Electrical mystery, solved - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
Electrical mystery, solved

I always read with interest when others make horrible mistakes costing time, money and damaging our precious trailers -- hoping I can prevent the same errors. We took our 17' Bigfoot to Pismo Beach California 2 weeks ago, and while backing into our space at an almost 90 degree angle, the power cord from the tow to the trailer got crushed by the hitch right next to the ball. It shorted the Toyota 4-runner's electrical system, blowing 12 fuses and costing me most of a day to get fixed at the Toyota dealer. The power cord was replaced by the RV repair shop across the street. We had a great stay at the park with no electrical issues, but on the day we left, discovered there was no power in the trailer when we unhooked from shore power, but there was power while connected to the tow vehicle. I figured the RV repair shop had done something to the trailer's electrical system, and I called them as I was coming home to ask what they thought was the problem. They said they were nearly certain I had a dead battery, and the power failure was coincidental to their power cord replacement. On arriving back home we went directly to the battery store and had our 2 five year old 6 volt golf cart batteries replaced, but The power still was out in the trailer. This morning I went to our local RV repair shop and the technician carefully listened to my story. He examined some wiring and in one second restored the power. Do you know how? Pushed a button on a circuit breaker! Smart guy.
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I hate it when that happens. There have been several postings where someone's converter problems turned out to be the electrical cord had fallen out of the 110 volt AC outlet......simple, embarrassing, but after exhausting detective work, an easy fix. . Congratulations on your find.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile KISS

"When you see hoofprints, think horses, not zebras."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Thanks for posting. Been there done that......
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical