Electrical (Battery) Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Electrical (Battery) Problem

Hi All,

Bought a 2010 fiver about a month ago. Been out with it a couple of times and we love it!!

When I purchased it, there was no battery. One of the first things I did was put electrical tape over the DC wire leads in the battery box. We have been using it plugged in and everything electrical works fine.

I hooked up a battery today and I am getting no 12 volt (DC) power. The positive and negative wires are properly connected. About five inches from the end of the positive wire is a 20 amp fuse which is good. I figure I will check that the fuse holder is making a proper connection to the positive wire, but beyond that I am really at a loss on what to try to track down to solve this problem.

Any advice??
Peter S. in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S. in Iowa View Post
Hi All,

I hooked up a battery today and I am getting no 12 volt (DC) power. The positive and negative wires are properly connected.
Are you sure A very common problem is for them to be connected incorrectly on Scamps. It should be + Positive to Black and - Negative to White.

Have you checker your converter to see if its connected correctly and no fuses are blown on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In many converters even an instant of reversed connections will blow a safety fuse in the converter, you might also check for that having been blown earlier. Was there any explanation as to why there was no battery when you bought the trailer? That's a little concerning in a newer rig.

Why don't you post the make and model of the converter you have for even more answers

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Your trailer break away switch that locks the trailer brakes in the event the trailer disconnects from the tow vehicle will not work without a battery in the trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Hi All,

Bought a 2010 fiver about a month ago. Been out with it a couple of times and we love it!!

When I purchased it, there was no battery. One of the first things I did was put electrical tape over the DC wire leads in the battery box. We have been using it plugged in and everything electrical works fine.

I hooked up a battery today and I am getting no 12 volt (DC) power. The positive and negative wires are properly connected. About five inches from the end of the positive wire is a 20 amp fuse which is good. I figure I will check that the fuse holder is making a proper connection to the positive wire, but beyond that I am really at a loss on what to try to track down to solve this problem.

Any advice??
Look on the inside of the trailer where the cable from the tow goes in. Scamp usually has it on the right front of the trailer. The compartment closest to door and in front of the door usually has another fuse. Check that one out.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #6

Iowa
Hi All,

Here's the latest:

Was just out in the camper and checked out the following:

The converter is a PD 9130. The "safety" fuse is good on the converter and the wiring all looks good. I am getting continuity at the positive and negative leads at the converter. The plug from the converter to the electric panel was plugged in as it should be. I have the owners manual for the converter and everything appears as it should be in the camper.

Carol: The positive and negative were properly connected at the battery so that is definately not it.

Byron: I checked where the battery cables exit the trailer (exactly where you stated). However, there is no second fuse as you stated. There are a bunch of connectors at this point but certainly no second fuse. In addition, I traced the wires all the way through the bunk area to where they enter behind the bath (couldn't follow them there) and there is no second fuse along that run as well. Interesting, because I checked here on this forum and saw a wiring diagram which indicates a second fuse just inside the where the battery wires exit the front of the trailer. Can't really believe I can't find this fuse. I opened a bunch of wires taped together at that point and there are three connectors -- no fuse.

Bob: The person I bought the Scamp from used it strictly as living quarters at a job away from his home for about 3 years. If memory serves - he said it was always plugged in and didn't need to have a battery. However, I am going to call him today to confirm that he NEVER used a battery with it.

In my exploration one thing is bugging me. I can't find where the positive wire from the battery lead connects to the electrical panel. On the DC side, all I can see (and you have to be a contortionist to be able to see behind the panel!!) is the positive wire from the converter connecting to the panel. On the diagram on the panel, it says the leads from the battery AND the converter are connected together to the same hub. Where can the wire from the battery lead possibly end if not at that point??

As long as I can run everything while plugged in all is OK. But I sure want to be able to run things when no shore power is available.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks already for all your suggestions!
Old 08-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi All,

Here's the latest:

Byron: I checked where the battery cables exit the trailer (exactly where you stated). However, there is no second fuse as you stated. There are a bunch of connectors at this point but certainly no second fuse. In addition, I traced the wires all the way through the bunk area to where they enter behind the bath (couldn't follow them there) and there is no second fuse along that run as well. Interesting, because I checked here on this forum and saw a wiring diagram which indicates a second fuse just inside the where the battery wires exit the front of the trailer. Can't really believe I can't find this fuse. I opened a bunch of wires taped together at that point and there are three connectors -- no fuse.
I had to remove a fair amount of rat fur at the point the wires enter the trailer to find that fuse on mine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #8

Iowa
Carol: Not the issue on mine. Where the wires enter the trailer (along with the wires for the TV connection) there is a split in the rat fur and insulation and I can confirm that the battery wires enter at this point. The wires at this location are then routed along under the front bunk in plain view.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Wiring Diagram

There is a fuse in Scamps right where the wires come thru the shell. As others have stated, it can be hard to find.

See http://scamp.n0kfb.org/Manual/electrical.jpg for a wiring diagram from the Scamp owners manual.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electrical, scamp