Buying a Honda Generator Advise - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Buying a Honda Generator Advise

I posted the following on another site that I like to go to but thought I might want to ask the same question here as you guys tend to have lots of insight for this type of stuff.

I am in need of getting a small generator for use with my Scamp (no A/C). My brother has a Honda eu2000i and I am very impressed with it to the point that it is the one I want to get. Me and most everyone else.

I know there are other brands but I didn't post to argue that there may be better deals to be had as I don't care, it will be red no matter what it will cost me. I just want some buying advice of where and when to get some kind of deal as the prices seem all the same wherever I look, and they are all high right now. I looked around a few years back and saw prices at times around $850, but now all I see is something north of $950. I thought a few seconds about buying used but these Honda's look exactly the same with 2 hours or 20,000 hours so I am not doing that.

So, where did you get one or what place should I look? Any discounts or coupons, etc.?
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have a Honda Generator in my garage that's been sitting UNUSED for 4 years.
For less than a third of the cost of the 2000i you can install a 60w solar system that should take care of all your normal electrical needs, including running you furnace in sub freezing temps.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Northern tool has Honda's and other less expensive generators.
Costco has a camping gen for around $600.
A can of RED paint is less than $8.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Ah Perry, I just had to look up "solar" and "sun" in wikipedia because I forgot what it was or looked like, lol.

No way would I get enough light to recharge my battery on extended trips. I run a c-pap machine at night and my battery can run it for about 2 days. I wouldn't be charging that much but I sure as heck can't be waiting for the sun in a part of the country that sees it less than 50% of the time. I will also be using it during power outages.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Perhaps in addition to the solar you might consider an upgrade to a Group 27 battery, or if you have the room consider dual 6 volts. My son, who travels with us, uses a cpap machine plugged into 12 volt and we can get about 8 days in mid summer, no furnace is used but lighting and pump. This is with dual 6 volt.

I know how dark those Wisconsin campsites can be and therefore I use a portable solar panel to better chase those rays.

Like you, I started with a love affair for the Honda gen, then I looked at theft issues, carrying extra fuel, fumes and a bit of noise. That seemed too much, I thought solar was too expensive and to complicated, so wanted a red one. Now I am glad I went solar, it was pretty easy.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
To try to answer your real question....

Lomita Lawnmower Repair in SoCal is an authorized Honda Generator dealer and, at least in the past, offered exceptional prices on Honda generators. Give them a call to check their prices if you like. They will ship:

Lomita Mower & Saw Shop

<LI class=mod> Address: 2344 Lomita Blvd, Lomita, CA 90717
Phone:(310) 326-2326

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Vtec (Dave), I have used a 100 watt solar panel on our 13' Scamp, running an electric refrigerator 24/7 for 60 days straight up the west (wet/foggy) coast for a couple of summers, and never even came close to using 50% capacity on a single group 27 battery (just food for thought). With that being said I will now be having an all electric trailer (at least until we return to Arizona after 4 months of use 1st) that has air conditioning, so I was going to purchase a little Honda generator, but listened to those on the FGRV site, and after checking out the specs., advantages of gas shut-off, 3 x longer engine life expectancy, and ten dollars cheeper, I purchased a Yamaha 2000i , from "Electric Generators Direct"
They also sell the Honda you are looking for, but I don't understand why you would post based on your statement " I didn't post to argue that there may be better deals to be had as I don't care, it will be red no matter what it will cost me."
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #8

Wisconsin
"They also sell the Honda you are looking for, but I don't understand why you would post based on your statement " I didn't post to argue that there may be better deals to be had as I don't care, it will be red no matter what it will cost me."
Dave & Paula

Dave, please read the rest of the paragraph.

"I just want some buying advice of where and when to get some kind of deal as the prices seem all the same wherever I look, and they are all high right now. I looked around a few years back and saw prices at times around $850, but now all I see is something north of $950. I thought a few seconds about buying used but these Honda's look exactly the same with 2 hours or 20,000 hours so I am not doing that."

Translation, I am going to buy a Honda EU2000i, period. So, if you know where there is a good deal, special, or bought one from a place and had a good experience, let me know. That is the information I am seeking. After reading some of the comments I am wondering why I bothered as well, but I am getting the info I need. Thanks much Bob M, I will be giving them a call on Monday.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Dave, got my 2000i 4 or 5 years back from Mayberry's, had it in a few days. I paid just under $850 then, which was the best I could find from a reputable dealer. They show $950 now with free shipping.
I've used it more times at home during outages then I have for camping, but I'm glad I have it. Fairly quiet (if you can consider any generator quiet) and a tank lasts for 11 hours when just charging the batteries or running the home fridge and furnace. The 1000i would be cheaper, and easier to carry around, but would take longer to charge with.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Alabama
Anyone have the Hyundai 2000i?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
So, where did you get one or what place should I look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I have a Honda Generator in my garage that's been sitting UNUSED for 4 years.
John

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Honda products are very good

In the world of small boat sailing the favorite outboard of choice is the Honda 2hp outboard motor. they cost a few hundred more than a comparable Suzuki or Yamaha.

I've owned both the little Honda and the little Suzuki.

For something used as lightly on a sailboat as an outboard I think the Suzuki was the better choice.

In the world of small generators the same may be true. If you are only using a generator for a few hours at a time a few weekends a year a good name generator other than a Honda would suffice.

I'm excluding cheapo generators from places like Harbor Freight though.

Generally iffy reviews and reported to be very noisy.

As to saving money, places like Lowe's and Home Depot sometimes offer discounts for military vets. I understand at Lowes you can get 10% off on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day if you are a vet.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I get a discount at Lowe's everytime I go in.
I have a military card.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #14

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

I bought it new from a Honda Dealer in Merced California, on sale for $900.00 about 8 years ago

I keep it because we get cold winters and our power goes out occasionally in the winter.
It runs my pellet stove.

I ran it the day I made the post as I haven't run it since last summer.
Fortunately I had gas stabilizer in it and it started on the second pull.
Can't beat anything Honda.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Vtec, I think Hondas are like Levi jeans......they are fair traded and the price is pretty much the same all over.
As I think I've mentioned before, a friend of mine with almost 50 years of commercial repair on small gas powered equipment told me. "If you buy a generator buy a Honda". This was strickly from his repair/dependablity expirience.
I have two, 2000 & 3500 that I use for different things. Like one of the last posters said , more for power outages at home than camping. I will happily say the the 2000 ran my roof air on the SD for 8 1/4 hours on a tank of gas during a 25 hour power outage with a 90 degree night time temp.
BTW, even though I try to run them on a schedule for maintanence I do add STA-BIL or Seafoam as they do sit unused for a while.
Sorry Vtec, I got a bit sideways but I don't think you're really going to find any big difference on a new price. I did buy my 2000 used and it's been fine. Maybe the poster that hasn't used his genny in four years may want to sell it
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Hi Dave,

When the word generator is mentioned, the solar people all pop up withe the solar is better. For alot of applications it is ...but for quickly recharging your batteries, or running an air conditioner or other higher powered equiptment your going to need either a very large battery bank or a generator.

I went with a yamaha ef2400 only because after huracaine sandy and being with out power I got the smallest generator that could run my mom's fridge and the 2000 watt model would be struggling to do the job (I think the compressor when running needed around 1800 or so watts) so I went with the next size up and that's yamaha's model. They are fairly similar but mine is a bit larger and heavier.

This is where I got mine...I caught it on sale for a $100 off

Honda EU2000i Super Quiet Generator (EU2000iA) 2000 watt | Wise Sales

best of luck

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: Escape
New York
Registry
Back in about 2008 this site had a deal with Wise Sales on the internet. E had a new 2000i sent to the house with a battery charger cord thrown in for about $850. Total. All we had to do was mention this site and the deal for price and the charger. Was no problem. We love the Honda.
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Honda R&D is looking at the next version of the EU2000i but I don't know when it will come to market. They want your feedback here
12V Charging Survey
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #19

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Isn't the new Honda TD3000I generator supposed to be powered by a 25cc Turbocharged Diesel.... Uses but 2 oz. of fuel an hour, puts out 3000 watts, weighs 27 lbs., and is so quiet that they had to put a proximity sensor on it so users didn't trip over it when it was running? (LOL)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Deryk,

My 2000 runs everything I need to keep cool, one at a time of course. The 27cf refer in the kitchen only kicks up the rpm's a little over idle.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator