Electrical Repost Backup lights and camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Electrical Repost Backup lights and camera

Hi need help; have the original Earlton manual for our trailer. Want to wire in two backup lights and a camera to the 7 pin wiring setup.

White is ground 14G " - "
Red is Stop and L.H. turn signal 16G
Black is interior lights and refrigerator plus battery charge 12G " + "
Blue is Brake control 12G
Green is Tail and running lights and plate light 16G
Brown is Stop and R.H. turn signal 16G
Yellow is Auxiliary runs too the tail lights area and is listed as extra auxiliary circuit or auxiliary ground. 16G

What do I connect the backup and camera too? Would it go to the auxiliary and if so do I have to change any wires in the car? Yellow seems to be the correct wire to use?

My converter has 15amp 110v have own breaker and 12v battery feeds, two button rest breakers no 110 support from battery; it controls all wiring.

Thankyou in advance
Borden
Old 09-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Back up lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Hi need help; have the original Earlton manual for our trailer. Want to wire in two backup lights and a camera to the 7 pin wiring setup.

What do I connect the backup and camera too? Would it go to the auxiliary and if so do I have to change any wires in the car? Yellow seems to be the correct wire to use?

Thankyou in advance
Borden
I never trust wire color; they do not always match what they should be. The center of the 7 pin (PIN 7) should be backup lights but test it first. The AUX is always on and is used to charge the battery. You never know if it is wired correctly until you try it.
Attached Thumbnails
7 pin.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Backup Lights

Thankyou for your help will check the wiring with the graphic using a meter. It is a great help with the lights.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #4

Ontario
Registry
Electrical Backup lights and camera 1978 boler setup

1 White is ground 14G " - "
2 Blue is Brake control 12G
3 Green is Tail and running lights and plate light 16G
4 Black is interior lights and refrigerator plus battery charge 12G " + "
5 Red is Stop and L.H. turn signal 16G
6 Brown is Stop and R.H. turn signal 16G
7 Yellow is Auxiliary runs to the tail lights area and is listed as extra auxiliary circuit or auxiliary ground. 16G will make sure it is connected to the backup.

Kenneth I May use the #7 for backup lights and then use #3 for camera then can turn on power with running lights for wireless camera module as screen has its own off/on in car for extra function of looking back when driving. Wire at #7 is only 16G

My converter has 15amp 110v have own breaker and 12v battery feeds, two button rest breakers no 110 support from battery; it controls all wiring.

"Never trust wire color; they do not always match what they should be. You never know if it is wired correctly until you try it." great advice.
The center of the 7 pin (PIN 7) should be backup lights by graphic but will test it first.

Will check that the wires match the manual for our trailer and check car is correct on backup at #7 your graphic is a great help

Thankyou in advance
Borden
Old 10-17-2020, 10:44 PM   #5

Name: Frank
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream
Nevada
Registry
Having a cam on the back of the trailer that is powered on when the car is running is a what I will do so I can see the traffic behind and pull over an let traffic go by when necessary. On my 7 pin I will use the power that goes to trailer battery. Rear view cam can be wired anyway you want but constantly on is my preference. I can turn my monitor on and off so it is the best option for me.
canyon Rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you have proper mirrors that allow you to see back 200' in the adjacent lanes ( legal requirement ) and if there are any curves in the road, you will know if traffic is backing up behind you.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #7

Name: Frank
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream
Nevada
Registry
Glen,
Of course we all have proper mirrors and breakaway break systems that have their own battery power to be legal and to be safe. I like having a cam so I can see clearly what is behind me. Its just my personal preference, I am not in any way saying that you need to do as I do. If mirrors are your preference then get the biggest and best you can. The technology to see clearly what is behind you is out there so I am taking advantage of that. Thanks for making me realise even more why I want and use rear view cam.
Canyon Rafter
canyon Rafter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, light, lights