Electrical Question? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Michigan
Electrical Question?

If the DC side of my converter box goes out, does the AC side still work as long as I'm plugged in to 110. We have a 2007 13ft Scamp. I know I lose some of my 12v lights but does everything else still work? Fridge? it's 3way, air conditioner is 110 roof top unit? I guess I want to know what quits working if my converter breaks? The air conditioner is most important because we are in south FL. Does the 110 side always work long as I'm plugged in somewhere? Any thoughts appreciated as we're getting ready to take our maiden voyage in a few weeks, FINALLY! YIPPIE!!!!
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
The function of a converter in RV is...convert 120VAC into 12VDC(could be 24VDC/6VDC according to manufacturers). When this converter is defect, nothing of 12VDC will work(lights, 12vdc pwr supply outlets, ceiling fan...). If the coverter is plugged in 120vac source and some of 12vdc equipments don't work at all, the problem falls within those individual equipments(light bulbs, fan...). I suggest you should check, first thing at the fuse panel of 12VDC AFTER checking out each of those failed 12VDC equipment. If the converter has a stored-in battery, it doesn't have to be plugged in 120VDC in order to supply 12VDC output as longas it's bttery is full enough. If the converter is total broke down, nothing will come out as 12VDC from it. Hopefully it helps. If your A/C works with 120VAC pwr supply, regardless of converter state, A/C will still work independtly...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here is the wiring diagram for your trailer. Anything that runs on 110 should still work without the converter.
Attached Thumbnails
electrical.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
If your converter won't charge the battery, you will continue to have 12V lights until the state of discharge of your battery (dead) won't allow it. A difference without a distinction perhaps? You would lose all 12v lights rather than just some of them. Also no DC for the fridge. All 120AC receptacles and the A/C will be live and working while on shore power. A low voltage or brownout condition in the campground electrical supply might burn up the compressor motor on the A/C but nothing to do with converter operation. The real answer is that the everything powered by 120AC SHOULD operate normally when plugged in. But always? Who knows? A power pole goes down; the grid goes dark same as at home.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Why not just fix the problem right once and for all.

A Progressive-Dynamics PD-4045 power center will replace all of the "American" (brand name only) junque Scamp installed and you will be good again.

About $200 + 3 hours labor and it's fixed almost forever, plus you have a real 3 stage "smart" battery charger to boot. You're gonna have to fix it anyway and repairing the original one is good money after bad.....

Been there, done that on a 2004 Scamp.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
...could be 24VDC/6VDC according to manufacturers...
Not in one of our trailers... 6 volts or 24 volts wouldn't be useful for a 12V battery or the 12V lights and appliances.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Michigan
Thanks everyone! Box is not broken we were just wondering if we get somewhere and should it go out would we still have air conditioning and the fridge. Everyone here is sooo helpful!
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
When the "American" (brand name) converter smoked on our 2004 Scamp it really smoked. When you get in the trailer and it is full of smoke about the last thing you will think about is "Does the A/C still work. The best time to up grade is before it goes out, when you have some control over the situation.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: in the market
Ontario
A very old joke with Lucus electric of the UK is once the smoke that was originally manufatured in the part comes out its useless.
pauly42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical