Does adding multi-outlet to 12v outlet diminish output? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Does adding multi-outlet to 12v outlet diminish output?

Hi All,

My new RV has a single 12v outlet. I can envision wanting to run a fan in addition to charging one or more devices at the same time. If I plug in a multi-plug such as one of the items below, will there be more diminished electrical flow than if I had separate outlets? I'm wondering if I'm better off having additional outlets added.

Thanks!
Leslie

Amazon.com : BESTEK usb adapter car cigarette lighter socket car splitter adapter 4 way plug socket usb outlet dc charger power adapter 12V socket 24V dc adapter car charger Ipad Dual USB charger 2.1A MRS152UV : Vehicle Audio Video Power Adapters : C

or

this: Amazon.com: 5 in 1 Car Charger - 4 port 12V DC Auto Socket Duplicator Plus USB Port: Car Electronics
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Low power devices like a 12 VDC cell phone charger don't draw much power, so should be fine to use with a 12 VDC splitter. Your fan draws more, but still not much. Something like an electric blanket, or an inverter can draw lots of power. If you do install a new 12 VDC outlet, it is best to wire it back to your fuse panel and give it it's own fuse.

The amount of power supplied by a 12 VDC outlet is dependent on the size of wire used to feed it, as well as the rated capacity of the outlet. You should match the outlet to a wire that will carry the rated output.

According to National Electrical Code:
"Unless specifically permitted in Section 240.4(E) through (G), the overcurrent protection shall not exceed 15 amperes for 14 AWG, 20 amperes for 12 AWG, and 30 amperes for 10 AWG copper"
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool E=ir & p=ie

E (Electromotive Force/Volts) = I (current/amperes) x R (resistance/ohms)

Items wired in series share voltage.

Items wired in parallel (your case) share amperage.

One needs to know the amperage draw of each item being plugged in and then add them up to determine if the circuit can handle them. Probably need to look at the fuse for the circuit.

In all things electrical, amperage is the bad boy. Amperage yields power quickly

P (power) = I ^2^ (amperage squared) x E (voltage)

Notice that in the power equation the amperage factor is squared. This leads into difficulties very quickly.

Voltage is best explained by walking across a carpet and then touching something grounded. That shock you get could be a couple thousand volts, but the amperage is so low, micro or mini amps so that no harm is done.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
If you do install a new 12 VDC outlet, it is best to wire it back to your fuse panel and give it it's own fuse.

The amount of power supplied by a 12 VDC outlet is dependent on the size of wire used to feed it, as well as the rated capacity of the outlet. You should match the outlet to a wire that will carry the rated output. "
Thanks David! That is good to know.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post

One needs to know the amperage draw of each item being plugged in and then add them up to determine if the circuit can handle them. Probably need to look at the fuse for the circuit.
Thanks Roger! That is helpful.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #6

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
You won't have diminished electrical flow unless you blow the fuse.

A couple of cell phone chargers and a tablet would probably not blow the fuse.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #7

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Most cigarette lighter outlets are good for 10-20 amps max. Add up the AMP ratings on the the devices you are going to plug into the multiple adapter to determine if you will overload the lighter socket.
Frank
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #8

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Every connection adds a point of resistance. The more splitters and connections you have along the line the more points of heat and voltage drop. This isn't typically an issue with 120 volts, but 12V is far worse AND the cig connectors pretty much suck.

However for your intended use it will be fine. You could plug as many splitters and phone chargers as you need. Just beware of things like inverters electric coolers ovens etc.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Waiting for this one I ordered last week. My wife's Corolla only has one 12v socket, frequently need to charge phones or tablets while using the GPS, I was looking for one with the higher USB amperage. I like the mounting options in case I want to use it in the trailer too.

Amazon.com: Multi-Use Vehicle Charger with Dual USB Ports and Dual 12 Volt Sockets - Magnadyne: Cell Phones & Accessories