Clearance lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

Name: Toby
Trailer: Amerigo
Minnesota
Clearance lights

Help!
I have a 1973 Amerigo lighting problem.
The clearance lights themselves have 2 brown wires. One goes to 2 yellow wires, and one goes to 2 red wires.
Nothing like any diagrams I have seen. Nothing seems to be hot.
Has anyone seen anything like this?
Thanks.
Rainman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Short answer, no I've never seen anything like that. Does anything work? What works and what doesn't?

I wasn't able to find a wiring diagram for the Amerigo FG16. One option would be to just rewire using the wiring color codes used by Casita or Scamp ...

For Scamp, Boler and Trillium, the side markers/running/parking lights are all on the same circuit. They are wired in parallel of course, with a green wire (+) and a white wire (-) running to each bulb.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Michigan
Registry
Here are the Scamp/Boler/Trillium Wire Colors for all 12vdc circuits:

Green - Tail Lights and Marker Lights
Red - Left Turn and Brake Light
Brown – Right turn and Brake Light
Black – Interior 12 volt lights and Accessories
White – Ground/Common/Negative for all 12vdc circuits
Yellow – Brake Lights (Foreign Stop) or Backup Lights
Blue – Electric Brakes

These are also the wiring colors for the Bargman style 7 blade connector.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

Minnesota
Thanks for the tips.
Will do some more experimenting when the weather warms.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Sounds like someone did a hack job on your wiring. If you are trying to replace the clearance lights with LED's make sure you get the polarity correct or they won't work. When checking your wires for power do you have the trailer plugged into you tow vehicle with the park lights on?
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:18 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
This is one of the main reason I rewired my entire Boler with the proper color scheme. It took about a week tracing out each wire visually and then with a ohm meter. I now have a system with 3 bus bars, one in the front, one in the middle and one in the rear and if the proper color is green in the front it is green in the back and so forth.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:17 AM   #7

Michigan
Registry
re-wiring diagram

Agree with Gerry. If you find you need to re-wire, use the basic Scamp wiring diagram as a basis. It follows the Bargman wire color scheme (as does Boler and Trillium). The Scamp wiring diagram can be found by doing a search on this website or a general web search.

I had use this approach with my Boler 13. The interior wiring had been completely removed by PO, so I re-did it and added a converter and distribution panel. The towing light wiring was there but had been hacked up. I didn't totally re-do the towing light wiring, but re-worked it quite a bit and replace Scotch Loks and electrician's tape with crimp splices.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #8

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
Sounds like someone did a hack job on your wiring. If you are trying to replace the clearance lights with LED's make sure you get the polarity correct or they won't work. When checking your wires for power do you have the trailer plugged into you tow vehicle with the park lights on?
I thought the same at first but the wiring is all enclosed so I have to think it is original. Unless the factory just used whatever color wire they had.
I have been using a to test. Don't want to blow something on my tv.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
get yourself a free voltmeter at h/f and learn how to use it this is how you test things or a cheap test voltage light. you will never get things right just poking around!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights