Connector - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
Auto mechanic here, 40 years dealing with lots of electrical problems in vehicles. I have to comment on gordon2 recommending the splice tap connectors,scotch lock taps. ....
Please paul.. I did NOT recommended them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Another option is a tap like this.. you have one main or primary ground wire and attach the other wires along its length. But this method is less reliable and you need to be sure to use the right size to puncture the insulation but not cut the wire:....
Perhaps I should have used stronger language than "less reliable" since I agree that they are best avoided, but the words "less reliable" can in no way be considered a recommendation. Perhaps you did not read my entire post and perhaps you missed my follow-up comment also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
...I did not endorse their use. In fact I specially said that they are "less reliable and you need to be sure to use the right size to puncture the insulation but not cut the wire." I agree that they are not the best option.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: 1966 Buco Industries
Alberta
My apologies gordon2. I did miss the part where you stated you did not recommend them. I have a bit of a knee jerk reaction when I see anyone mentioning them.
I have seen everything from corroded taillamp and tow wiring to a new Camaro that was towed into the dealership where I worked with multiple warning lights and no start. As the electrical tech it came into my bay. When I lowered the underdash trim a large rats nest of poor crimps, scotch lock splices and bare wires fell out. The owner had taken it someplace to have a fancy remote start and theft system installed and they obviously had no idea what they were doing. Management called the customer with what we had found, told him he had no warranty on his electrical problems and to take it back to the installer.
pault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:23 PM   #23

North Carolina
Quote:
My apologies gordon2...
Accepted.
Quote:
.., told him he had no warranty on his electrical problems and to take it back to the installer.
Oh that had to hurt the poor guy, who was really just a victim of shoddy profiteers... Scotchlok's are widely used since they are cheap, fast, and they can be removed leaving barely a trace to suggest they had ever been used at all. Too bad (for him) that he did not take advantage of that last feature.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Auto mechanic here, 40 years dealing with lots of electrical problems in vehicles. I have to comment on gordon2 recommending the splice tap connectors,scotch lock taps. They work in an emergency, but too often will cause more problems than they are worth. They don't seal and with any kind of weather exposure within months your wiring will be full of corrosion and high resistance. In the auto trade we call it the green death.
I cannot remember how many times I have had to cut out scotch lock taps and splice in new wiring to repair lights and tow plugs.
I always use the crimp and shrink connectors where ever any kind of moisture or weather exposure is possible. Even better are the GM Weatherpac or the Duesch brands of connectors and terminals. A bit pricy and you need special crimpers for the terminals, but you will never have to worry about moisture or corrosion in wiring connectors.

Scotchlocks are a great product when used properly in the right type/size and in the right application. I also like having crimp wirenuts in my wiring arsenal. Crimp type butt splice connectors are great as well.
All are available with dielectric grease already in them and the latter two can be had with heat shrink attached.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #25

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
For interior work, I use marine style crimp connectors (butt, spade, bullet, etc.) so the crimp is fully sealed. For exterior work or if I am connecting more than 2 wires together, I solder and then use liquid electrical tape to cover the joint.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #26

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebas View Post
If I have more than 2 wire to connect, what is the best connector ? ..
Late to the party but I wanted to add another really good option for interior wiring... the Ideal brand In-Sure connectors for two, three or four wire connections. These might not be building code approved but they work great and would be excellent in place of wire nuts in a camping trailer. If five or more wires need to be joined I would use a buss bar. See also: https://www.idealind.com/content/dam...0SpecSheet.pdf

The Ideal In-Sure connectors are permanent with stranded wire but can be reused with solid wire. For temporary or reusable use with stranded wire there is a similar product with a lever that locks or releases the wire. See: https://www.homelectrical.com/electr....1911.2.1.html