Camping in the driveway-electrical question - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 03:26 AM   #61
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
A lot of people seem to believe that as long as they don't trip a circuit breaker they are golden. But as I have said a number of times, my primary concern is with voltage drop that is too much so that the A/C compressor is, or might be damaged. As I understand things, one can damage the compressor with low voltage without ever tripping a breaker. If any HVAC techs are here I hope they will speak to this concern.
When I was in college I worked for an AC manufacturer testing compressors. One test we did was a locked rotor test on the thermal switch (Klixon) to see how long it took to cycle. Too low a voltage would stall the motor inside the compressor causing a similar situation. If the breaker didn't pop, the Klixon would (assuming they are still in use ). That said, a 50 ft. 12 gauge extension cord at maximum current (20 amps) would drop about 3 volts. Not enough to worry about. Rest easy
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:56 AM   #62

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Another extension cord tip.... If you are pushing the limits, like 20A actual load on a 12 ga cord, do not leave the excess cord tightly coiled up, loop it out in the open so it can cool better.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:17 AM   #63

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
In a post above I read about using a 240 volt 30 amp dryer plug to power a RV either with an extension cord or tapping off for a plug somehwere.
The 240 dryer plug is fed two 180 degree out of phase 120 volt circuits at thirty amps each.
This would be just like a 50 amp RV feed, tow 120 volt feeds, out of pahse.
Read from hot to hot 240 and 120 hot to neutral.
If you just tapped off from ONE Hot and the Neutral then you would have a 30 amp 120 volt feed and no problem.
This would be THREE wires, HOT, NEUTRAL, and GROUND and be perfectly safe, or at least as safe as any 120 volt extension cord.
By the way the 50 amp RV connector is also a 240 volt feed and feeds 240 volts to the trailer and within the trailer the 120 volt feeds are kept separate and power feeds 0f 120 volts within the trailer.
As far as I know no RV's actually are wired to use 240 volts for any appliance or circuit which makes using a 50 amp to 30 amp converter plug possible, tying the 120 single phase to both 120 volt feeds in trailer distribution system.
Also the 50 amp to 30 amp converter plug uses just one side of the two phase 240 power to the trailer giving one 120 volt feed.
As an aside I have built a (suicide) cord to connect my single phase power inverter generator into my garage welding plug to power both 120 volt inside breaker box (normally fed with those two out of phase 120 volts components of 240 volt power).
This allows the SINGLE PHASE 120 volts circuits to be used (But never the 240 volt appliances since the actual voltage provided to the would be ZERO.
I would turn off the big users and the 240 breakers and isolate the feed to that panel in the case of hurricane power outages.
The cord is a suicide cord because it has exposed power prongs on BOTH ends to connect the generator and the welding receptacle.
As an electrical engineer I have a vague idea of what to do, but do NOT copy if you are not absolutely certain what should be done and how to do it safely
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #64

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
With the temperature in the shade at 91į, 76% humidity and no house AC, I may be camping in the driveway this afternoon! With a 25' #12 extension cord, the AC in the trailer is drawing 11 amps @ 109 volts. I can live with that...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #65

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of NC/SW Desert of UT
Registry
We used to do that when we lived in Seattle. House had no AC. So for about ten days every summer we lived in our fifth wheel in the driveway.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #66

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
We used to do that when we lived in Seattle. House had no AC. So for about ten days every summer we lived in our fifth wheel in the driveway.
Weíve been sleeping in our Casita for the last two nights
We are experiencing a heatwave with temps in the 90ís and high humidity so the A/ C in our trailer is working overtime
Today we are back in the 60ís so life is good .

My hat is off to those who live in the Southern US
Living with that constant heat and humidity for months on end takes a special kind of person . I am uncomfortable
when we get temps in the 80ís . Thankfully Winter is not that far off
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #67

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Anyone who says that they do not need an air conditioner has not traveled or lived in the South in the summer.
Sometimes even in the fall and winter we are in shorts!
I remember Christmas in shorts with the AC on.
This was before global warming and...
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #68

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Oh, well, Florida, the South, those 9 days a year in Seattle where you want to dive into an arctic pool...

Never thought about getting a portable AC for Peanut for the summer here! NOW I won't think of anything else until that dream is a reality! We don't need it "often," but boy, I am personally, physically unprepared for those melting days!

I shall be sure to check power draw and make sure to have a big, fat, short, exterior power cord for it!

BEST
Kai
Old 07-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #69
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Another extension cord tip.... If you are pushing the limits, like 20A actual load on a 12 ga cord, do not leave the excess cord tightly coiled up, loop it out in the open so it can cool better.
Good idea - I used a 100ft 14ga to power an electric wood chipper years ago, the surplus was wrapped around a plastic cord reel. Got hot enough to melt the plastic hub so you could see how tight the cord was wrapped by the pattern.........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical