Charge contoller ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Charge contoller ?

https://www.bioennopower.com/product...s-sc-122420jud

Has anyone used this? I'm looking at changing both of my controllers to this to get less RF noise on my radios. Currently we bypass the controller to hear weak stations.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:15 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post

Has anyone used this? I looking at changing both of my controllers to this to get less RF noise on my radios. Currently we bypass the controller to hear weak stations.
I am not familiar with the linked controller, however both my Progressive Dynamics PD 4635LIV converter & my Victron 100/30 solar controller produce enough RFI to blank extremely weak FM radio stations. I've attempted a number of line filters with no success - they are likely producing a stronger RF signal than the FM radio stations. Again, this is generally not a problem; only when I'm trying to connect to a very weak signal.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Solar charge control (radio quiet)

Quote:

Has anyone used this? I'm looking at changing both of my controllers to this to get less RF noise on my radios. Currently we bypass the controller to hear weak stations.
I purchased two units and now have both installed. It is delivered with clear instructions that it can be used only for Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries only. BUT, I called the company and they sent me the rest of the instructions. It is simple to change from type B00 battery to Type B01 for sealed lead acid. Mine are not sealed but I'm going to use that setting.

If anyone needs the information on changing battery types let me know and I'll post it here.

My only test has been listening to distant AM radio stations in the RV and I can not tell much difference with the panel connected, and it is much better than the stock converter.
One note; The two displays have different contrast settings, one is a little harder to see..
Old 09-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #4

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
That's surprising. FM is a fair bit higher frequency than anything I'd expect a converter to produce.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:17 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:

that appears to be a PWM solar charger, not sure it would do much for your RF noise.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:20 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
RF noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that appears to be a PWM solar charger, not sure it would do much for your RF noise.
It is being sold by Ham Radio companies because it is quiet. So far it has been MUCH better than others I have used.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:20 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
That's surprising. FM is a fair bit higher frequency than anything I'd expect a converter to produce.
most power converts use PWM circuitry, pulse width modulation, and that involves square waves typically at a few kilohertz... those square waves put out some hellacious harmonics up into the MHz range. FM radio is 87-108MHz.

its even worse if your radio is powered off the same "DC', all that square wave stuff makes for some /really/ noisy power. using a power filter circuilt between the 'house' 12VDC and your radio can really help alot, these noise filters are typically a choke (coil) or two, and a couple decent sized capacitors.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:45 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
ARRL can help you fix your RFI issues.. but its a project!
Products And Other Resources
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #9

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Weiscraft
California
RFI solutions

For solutions to radio frequency interference (RFI) I suggest Palomar Engineers.
They have a lot of educational material on line and are often willing to discuss specific issues via telelphone.

https://palomar-engineers.com/

good luck, Hugh KW5X
HVance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I have used equipment with my ham radio gear from Power Stream
https://www.powerstream.com/
I have not had problems.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags