Electrical/Battery Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Electrical/Battery Question

I have removed the battery for the winter and have it on a trickle charger. I am taking the trailer in for repairs this week and am wondering if I need to replace the battery into the trailer? If I leave it out, and the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle, which charges while running, will it cause a problem with the wires unconnected? Should I install it so the wires will be connected to the battery? If not, will it cause problems if the shop connects shore power without the battery installed and the wiring just taped up? Thanks
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #2

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Do you have trailer brakes? In a failure where the trailer detaches you need the battery to power the brakes.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #3

Texas
If I am not mistaken, the brakes receive power from the tow vehicle through the 7 way plug. But I am not positive...
Old 03-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
If I am not mistaken, the brakes receive power from the tow vehicle through the 7 way plug. But I am not positive...
The TV powers the trailer brakes during normal operation. If the trailer disconnects from the TV and pulls the emergency cord, the on-board battery powers the brakes.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #5

Texas
Thanks for the heads up. I did not know that. I sort of live by what Forest Gump said about "Stupid is as Stupid Does" and Murphy's Law. Murphy lives upstairs at my house and we see each other frequently!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Kinda depends on what repairs are being done... if they are related to the 12 volt power system then I would include the battery.

Otherwise the only reason to have it is as mentioned.. if you have a break-away switch and the trailer becomes unhitched, the battery is needed to activate the brakes without the tow vehicle.

But if there is no break-away switch OR as long as the trailer stays hitched, then the battery is not needed. That is certainty not a suggestion to remove the battery and disable that safety system. But odds are....
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If the battery is not in the trailer, be sure that the wire ends that would be attached to the battery can not touch each other or any metal parts. Might be a good idea to tape them and secure them somehow, like with a zip tie.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Most states require a battery to operate the brakes for the above reason.

Besides that without the battery what do you or Murphy think would happen if the battery wires would touch while connected to your car?

Finigans corollary says Murphy is an optimist
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #9

Texas
Murphy says thanks to all and that he really does try to be optimistic but it is hard...
Old 03-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Just put the battery in and don't worry about it. It is almost spring and you are in Texas.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
But if there is no break-away switch OR as long as the trailer stays hitched, then the battery is not needed. That is certainty not a suggestion to remove the battery and disable that safety system. But odds are....
Just for the record, Casitas do have break-away switches. And the trailer battery is required to be both installed and operational, (i.e. not dead,) when the trailer is being towed. While not having the trailer battery installed, in and of itself, will not hurt your alternator, it is required when the trailer is on the road.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:15 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just for the record not all Casita's originally came with break away switches and that includes our 1999 17' SD. I believe they started installing them in 2003.
But they are easy to install and use.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #13

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
trickle charging

I would check if you have had that on trickle charge for a long time you may have no fluid in your battery.. maybe your charger is automatic best I use a Harbor Frieghts float charge on all my stuff!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:58 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Just for the record not all Casita's originally came with break away switches and that includes our 1999 17' SD. I believe they started installing them in 2003.
But they are easy to install and use.
True enough Joe, but the OP has a 2015 17'LD trailer, at least that's what it says in his avatar anyway...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:08 PM   #15

Name: Rob
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
Another thing to think about is tongue-weight. If you usually have that 40-ish pound battery up there on the tongue, you'll probably notice the difference without it.
robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #16

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
battery placement

I cant think of a reason to not have your battery outside on the tongue just seems the most logical place for it.

I also think you might see a change in towing without it there but maybe it doesent matter much!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by robf View Post
Another thing to think about is tongue-weight. If you usually have that 40-ish pound battery up there on the tongue, you'll probably notice the difference without it.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #17

Texas
I guess Casita doesn't agree with it being on the tongue.

Tags
battery, electrical