Connect inverter to Scamp shore power inlet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 12:25 AM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Connect inverter to Scamp shore power inlet?

I don't get to park my Scamp next to my house (%&#@$ Hoa cc&rs) or I would just make some measurements. Anyway, looking at the Scamp wiring diagram I think I can connect an inverter attached to the battery to the shore power inlet on the Scamp, if I switch off the breaker to the converter. Anyone try this? Thx

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #2

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
What is the inverter wattage?
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
While it may be physically possible, there are two things to think about. First, while the inverter is powering the trailer the male blades of the inlet will be hot. There is a cover, but...

Second - you will need a way to disconnect the inverter when on shore power.

A more practical solution is to make a cord with a female inlet connector coming from the inverter & plug it into the inlet when needed. Of course you will still need to shut off the converter and any other high current loads, but it is a safer approach. Accidentally connecting the inlet to a 120V pedestal while the inverter is connected would let the magic smoke out of the inverter...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #4

California
Registry
1000W inverter

I am looking at a 1000W inverter. For now the only thing that would run off the inverter would be the Nutri Bullet blender that my wife likes to use sometimes. That takes 600 - 800W depending on model. The inverter needs to be close to the battery on the trailer tongue so I am thinking I can just use my shore power cable to run power from the inverter to the shore power inlet on the trailer. There would not be any issue with connecting the shore power and the inverter at the same time. I just want to make sure that I don't run the converter trying to charge the battery running the inverter. I'm sure that loop would drain the battery pretty well. I would also hook up a remote switch for the inverter since I don't want to power it except when needed.
Next week I'll get the Scamp out of storage, getting ready for the Nor Cal Roundup in Quincy so I can check out the real wiring situation then. I am just hoping an existing beaker will already work like a switch to remove the converter, rather than having to wire in a new switch.
Thanks.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Tread warily with this project. I damaged an inverter by creating a loop through the converter that was charging the batteries at the same time the inverter was drawing power from them.

I did have an automatic switch in place that switched the supply to the converter, from shore power, if the inverter was switched on. I also had a manual switch, that broke the line that charged the batteries from the converter, if I had the inverter turned on. Unfortunately, among all the other things that needed doing when setting up / breaking camp, this manual switch didn't always get 'Switched' and hence the damage to the inverter.

I now have a new inverter and have a relay in place that recognizes when 110v power is coming from the Inverter and breaks the 12v line that charges the batteries.

I have an 80 watt solar panel in a drawer in the box of my pickup that is connected to the batteries when travelling to augment their charging. On a recent trip through BC, Montana, Idaho and Washington I was able to run my fridge on 110v whilst travelling, via the inverter/solar panel set up when there was full sun for four to five hours.

I can provide more detail of the setup if you are interested
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:22 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Doug, just the 2 cent comment, but how about getting a hand cranked mixer and make it easy on yourself. There have been a couple of those posted here in the past. Maybe even battery powered as in AA, C, D ect.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Accidentally connecting the inlet to a 120V pedestal while the inverter is connected would let the magic smoke out of the inverter...
Jon,

I first heard about the the magic smoke when I attended a seminar on variable-frequency drives sometime in the latter half of the last century. This was when I first learned how the smoke is apparently so difficult or even impossible to restore to electrical devices once it has been released.

My concern is that I think it may be forbidden, or at least taboo, to talk about the magic smoke in public forums as I also heard there are also "unbelievers". So, please, for your own safety, tread carefully here!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

Name: Jason
Trailer: BigFoot
British Columbia
How are you planning to protect the inverter on the tongue? With a custom box attached to...?

Sounds like a fun project that I like to try myself, hopefully i won't blow myself up in the process.
JasonCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #9

California
Registry
switching relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by peatle View Post

I now have a new inverter and have a relay in place that recognizes when 110v power is coming from the Inverter and breaks the 12v line that charges the batteries.
I'm interested in that relay, if you can send the details I would appreciate it.
I know that, with good intentions, flipping a switch manually won't always happen.
Thanks.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #10

California
Registry
mounting inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCM View Post
How are you planning to protect the inverter on the tongue? With a custom box attached to...?

Sounds like a fun project that I like to try myself, hopefully i won't blow myself up in the process.
Since I am only planning on occasional use of the inverter (no shore power and wife wanting blender) I will start with a portable setup. Inverter in a box that I just set next to or on top of the existing battery box and I will manually attach the wires when we use it. I will put a remote switch in the trailer so we can switch the inverter on and off just while using it. With only using it 10 min once a day I think I don't have to worry too much about heat dissipation.
Now I won't have to work out how to permanently attach it until I ruin the first one.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
I'm interested in that relay, if you can send the details I would appreciate it.
I know that, with good intentions, flipping a switch manually won't always happen.
Thanks.
It seems that having a 120VAC coil on the relay would be a good thing. I once specified a 12VDC or 24VDC coil on a control relay and got grief from the electrician about it for years to come. (Of course, that was something he always did in a friendly sort of a way.)

In any event, he declared that he was going to host pancake breakfasts for all the staff as that relay with the DC coil got so hot when it was pulled in under power...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
Since I am only planning on occasional use of the inverter (no shore power and wife wanting blender) I will start with a portable setup. Inverter in a box that I just set next to or on top of the existing battery box and I will manually attach the wires when we use it. I will put a remote switch in the trailer so we can switch the inverter on and off just while using it. With only using it 10 min once a day I think I don't have to worry too much about heat dissipation.
Now I won't have to work out how to permanently attach it until I ruin the first one.
Make sure your wiring & switch are capable of handling the load on the inverter, which, at full load will draw 85 - 100 amps on the 12V side...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp