does power converter charge battery? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
Kentucky
does power converter charge battery?

Just bought a 16ft scamp with a 20 amp magnetek "power converter" under the dinette seat. Does this converter recharge battery when camper is plugged into 110. If not... do you just charge the battery before you leave,,, for when 110 is not available? Thanks... Another rookie question, i know... (fair warning,, there will be many more questions to come.. lol.) Thanks again everybody... I am just learning.
ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Magnetek makes both converters and converter/chargers. You would need to know the model number to be sure. I'm betting it's only a converter. What year is your Scamp?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yes the converter charges the battery while plugged into 110.

The owners manual for your Scamp can be found here - you can download a paper copy of it. Although the items shown in the corresponding videos may look different than whats in your trailer they work pretty well the same on older models of the same items.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The easiest way to tell if the converter is charging your battery is to measure the voltage across the battery then plug in the converter and measure again. You should see an increase in battery voltage if the converter is charging. Rough numbers: 12.4-12.6 volts without. 13.5-14.5volts plugged in. If you don't own a voltmeter you can ask a friend or buy one. They cost about $20 at any hardware store or auto parts place. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

Utah
Registry
Carol: It depends on which converter came with his Scamp. The one in mine requires me to chose between battery and shore power. When shore power is switched on,the battery is disconnected from the 12v circuit, and the 12v circuits are run by the converter only.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clinton View Post
Carol: It depends on which converter came with his Scamp. The one in mine requires me to chose between battery and shore power. When shore power is switched on,the battery is disconnected from the 12v circuit, and the 12v circuits are run by the converter only.
Dennis I know some converters have a switch that needs to be hit when going from 12volt to 110 but are you saying that when you switch over to shower power that your battery is not being recharged - it seems odd Do you need to be plugged into 110 but switch over to 12volt in order for it to charge?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #7

Utah
Registry
Carol: Yes, when I switch to shore power, the converter kicks in for 12v power, but the battery is isolated(as in disconnected from everything). When I switch to battery, the converter turns off. Quirky, huh.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And some converters don't do what they are supposed to do no matter what you try. The chinese made "American" brand used in later Scamps seems to be more problematic than others.
As mentioned, get a DIGITAL volt meter and measure your DC voltage with the shore power connected and disconnected. If it doesn't go up at least 1 volt when plugged in, don't expect the battery to get charged.
Look up the Progressive Dynamics PG-4045 as a replacement if yours isn't doing what you want.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Carol: Yes, when I switch to shore power, the converter kicks in for 12v power, but the battery is isolated(as in disconnected from everything). When I switch to battery, the converter turns off. Quirky, huh.
Ok I will bite - how does it get charged then?

I get it that when you switch to battery power the converter turns off as its not needed and I get why it turns on when you are on shore power as it is its feeding the battery power & charging it? isnt it?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #10

Utah
Registry
Currently, I use a separate charger, or allow the tow rig to charge while driving. Someday I'll replace the whole darn thing with something more modern(that doesn't also use glass fuses!). I don't boondock so it hasn't been a problem.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Currently, I use a separate charger, or allow the tow rig to charge while driving. Someday I'll replace the whole darn thing with something more modern(that doesn't also use glass fuses!). I don't boondock so it hasn't been a problem.
Dennis that is strange - are you sure you converter was original to the trailer. What year is yours? My 92 has its original and its a charger/converter.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #12

Utah
Registry
This was a 'stripped' military model of the trailer-originally with no converter, or battery-just propane for the stove. The converter was added later. I have converted all inside lights to LED(and marker lights) and added additional 120v outlets. The converter is not very powerful, so it's on the 'list'.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
This was a 'stripped' military model of the trailer-originally with no converter, or battery-just propane for the stove. The converter was added later. .
thanks for the explanation glad to hear it wasnt a converter that was put in by Scamp originally. That would have been real strange.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dennis that is strange - are you sure you converter was original to the trailer. What year is yours? My 92 has its original and its a charger/converter.
The 70's Trilliums came with a converter that is so simple that if you try to charge your battery with it, your battery life may suffer. It is just a 120VAC to 12VAC transformer with a full wave bridge. This would keep charging the battery long after the battery was fully charged. Eventually it would boil the battery dry. Crude, but effective.

That is why this thread was of so much interest to me.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-48962.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #15

Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
Kentucky
Thank you so much for the info... I will check out my voltage at the battery tomorrow. I have been a busy boy on the scamp these last two days. In the process of a remodel right now. Installed a new 8000 btu a/c unit, tore out all the carpet. Found and fixed some small leaks (caulk leak at body seam, and cracked escape hatch cover. Think tomorrow i will pressure wash the underside, and re-resin all osb, and rust-nox the frame gloss black. I will check my converter and let everyone know what i find. Thanks again. I have only owned my scamp for 5 days,,, and i spend more time inside it,, than my house. I am a fan!
ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampline View Post
I have only owned my scamp for 5 days,,, and i spend more time inside it,, than my house. I am a fan!
Funny how that happens.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery