CT13 - Exterior Lighting Wiring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: '84 CT-13 U-Haul
Michigan
Registry
Post CT13 - Exterior Lighting Wiring

Hi all,

I recently inherited a CT-13.

My question is, what connector did the CT-13 originally have installed.
A seven pin makes sense, given the seperate turn lights. But, my CT13 has a 4 pin connector.

The manuals in the download section do not refer to the external lights (except for part numbers) nor do they have a circuit diagram for the external lights (A strange omission ).

The marker and turn lights were not fully functional when I transported it to my home.
As such I found that a few wires were damaged under the trailer.
As I am repairing the wiring, I am converting the marker lights to LED and would like to change the connector to one that is more functional. Additionally the wiring from the connector back does not seem to follow standard trailer wiring color coding and I would like to avoid any hidden splices that may cause mischief.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Wolfyjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #2

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Smile

Welcome Eric!
My '84 CT13 has a 4 pin connector and I belive it is original.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Mine also came with a 4pin.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: '84 CT-13 U-Haul
Michigan
Registry
CT13 - Exterior Lighting Wiring - Status Update

• "The U-Haul trailers were designed for rental use, and that means that they would avoid a 7-pin connector so it can be towed with as many customer vehicles as possible; similarly, the VT-16 has surge brakes to avoid the need for trailer brake wiring in the tow vehicle. I would expect a flat-4 connector to be used.

I don't know how they intended to handle separate turn signals, but I have seen U-Haul cargo trailers with a bunch of separate connections which are patched together as required to match the specific customer's vehicle."
Thanks for the info. I had suspected as much, while I was tracing out the circuits and repairing damaged wiring. The 4-pin was just odd, given the seperated turn signal bulbs. But this becomes irrelevant with the replacement rear light assemblies available from U-haul.

When I get a chance, I'll put together a schematic of the CT13 exterior wiring and submit it to the Document center to help others.

Eric.
Wolfyjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Mine is older and also an American, it had a 6 pin round , the extra Black and White supplied 12 volt to the interior lights as it had no battery. Now it has a 4 pin flat and it's own battery.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ct13, lighting, uhaul, wiring