Casita converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 12:04 AM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Casita 16
British Columbia
Casita converter

Hi, I own a Casita Freedom Deluxe 16 foot made in 1993. Does anyone know if a Casita this age has a charger in the converter. I want to know if God battery is charging when I'm plugged it.
Thanks, Shawn
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:47 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn E View Post
I want to know if Good battery is charging when I'm plugged it.
Thanks, Shawn
Check the battery voltage when unplugged and then pug in, it will go up a little if charging.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
With the battery on the charger, (assuming the charger works,) should be reading around 13.5 VDC. When you take the battery off the charger, the battery should still read about 12.5 VDC. If your converter's charger is OEM equipment, I'd seriously give consideration to upgrading it to a newer, modern battery charger. Your battery will thank you for it, and it will live longer as well. I installed one of these several years ago and have no regrets, (or fried batteries either.)

45 Amp Kit For 7300 or 8300 Series

If you have the older Parallax 6300 Series Converter, or an older Magnetek Converter, you will probably want to look at this one (below) as a replacement.

45 Amp Kit For 6300 Series
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:24 PM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Instead of using that WFCO junk, spend a few bucks more and buy a Progressive Dynamics converter. The PD4600 series comes in the the "can" to replace the Magnatec or Parallax converters, or you can (per the instructions) remove the converter from the can to replace WFCO converters in WFCO power panels.

My Bigfoot had a Parallax panel from the factory but the converter was... (and it could have been installed after the unit left the factory) a WFCO WF9845 deck mount converter on a special bracket to fit into the Parallax panel, total conversion is

45 Amp Kit For 7300 or 8300 Series

Howeve I found it was never dropping to float mode 13.2 volts and was staying at 13.6v. It supposedly takes 48 hours to get to float mode, but after a week or more it was still at 13.6v. Sometimes I could power it down and back up and it would quickly drop to 13.2 but it was unpredictable and unreliable so I removed it and installed a PD4645 conversion.

The PD products are USA made and have good support.

Charles
Old 01-22-2021, 11:51 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Instead of using that WFCO junk, spend a few bucks more and buy a Progressive Dynamics converter. The PD4600 series comes in the the "can" to replace the Magnetek or Parallax converters, or you can (per the instructions) remove the converter from the can to replace WFCO converters in WFCO power panels.

The PD products are USA made and have good support.

Charles
To my knowledge, Casita has never ever used WFCO converters. I agree they are total junk, but Casita has only used, (in the early years,) the Magnetek for a brief spell in early production, and has since used Parallax converters for most of their production until they also went totally with the PD units a few years ago. I replaced my "lower unit" in the stock Parallax converter with a PD 4645 "drop-in" several years ago and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:57 PM   #6

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
To my knowledge, Casita has never ever used WFCO converters. I agree they are total junk, but Casita has only used, (in the early years,) the Magnetek for a brief spell in early production, and has since used Parallax converters for most of their production until they also went totally with the PD units a few years ago. I replaced my "lower unit" in the stock Parallax converter with a PD 4645 "drop-in" several years ago and couldn't be happier.
The reason I said what I did was that the links you posted in your first post are for WFCO converters, and not PD converters. Possibly a mistake in picking links? Blow up the pics, the WFCO decals are clearly visible in the pics. That is the unit I scrapped.

PD4600 upgrade kits. http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-se...its_c_133.html

Charles
Old 01-23-2021, 12:01 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
The reason I said what I did was that the links you posted in your first post are for WFCO converters, and not PD converters. Possibly a mistake in picking links? Blow up the pics, the WFCO decals are clearly visible in the pics. That is the unit I scrapped.

PD4600 upgrade kits. 4600 series Upgrade Kits

Charles
Yep, my bad. I clicked on the wrong link. Should of been this one.
PD4645V 45 Amp Converter Upgrade, Optional Remote Pendant

Tags
casita