Fiberglass trailer in a lightning storm - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Really a big issue.

This whole lightning thing and fiberglass trailer is a big issue. There's several thousand people killed thunder and lightning storms each year while in their RV.
Becareful out there the boggy just might get you.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #22

Name: Dan
Trailer: Escape
Indiana
The facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
This whole lightning thing and fiberglass trailer is a big issue. There's several thousand people killed thunder and lightning storms each year while in their RV.
Becareful out there the boggy just might get you.
I think someone should know and quote facts, not hearsay. Per this link I cannot correlate the statement that several thousand die each year from
storms while in their RV's. Fishing only accounted for 26 deaths over a 7 year period.

NOAA study finds fishing tops U.S. lightning death activities
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:03 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Oldman View Post
I think someone should know and quote facts, not hearsay. Per this link I cannot correlate the statement that several thousand die each year from
storms while in their RV's. Fishing only accounted for 26 deaths over a 7 year period.

NOAA study finds fishing tops U.S. lightning death activities
Thank you, you just made my point. It really something to worry about.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:37 AM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
It's interesting to theorize about the best way to deal with an oncoming thunderstorm. I love thunderstorms, but have decided to not sit out on the porch and watch them while at home. Inside my "faraday" cage, at home, I don't worry about it, as the house is built of massive steel posts and trusses, bolted to a rebar filled slab. The roof solar collectors and their metal frame are grounded with a heavy wire bolted to the iron house frame. A significant ufer ground system grounds the power system with multiple 1/2" rebars buried in the slab and footings.

The trailer has foil backed insulation between it's double hulls, but I doubt it would carry many amps to the frame. It might even act as a giant capacitor and store the charge. Best would be to sit in the TV and attach jumper cables from the frame to a chain link fence, heavy steel post or steel water pipe, just to make the best of what was available, to ground out the charge. Of course, while getting set up, the strike will hit me as I carry the jumper cables or touch the car body and ground it myself.

From what I understand, the highly negative charge of the surrounding air, just before an actual strike, can be grounded with a lightening rod. This might be a steel car body, or a golfer in mid-swing or a tree, etc.

I'm not a golfer, but if I was, I'd refrain during a storm. It seems hiding under a tree for shelter is also a bad idea. Even if you avoid the strike, the tree gets blown up and parts fall on you.

I think I'll sit it out in the trailer, watching through the window and marveling at the power. My awning frame might become the lightening rods, or the TV antenna might, or the air conditioner and it's wire, or the porch light and it's wire. Then I'll be careful not to park where the flash flood might sweep the whole rig away.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:46 AM   #25

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
More dangerous the lightning.

Who knew we have more things to fear than lightning? And I thought us badgers mostly fell on ice covered sidewalks on our way home from the corner bar.

Nearly 3 million hospital visits must be way more dangerous than lightning. I say, "Stay away from hospitals, people die there".

Check out.
MADISON, Wis. - Wisconsin ranks second in fall-related deaths in the U.S. among those 65 and older. The ranking is twice the national average, according to the Wisconsin Institute of Healthy Aging.

Bensche is just one of the 800,000 hospitalizations and 2.8 million seniors who visit the emergency room fall-related injuries a year in the United States, according to the Center for Disease Control. According to the Wisconsin Department of Human Services, 48 counties saw a 50 percent increase in emergency department visits for falls in seniors ages 65 and older in a four-year period from 2010 to 2014.
John

Pic of a dangerous place to fall. El Cap at Yosemite
Attached Thumbnails
Trips West 8.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Winnebago
Wisconsin
Although I live in Wisconsin, I guess I won’t have to worry about falling until I’m 65 or older.
Whew! [emoji4]
...although now I’m wondering if I live in one of those 48 most dangerous counties! [emoji102]
Mike in WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
its the cheese!!! if you live in Wisconsin, by the time you are 65 yu have eaten so much cheese you tend to lean forward with the extra weight.
when hit by lightning, its worse--- the cheese liquifies, sloshes around causing you to lose your balance and fall.

Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
its the cheese!!! if you live in Wisconsin, by the time you are 65 yu have eaten so much cheese you tend to lean forward with the extra weight.
when hit by lightning, its worse--- the cheese liquifies, sloshes around causing you to lose your balance and fall.

Only half right. I just got done blowing 10" of snow for the last 2 hours and enjoying cheese and beer right now, then getting ready to head out again to do family members for another 2 hours. And yes, more beer/cheese. Don't want to fall down out there, or is that what causes the falls?
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:56 PM   #29

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Only half right. I just got done blowing 10" of snow for the last 2 hours and enjoying cheese and beer right now, then getting ready to head out again to do family members for another 2 hours. And yes, more beer/cheese. Don't want to fall down out there, or is that what causes the falls?
Watch out! I just heard on the "news" how dangerous shoveling snow can be, how many people die doing it. Maybe the next time I just leave it alone. Is there a taxpayer supported study on the subject?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light