Can the exterior 12v light be converted to 120? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trail Mite
Michigan
Registry
Can the exterior 12v light be converted to 120?

I have a Trail Mite, very similar to the Boler and Scamp. All of the wires have been cut to every exterior light and there are no interior lights. There is currently a porch light that used to run on 12v. I've decided not to have a battery and not to run 12v wires. I'm going to only have 2 - 120 interior wall sconces. Does the exterior light have to be 12v or can I run 120? The light has to be replaced regardless. Has anyone seen an appropriate light fixture for this scenario? Obviously I wouldn't want anything with a glass dome.
Mitten Mitsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:35 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Converted, no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Mitsie View Post
I have a Trail Mite, very similar to the Boler and Scamp. All of the wires have been cut to every exterior light and there are no interior lights. There is currently a porch light that used to run on 12v. I've decided not to have a battery and not to run 12v wires. I'm going to only have 2 - 120 interior wall sconces. Does the exterior light have to be 12v or can I run 120? The light has to be replaced regardless. Has anyone seen an appropriate light fixture for this scenario? Obviously I wouldn't want anything with a glass dome.
Fixture and wires (stranded not solid) will need to be changed to parts rated for 120 VAC (nominal). This old post is a good place to start.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ght-46138.html
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:25 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
SO you'll never need lighting when you're not in an RV park with 120V hookups?

most 120V bulbs are *WAY* too bright for the outdoor 'porch' application, unless you like blindingly bright lights so you can ONLY see whats right next to the trailer. Also exterior RV lights are rarely really waterproof, and if they get wet inside, 120VAC can be a shock hazard.

I would consider getting a 120V to 12V transformer rated at maybe 5-10 amps, repairing the original wires and connecting them to this, then use 12V lamps in the existing outdoor fixture. that transformer will be quite small. something like this will handle up to 72 watts of lamps...
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...er-15-1077.axd

hook the black and white wires up to your 120V distribution panel, hook the yellow wires to the 12V loads. Note this is 12V AC not 12V DC. regular light bulbs don't care, and *SOME* LEDs will work, you have to read their spec sheets to verify they support AC... the sort of LED that would work will say something like 9-24VDC and 9-18VAC.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #4

Mid Left Coast
no fan or furnace or water pump ? that stuff is all 12VDC too (well, the furnace is propane but needs 12V for its fan)
Old 12-16-2021, 10:38 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Some LEDs are too bright also

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
most 120V bulbs are *WAY* too bright for the outdoor 'porch' application, unless you like blindingly bright lights so you can ONLY see whats right next to the trailer. Also exterior RV lights are rarely really waterproof, and if they get wet inside, 120VAC can be a shock hazard.
I replaced my wet light with the new style LED and found it too bright, I placed two layers of yellow electrical tape on it and it was still too bright. I added BLACK tape and now it is just right.
Attached Thumbnails
35a OUTSIDE LIGHT.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
12v lights

If you used 12v auto type LED lights/fixtures you probably could light the trailer with a 12 volt wall wart type power supply. Need one with filtered DC output, and use correct polarity on the LED's. Easily found at flea markets, junk stores, my garage, etc.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:21 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
no fan or furnace or water pump ? that stuff is all 12VDC too (well, the furnace is propane but needs 12V for its fan)
No. Very basic.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
Thanks guys. It sounds like the simple answer is no. I might consider a small solar one. I don't think i want a battery just for the outside light. My plan is to only ever do campgrounds with electric. Mom alone with 2 kids and all.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Why do you need (or want) an exterior light? I have one on my camper by the door with a yellow blub (yellow to reduce insect attraction). I sometimes turn it on for a short time when making a bath house run at night, otherwise I never use any exterior lighting except flashlights. Perhaps something like this will meet your needs for evening outdoor time, and be much easier than adding a light.
https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Hurrican.../dp/B00NPLSZF8
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #10

Name: Christian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Mitsie View Post
Thanks guys. It sounds like the simple answer is no. I might consider a small solar one. I don't think i want a battery just for the outside light. My plan is to only ever do campgrounds with electric. Mom alone with 2 kids and all.
I have two solar LED lights, one in either side of my Scamp. They have an always-on low illumination, and a motion sensor which temporarily increases the illumination. I use white Velcro to attach them. I've used them for several years and they still illuminate throughout the night.
chrisblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:47 PM   #11

Mid Left Coast
I use one or two of these as table lanterns when sitting outside, you can light just one half or the whole 360 degree, and it can go from quite dim to rather bright. you can either stand them on a table, or hang them from your awning it recharges with any USB charger (type A connector), and it runs for dozens and dozens of hours on a low to medium setting. these are quite compact and small, I actually have 3 total.

Attached Thumbnails
6968086d4885b4e64a8155269a7811c1[1].jpg  
Old 12-21-2021, 10:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I use one or two of these as table lanterns
And, what is it? Got a link or a brand and model?
Old 12-21-2021, 10:28 PM   #13

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, what is it? Got a link or a brand and model?
oops, meant to link that in
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/lights...-lantern-core/

you can find these on sale from time to time at places like REI.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:53 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Thanks.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #15

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Why do you need (or want) an exterior light? I have one on my camper by the door with a yellow blub (yellow to reduce insect attraction). I sometimes turn it on for a short time when making a bath house run at night, otherwise I never use any exterior lighting except flashlights. Perhaps something like this will meet your needs for evening outdoor time, and be much easier than adding a light.
https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Hurrican.../dp/B00NPLSZF8

There is presently a 12v light. I don't need one, i supposed. Usually I go tent camping and we don't have anything more than torches.

Tags
light