Daisy Chain 12V for Maxx Fan install? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Daisy Chain 12V for Maxx Fan install?

Hello All,

I have a 1988 Bigfoot B19 Deluxe that I am refurbing. Based on feedback from neighbors (who have had multiple stick-built) and a new pal (who has a T@b), who all said that they never use their AC units, I have decided to install a much lighter and much less costly Maxx Fan Deluxe (5100K model, which is the manual not remote model, but has a thermostat, 10 speeds and can direct air in or out of the trailer) instead of a new rooftop AC (I will leave the 120V AC wiring junction but will disconnect it, should I or anyone else ever want a future rooftop AC).

So, the Maxx Fan is 12V and I was told by a trailer supply company that the best thing to do is to daisy chain some 12V stranded 14 gauge wire from the nearest ceiling light fixture. Well, there is a ceiling light fixture right near where the Maxx Fan needs to go... can anyone provide some guidance on how I do this? Do I pop out the existing light fixture and then? I am handy but the only electrical stuff I have ever done is to install a new ceiling light in my home.

My electrician is a great guy but doesn't work on RVs at all and I cannot afford the $110 per hour shop rate that the local RV and Trailer shops want... This seems like something I should be able to do myself, even if I have to "cover up" the daisy chained wire (I don't want to have to pull out the whole ceiling panel but I do already have a "cover" that went over the much bigger AC power cord, so can hide whatever new wiring I need to bring over from the light fixture.

Thank you for your input!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #2

Just an update: the key was to daisy chain the fan to the nearby ceiling light by just popping off the light cover and tying in the fan wires to the light wires. Works great and since I changed the light bulbs in the fixture to LED, I notice that they do not suck power from the fan when they are turned on, while the incandescent bulbs did - which slowed the fan speed down a bit. I replaced all the interior lights with LED and am replacing all the exterior light fixtures now so that they will be LED (they had reached the end of their useful life anyway).
Old 06-16-2017, 04:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I did the same with my Boler 1300 a few years ago, with just a regular fan unit, but unlike you I didn't have a light on the ceiling but did have one in rear over-head cubby. To get wire under the ensolite I taped the end of my wire to the end of a wire coat hanger, then slid the wire/coat hanger between fiberglass and ensolite till it got in the cubby then I slit the ensolite with razor, grabed coat hanger with pliers and Voila...In the cubby I did have 12V wires that fed the 2 lights so I bugged into them there.
Like you all but one light, where the LED's I had wouldn't fit due to switch location< are LED.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #4

Hi Gerry,

I sure appreciated your post because I am now replacing all the exterior lights with LED lights because the plastic was shot anyway, and a few of the wires between two lights came out, so I used a coat hanger to fish them back into place - thanks to your share!