CO/Propane Detector Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2023, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Newfoundland
CO/Propane Detector Question

Hey everyone,

I have a question about providing power to my Safe T Alert CO/Propane detector (30 series flush mount). I don't have a deep cycle battery installed, however I do own a 600W portable power unit, similar to the link below which has a 12V outlet. My question is, any idea if the detector will work running off the portable power unit, and if so, any suggestions on how to MacGyver a connection from the 12V outlet to the detector?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0112028p.html
JasonGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:53 PM   #2

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
I put a switch in the wires to my "always on" CO / propane detector and only turn it on at night. That reduces my energy use for this appliance by a third, which is important when you are boondocking for 5-6 days.
GDHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:13 PM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDHoffman View Post
I put a switch in the wires to my "always on" CO / propane detector and only turn it on at night. That reduces my energy use for this appliance by a third, which is important when you are boondocking for 5-6 days.
Thanks. I actually figured out how to power up my DC using the portable power box I mentioned in my post. I'm running from the box's 12V DC output (cigarette type connector) to a fuse block which will distribute my 12V DC power. I had it up and running today, worked like a charm. I ended up buying a 15A cigarette to SAE cable as well as another 14 gauge cable with an SAE connector, so it's just a quick connect to get things powered up. And just as you mentioned, I intend on inserting a switch on the monitor circuit so it'll only be running at night.
JasonGill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane