electrical gremlins! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
electrical gremlins!

I 'love' when this happens. Did some work on the trailer today-adding an outside electrical outlet-of course my left over romex was about 2' short(thougt I had measured correctly. So, another trim to the store for a longer piece.

Then hooked up the trailer to test the trailer running lights as I might be heading out next week. Blinkers worked on the marker lights, no taillights!

I have both a 7 wire and a 4 wire pigtail(just in case). The 7 wire didn't work right, the 4 wire worked perfectly(now they are both connected to the same wiring block). Pulled the 7 wire connector apart and checked all the wires-no shorts, no loose wires, everything in the right place. Put it back together and plugged it in-EVERYTHING WORKED FINE!

Well, I got to make sure all connections were good anyway.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
That stuff usually happens when you loaded and ready to go. Dirty contact. Loose wire. I'm sure you know the drill. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I keep one of those LED trailer plug testers in my spares box for such occasions, That way I can rule out the vehicle wiring in a single test. Of course, if you have one you will never need it, if you don't have one you will wish you had gotten one. It's the nature of the beast

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Me, Measured wire and cut short all 3 times.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Smile electrical problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Clinton View Post
I 'love' when this happens. Did some work on the trailer today-adding an outside electrical outlet-of course my left over romex was about 2' short(thougt I had measured correctly. So, another trim to the store for a longer piece.

Then hooked up the trailer to test the trailer running lights as I might be heading out next week. Blinkers worked on the marker lights, no taillights!

I have both a 7 wire and a 4 wire pigtail(just in case). The 7 wire didn't work right, the 4 wire worked perfectly(now they are both connected to the same wiring block). Pulled the 7 wire connector apart and checked all the wires-no shorts, no loose wires, everything in the right place. Put it back together and plugged it in-EVERYTHING WORKED FINE!

Well, I got to make sure all connections were good anyway.

The use of "electrical grease" will help eliminate corrosion and help make contacts better, because of conductivity of the grease.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Me, Measured wire and cut short all 3 times.
Same here only it's usually lumber.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #7

Utah
Registry
Found my gremlin and it was me! Turns out the new TV socket will allow the 7 way plug to go in upside down. Another thing to add to the 'preflight' checklist.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Found my gremlin and it was me! Turns out the new TV socket will allow the 7 way plug to go in upside down. Another thing to add to the 'preflight' checklist.
I would suggest you check a couple fuses, the one in the battery box and the one under the front couch. One or both are probably blown. Some vehicles have a fuse between the battery and trailer connector in the charge line.

I did that and blew the fuse at the battery, just as we were leaving for 3 months. About a month later the charge line fuse in the tow vehicle went. Surprises on the road we can live without.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #9

Utah
Registry
Byron: I don't currently have a battery in the trailer(yet). And I have a switch in the TV to turn off the TV battery lead to the trailer. Thank goodness that switch was off when I put the plug in upside down. But thanks for your suggestion.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Lessons Learned! Doncha hate that . The seven-way plug on my tug has a tab on the door... it "latches" the plug and keeps it tight and secure in the socket. I could also turn it upside down, but it wouldn't latch. Check the door on your tug's plug, maybe yours is the same?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Lessons Learned! Doncha hate that . The seven-way plug on my tug has a tab on the door... it "latches" the plug and keeps it tight and secure in the socket. I could also turn it upside down, but it wouldn't latch. Check the door on your tug's plug, maybe yours is the same?
I mark all my round plugs with a yellow paint pen so alignment is easy. Looks a little ugly, but sure saves frustration when I'm in a hurry.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #12

Registry
The problem with putting trailer pug upside down is it connects the + of the tow to the - of the trailer and the + of the trailer to the - of the tow. Poor connection configuration design if you ask me.

If do turn the plug upside down you will blow a fuse or two unless the charge line is NOT hot. By the time you determine that latch on the outlet isn't latching it's too late.

Tom has the right idea. I've been meaning to do that, but that darn ole roundtuit is a bit elusive at times.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Are you guys using a different 7 way plug??? The one I use has a large square lug so it can only be plugged in one way.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Are you guys using a different 7 way plug??? The one I use has a large square lug so it can only be plugged in one way.

Jason
Some plugs have a smaller "square lug" and in my case I drug it when I move the trailer without plugging it in and ground off part of the lug making it easier to plug in wrong.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Does the name Murphy come to mind?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #16

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post

Jason
Same here, it would take a sledge hammer to get it together wrong on my trailers. If they go together backwards that easy, it's time to replace them. The vehicle side should take a couple minutes, the trailer side might take 20.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Wiring

Bad, dirty, corroded, moldy, or left some pasta sauce on it or what ever.
99 % of wiring problems usually end up being a ground problem.
1% are likely a wire hooked up to the wrong terminal.
Always check that first.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Mine has a rectangular key, plugs in exactly one way, and the spring-loaded door latches. You and the bear. The bear and you.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con View Post
Bad, dirty, corroded, moldy, or left some pasta sauce on it or what ever.
99 % of wiring problems usually end up being a ground problem.
1% are likely a wire hooked up to the wrong terminal.
Always check that first.
Myth

Tags
electrical