Champion Generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #1

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: Casita
NORTH CAROLINA
Registry
Champion Generator

My calculated needs lead me to a larger generator than the vaunted Honda eu2200. Does anyone have experience with the Dual Fuel Champion line.
JLMathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We own a 4200 watt dual fuel Champion generator . Works well except it’s hard starting in cold weather .
We use it to power equipment at one of our remote buildings .
Would not use it camping for numerous reasons , main one is it’s too noisy !
When camping if we need power beyond solar we rent a site with hookups.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I bought the 2800 dual fuel inverter Champion generator. I've had it for a couple of years. No problems. Bought at Costco so got a good price and the Costco warranty too. Couldn't justify the added $$$ and lower capacity of a Honda.

Its about 100 pounds. I can still get it in and out of the pickup. Typically if it is just a quick dry camp (Walmart) where I need AC, I just drop the tailgate and run it there (exhaust facing out). I've got a super heavy cable lock on it.

Noise wise, the Champion inverter generator has done well in sound comparisons.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
My brother has a champion big enough to keep his house going in a power outage. He ran it for 10
Days straight this past summer during the outage from the derecho. After his power was back on he serviced the engine and ran it a little bit. It quit working. He read the trouble shooting section in the manual. It said that sometimes a diode fails. He called Grainger and gave them the part number. They had it in stock. Paid less than $10 and installed it himself. Back in business. He swears by his champion, it’s saved his freezer and kept his beer cold several times over the years. I wouldn’t be afraid of one for dependability. His is noisy. He’s had it for about 15 years. My son, son in laws and I all have 2200i Honda
Generators. We like them.
Iowa
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:15 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
They call it "champion" for a reason.

But that reason does not serve everyone.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:44 PM   #6

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMathis View Post
My calculated needs lead me to a larger generator than the vaunted Honda eu2200.
All the "power consumption" calculators provide over-rated results. Do you really need to run A/C and the induction stove at the same time?
Old 02-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #7

NORTH CAROLINA
Registry
The way I read the specs, the Honda will not kick over the ac. I do have a microwave but gas cook top.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #8

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Install Easystart, it is a "must have" add on to the A/C. https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267
Old 02-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
GO FOR IT!

I have had great experience with my Champion 4000/3500W gas generator, which I used for over 12 years. I mostly dry camped - without solar. So I powered up that generator on most of my trips. It always started, even at high elevations & cold temperatures.

That generator, which weighed 103 lbs, was mounted on the back porch of my previous trailer, went to the new owners of my trailer.

Because I travel with dogs, I wanted a generator that would start & run my AC in an emergency - which brought me to that particular sized generator. But if faced with an emergency, I just want to make it through the afternoon & night. If adverse conditions were expected to last for much longer, I’d try to find a camping spot with hookups or leave for home. I can’t imagine running my AC off grid sans an emergency.

Sadly, Champion did not offer an inverter generator when I purchased that first trailer. My other complaint was the smell of gas fumes when operating the generator. The ability to use propane would solve that problem.

Today, I would not hesitate to purchase a duel fuel inverter generator from Champion. They offer a well priced, quality product. They have great customer service. They have apparently added cold weather start technology.

In particular, I would recommend the Champion 2500 Duel Fuel Inverter:

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...uctCategory=11

When compared with their 2000W duel fuel, the 2500W offers little more starting power giving you added cushion for your (soon to be) soft start wired AC. Both generators have the same size, noise level, dimensions & weight. When compared with the 2000W duel fuel, the 2500W has more running power when using propane. It’s noise level of 53 DBI is acceptable given the price. And only 39 LBS! What’s not to like?

Yet another possibility is to purchase 2 smaller generators with a parallel cable. You can take one of these smaller generators on short camping trips to power, say your microwave, and take both on longer trips to destinations where you may need to power up your AC.

I like the idea of using propane to power the generator. No noxious fumes to worry about. If you can safely add the weight to your tongue, I’d mount the generator behind the propane tanks so that you are close to your fuel source & not have to drag it over to the tanks. Another alternative is to mount it on your back porch. If you have to pack the generator in your tow vehicle or trailer when under tow, propane is advantageous as you won’t have to worry about gas fumes. 39 LBS is lots easier to carry to the front of the trailer than 100+ pound 3500W generator.

REGARDING YOUR AC:
For piece of mind it’s good to know that you can power your AC in an emergency, such as extreme heat or smoke from a wild fire.

When selecting the actual wattage you need for your AC, contact the manufacturer to find it’s starting & running power requirements, and whether you can add an easy start kit to your AC.

Neither of my BF trailers’ AC would accept a easy start kit. However, my Mobil RV serviceman assures me that he can wire the AC to start a 2000W generator.. Hence I feel confident with a Champion 2000W or 2500W duel power. I’m guessing it will work for you.

There is a potential rub: your AC’s running watts. Even if you could soft start with a 2500 watt generator, you’ll still need enough watts to keep it running. Once again, it’s best to contact the manufacturer.

Interested in hearing about your decision.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #10

NORTH CAROLINA
Registry
Thanks. I do appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #11
GDB

Name: Glenn
Trailer: In The Market
AZ
I have a Scamp 16 with a factory Dominic 3 way refrigerator, microwave, and A/C with an Easy-Start installed. My little Honda powers all three at the same time as it continues to provide a (minimal) charge to the battery. If you do not think that your Honda can do the same I would suggest turning off your A/C briefly if you need to use your microwave. Also, all dual fuel generators produce approximately 10% less output wattage when operating on propane (something to consider when deciding which generator to buy).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #12

Name: Dan
Trailer: Escape
Indiana
I have a Champion dual fuel 3200. I've run it both on propane and gas successfully. It's heavy so I keep it in the rear bed of the truck. Running normal power load it's about 50 db at 30 feet away. The power is clean because it's an inverter type. On my current trip southwest I've used it only 3times to in 6 weeks for about 20 minutes each time.
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Turn off all ac appliances, start generator turn air conditioner to low fan and AC on. Bet the Honda 2200 will handle the starting load with out a $300 easy start.
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator