Fantastic Fan - Out Goes in/In Goes Out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Fantastic Fan - Out Goes in/In Goes Out

Here's a riddle.. when I put fan switch to blow out... it blows in & when to in... it blows out.

The battery is hooked up correctly. It worked correctly last year. The only thing I've done is adding LEDs.

Thanks
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
sounds like the switch is wired backwards.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Reversed polarity?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Is it the basic three speed fan?* The in/out switch reverses the polarity to the fan (with the dome switch in series) so the wires could be reversed on the lugs on that switch. Or the wires from the main switch and the reversing switch could be reversed where they connect to the incoming power. Based on the wiring diagram (if this is the same or similar model), it looks like the fan would work in either of those cases. You can remove the cover and take a look (and photo). Or you can use some masking tape and a marker to "fix" it.

* If its a fancier model then things might be a little different. IDK if the fan would require proper polarity at the incoming power source in that case.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
Here's a riddle.. when I put fan switch to blow out... it blows in & when to in... it blows out.

The battery is hooked up correctly. It worked correctly last year. The only thing I've done is adding LEDs.

Thanks
Bearing in mind that in the RV world black is positive and white is negative, are you sure your battery is wired correctly? If you haven't rewired the fan, thats the only other explaination I can think of.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
.. If you haven't rewired the fan, thats the only other explanation I can think of.
How about faulty memory? Even though the switch label is clear, I always had trouble remembering which way was exhaust. Perhaps its been this way all along and is just now being noticed... IDK.. the earths magnetic poles have not reversed yet so I doubt that electrical polarity has changed on it's own.

I guess you can disregard my prior comments if it really did work properly before.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:45 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
The only thing I've done is adding LEDs.

Thanks
Since adding the led's was the only thing that you did, where were they installed and for what purpose?

Maybe you should go back over what you did here as a possible reason why. Would make sense to me.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
Maybe you should go back over what you did here as a possible reason why. Would make sense to me.
Agree. when I read "added LEDs" I assumed LED bulbs and that would involve no re-wiring. But maybe you added fixtures and therefore had to disconnect the battery first. Jon's theory is looking good.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
barryra.....

Seems to me there are two challenges here:
1st. Understanding what has caused this....and
2nd. Fixing the wrong-way switch itself.

The earlier contributors are clearly the ones you need for "1st."

I'm more the "do the 2nd" type. I suggest making a new in/out cover for the switch with a labelmaker, and putting the "in" end on the one that causes the air to come in, and etc., etc. with the other. Now you don't need to bother with the 1st!

Hope to meet you somewhere down the road.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:01 AM   #10

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Check and see if you tapped into the fan circuit for your new led by pulling fuse for fan. If LED goes out what probably happened was you switched wires going to fan reversing polarity. 😎
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #11

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Is it fixed??

barryra What did you find? Inquiring minds want to know. If nothing else has changed, I’d swap the wires going to the motor.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #12

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
barryra What did you find? Inquiring minds want to know. If nothing else has changed, I’d swap the wires going to the motor.
🤔Think he already did that by accident, that's why it's running backwards
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote