Converter OUTPUT to solar charger INPUT? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I talked with the engineer at Bogart about using his charge controller exactly this way and his response was that they had not tested it but he could see no reason it would not work just like the solar supply except Tha for finish charging and bulk the "12 volt" supply might really have to be nearer 18 volts like a solar panel might be.
A few blocking diodes and a little more voltage might do he trick.
But did you ask if doing this would void the warranty? I suspect it would, and while Bogart Engineering has about the best customer service I have ever seen, I would not want to make a warranty claim if this unorthodox and untested application caused it (or the converter) to fail. Perhaps someone else will give it an extended test, but I choose not to.

BTW, I knew that the voltage should be higher and I had already discovered out how to use the PD Charge Wizard to bump up the voltage closer to the voltage output by a PV panel.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #22

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
But did you ask if doing this would void the warranty? I suspect it would, and while Bogart Engineering has about the best customer service I have ever seen, I would not want to make a warranty claim if this unorthodox and untested application caused it (or the converter) to fail. Perhaps someone else will give it an extended test, but I choose not to.

BTW, I knew that the voltage should be higher and I had already discovered out how to use the PD Charge Wizard to bump up the voltage closer to the voltage output by a PV panel.

12v is 12v, so it wouldn't matter if it was from a solar panel or converter. And Solar panels will produce up to around 18-20v so it will be doing PWM to drop the voltage anyway.

In all fairness I haven't done it yet & will be slapping a 100 watt panel on the roof so I don't have to worry about plugging the trailer in ever (we mostly boondock). My workbench here in my office is covered in soldering irons & oscilloscopes, so I like to think I know what I'm doing electronics wise.

And as others have mentioned, HandyBob kicks ass. A little bit ranty, but he knows his stuff & is a good starting bible for anybody planning on solar or optimizing how their batteries are maintained.
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
12v is 12v, so it wouldn't matter if it was from a solar panel or converter. ...
Not all 12 volts DC is created equally. For one thing, AC ripple exists in varying degrees from DC current that has been converted from AC current. Not so in DC from a battery or solar panel. And as you point out.. its not really 12 volts at all, its 13 plus.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar