place to look for a bargain", it containing a four-year-old genny that is virtually unused.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #22

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I purchased 2 Honda 2000 gennies to run the roof air. One 3000 watt Honda weighed too much for me to heft around. That being said we have only used the AC one time in 2 years when boon docking.
I have also used one of the Hondas to re-charge my group 27 battery when discharged to about 85% after an evenings use with CPAP and lighting draws. It took about 3 hours to get the battery to 100% charge with the Scamp's stock converter doing duty. That was un-acceptable to me.
I now use solar to silently do the same job in about 2 hours with a MTTP controller on sunny days, and about 4 hours when gray. No noise, no fuel.
We still haul one of the Hondas to run the microwave for potatoes, or for charging when dark.
As to buying "red", you may pay a little more, but you are buying into a stellar reputation for quality that has been proven. If they weren't worth the price nobody would buy them. I have never been disappointed with any Honda product, and I have owned many.
Last weekend we were camped at Doheny Beach CA. As we were enjoying an evening cocktail the camper in the next site fired up his $295.00 6000 watt generator to re-charge his batteries. It sounded like it was going to take off to the moon. He ran it for 3 hours at about 98DB. I sure wish he would have invested in solar......, or at least a Honda.
My ears are still ringing.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Lots of good advise (advice, btw, I know the difference but could not get the title changed, lol).

We tend to camp at nice quiet national forest campgrounds or state parks. I laugh at some of the noisy generator comments. last summer we were at least 7 very large sites away from the loudest generator I ever heard in my life. They ran it for about 4 hours in the afternoon. When it shut off there was complete silence around the entire lake for about maybe 20 seconds. Then the whole campground erupted in cheers and hollers of "Glory be! She's off!!!" That's a big reason why I'm gonna go with a nice quiet Honda.

We must all have cabin fever with the amounts of comments. Can't wait to begin camping and get out of this winter which has been very bad in WI this year. Anyway, yes, will be using it for camping mostly but outages as well and a few other items or places too. Not that I won't also consider solar as I am very green in thought and practice. The cpap machine put me over the edge for generators. Before it(cpap) I stopped breathing 32 times an hour when tested. I was nearly dead so I can't go without. Cpap is the best thing I ever did. I sleep hard and never take naps or nod off after work anymore.

Question about charging a battery on a Scamp. Should I be charging to the camper plug or direct drive to the battery. Last poster said it takes 3 hours through the camper power. Would it be better to use the 12v directly to recharge. The battery does very well and we use little power except for the cpap machine at night. I would just need to top off every other day or so on extended trips.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just read the stats on the other generators and you will find many of them meet the National Campground requirements concerning DB (noise).
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And exactly what is that standard???

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Just read the stats on the other generators and you will find many of them meet the National Campground requirements concerning DB (noise).
Hey, aren't you the spray paint guy. Good idea. When I get the Honda I am gonna paint it orange or yellow, and slap some Champion or Generac stickers all over it so it won't get stolen.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #27

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Dave,
My Scamp had the American brand converter. It was a basic unit that was not "smart". It also was mounted in the rear of the trailer while the battery was on the tongue. The wire size was small, so voltage to the battery was lower than ideal and required more time to charge, and never really got a full charge. I switched out the converter to a Iota which has a smart charging scheme. The wire size was increased so the battery was getting enough voltage to do the job. It now charges in about the same time as the Morningstar MTTP smart solar charger which is pretty optimal for the battery. I use the Iota for maintenance charging when home in lieu of the solar due to the panels being portable and having to deploy them. Both systems do the job.
As Darwin posted, there are generators other than Honda that are quiet, but listen before you buy.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #28

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
The posters who recommend Wise Sales or Mayberry's are pretty much correct. Depending on time of year & other factors, they will probably be as competitive pricewise as anyone. I've had my 2000i for probably 8-9 yrs. Pretty sure I got it from Mayberry's but may have been Wise. Wise website right now shows $999 while Mayberry's shows $949. Next month prices may be just reversed or, both may have 'em for a few dollars less. As another poster mentioned, prices don't vary a lot between dealers. They're worth whatever you pay...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #29

Trailer: Helite
Park Service Noise Levels:

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdfimage/92231301.pdf
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #30

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
depends on the park, and the rangers.... so far have had no complaints in the 2 state parks i camp at frequently.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
According to the link in Arts Post #29. the limit for National Park Campgrounds appears to be 60dB. The Honda EU2000E appears to have a full load noise level at 59dB, barely below that number.

I say appears because neither of those figures are sourced as being measured at exactly the same distance and conditions etc.

BUT: I don't think that I have ever heard a 2000 watt generator that was quieter than the Honda EU2000i and, in being good campground company, quiet is #1 in priority, a word that a lot of less considerate campers are unware exists as they run their 5000 wall contractors site generators to charge batteries and watch their 60" TV in the woods.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #32

Trailer: Helite
Generator specifications are printed in their manuals and on the box. Just make sure it meets the park specs and you will Be ok.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
According to the link in Arts Post #29. the limit for National Park Campgrounds appears to be 60dB. The Honda EU2000E appears to have a full load noise level at 59dB, barely below that number.

I say appears because neither of those figures are sourced as being measured at exactly the same distance and conditions etc.

Been awhile since I last posted my longstanding "Honda lies!" rant, but since you bring up distance...here goes!

Honda generator noise levels are measured at a distance of twenty-five feet. The EU comes in at 59 db, others somewhat higher.
So far, so good.
Here's where the lie comes in: they continue to use "human speech is 60 db" as a comparative reference point. See one of many such references at this link They make this "comparison" repeatedly and have done so for years despite the fact that speech is measured at three feet. ( link)

Correcting for distance so that speech and genny noise can be truthfully compared: 59 db at twenty-five feet is in fact almost 80db at three feet. ( link) A very significant difference, especially since the "loudness scale" compounds as it rises. This real "compared-to-speech" noise level explains why one never sees a user placing a genny anyplace near where they might want to carry on a conversation. Most folks would find it impossible to do so while being subjected to noise levels that high

Bringing human speech into the comparison at all is nothing but a cleverly deceptive and very effective marketing ploy, aka a lie.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #34
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
I bought 3 Honda generators over the years and each time I had to put some effort into finding the best price. The first one was purchased at a small commercial generator service center that just picked up the Honda consumer generator line. They were eager to make their first sales and offered me a great price. The second one was purchased at White Cap Construction Supply. Again, they offered a good price for a limited time. The last one I purchased was at Camping World. Honda and Camping World had a promotion going on at the time and I was able to combine the two for a great price. I also asked the store manager for an additional discount and he gave it to me. So, my advice is to do your homework and don't be afraid to ask for a discount, match a price offered elsewhere, etc. - anything to get the best price. BTW, I don't think you can go wrong with the Honda.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #35

RE: Honda Rant:
Yet I guess we should never buy anything that the manufacturer didn't adhere to absolute "Truth in advertising". Just think of all the money we would save by not buying anything or going anywhere.... LOL

I have stood within a few feet of my own Honda EU2000 and carried on a discussion without difficulty. But when I used it, I usually tried to place it as far as possible from anyone, just to be a good camper.

Regardless of advertising twists, Honda still rules the portable generator field and, should I need another one, that will again be my choice.

"The bitter taste of lesser quality lingers on, long after the sweetness of a low price is gone." -Someone-

Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #36

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I bought a Honda 2000I from Weiss Sales. We don't use it very much. But take it on long trips with us just incase. Our solar charge system keeps everything charged.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

"The bitter taste of lesser quality lingers on, long after the sweetness of a low price is gone." -Someone-
Oh, please- "quality"? As if that's a marketing parameter these days. I suggest that a more relevant quotation per what folks will swallow is the following:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

Not just "someone", but our very own Mark Twain made that observation a very long time ago. A comment on the gullibility of The American Public, still just as true as it was in 1895. As witness the perception that Honda generators somehow represent that Lofty Ideal.

Congratulations, Honda North America!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Francesca,
Why have you chosen to rant against Honda? They have the reputation they have for the products they manufacture, not because of some claim in some ad.
You seem to be taking it personally.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #39

And, besides lies, there is attribution that may be incorrect?

From Wiki:
Mark Twain popularized the saying in "Chapters from My Autobiography", published in the North American Review in 1906. "Figures often beguile me," he wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"[1]
Alternative attributions include, among many others (for example Walter Bagehot and Arthur James Balfour) the radical English journalist and politician Henry Du Pré Labouchère (1831–1912), and British politician and man of letters Leonard H. Courtney, who used the phrase in 1895 and two years later became president of the Royal Statistical Society.[2] Courtney referred to a future statesman, not a past one.[3]
The earliest instance of the phrase found in print dates to a letter written in the British newspaper National Observer on June 8, 1891, published June 13, 1891, p. 93(-94): NATIONAL PENSIONS [To the Editor of The National Observer] London, 8 June 1891 "Sir,--It has been wittily remarked that there are three kinds of falsehood: the first is a 'fib,' the second is a downright lie, and the third and most aggravated is statistics. It is on statistics and on the absence of statistics that the advocate of national pensions relies....." Later, in October 1891, as a query in Notes and Queries, the pseudonymous questioner, signing as "St Swithin", asked for the originator of the phrase, indicating common usage even at that date.[3] The pseudonym has been attributed to Eliza Gutch.[4]
Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #40

I'm sitting in a motel room with nothing better to do.

Tags
generator