converter / inverter??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Me thinks his battery bank lives in the Toy hauler, and therein lies the danger in posting non-FGRV solutions to FGRV problems.

But, as I mentioned in my previous post (#19) the alleged LP refrigerator problem, doesn't really have to be a problem.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Something tells me that all of the above is in your Warrior Toyhauler and not the Aliner....

while lots see the dorm refrigerator as an alternative, there is no need to go that route if reliability is the concern. A properly set-up and maintained absorbtion refrigerator will last a very long time, certainly longer that that generator and battery set, and probably longer than most dorm type refrigerators.

Installation is for the Aliner.

The biggest issue with absorption refrigerators is the installation. There is only so much that can be done to correct a bad installation. I have installed baffles and fans but still had unreliable cooling. In pop ups or RVs with slide installed refrigerators it is a common issue.

When a absorption refrigerator is correctly installed with a lower vent and a roof vent, they can work very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dang correct me if I am wrong but those 4 batteries you are hauling around must weigh over 200lbs combined?
Yes, about 300 pounds.

On the other hand I can operate the refrigerator, microwave, and even the 5,000 BTU air conditioning on a rare occasion from the batteries/inverter. I am in the experimental stages right now designing and building the system. So far the refrigerator on inverter is working great. We just spent 9 nights in the woods without power.

Soon I will be purchasing and setting up my retirement rig which will also have solar to replenish the battery bank. My goal is to camp for extended periods in remote areas without utility connections. My retirement rig just may be a Bigfoot fiberglass trailer.

The purpose of my post is that creativity and some $$$ will allow a person to step outside the norm and not necessarily be limited to the original equipment. There were some previous comments about operating a dorm refrigerator and my rig is proof that it can be done.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: "When a absorption refrigerator is correctly installed with a lower vent and a roof vent, they can work very well."

Per my post #19, while correct installation is always important, both of the Dometic refrigerators installed in my Hunter Compact-II work fine, one for over 40 years, without a roof vent. Perhaps the problem you mentioned is more common with particular brands or models.

And don't think that you will find anyone that will argue that any problem can be fixed, if you can throw "some $$$" at it.

Nine days without power? But that included using the generator, right? Generator = Power.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
There were some previous comments about operating a dorm refrigerator and my rig is proof that it can be done.
And that is exactly the type of information that is valuable to those thinking about things and I appreciate you posting it. To save money and get camping I installed a dorm fridge (that I already had) to replace the non-functioning three-way in my old Scamp. So far we have only camped where there is 120V so it is not an issue but I would like to boondock for a few days and being able to run the dorm fridge off a suitably sized inverter would be nice. I do have plans to install a 12v compressor refrigerator but it will be the first of the year before that can happen. The solar panels, controller (2X 100W, MPPT), and batteries are this year's purchases.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote