Flexible Solar Panel Recommendation? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 09:09 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Flexible Solar Panel Recommendation?

I need to replace my Renogy flexible solar panel. I would prefer to not buy another Renogy panel. Their flexible panels seem to have a short lifespan.

I would like around 200W, but could go a little larger or smaller. It must be a flexible panel.

Any recommendations?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I need to replace my Renogy flexible solar panel. I would prefer to not buy another Renogy panel. Their flexible panels seem to have a short lifespan.

I would like around 200W, but could go a little larger or smaller. It must be a flexible panel.

Any recommendations?
Lensun ours are now 4 years and have been very happy . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
The problem with flexible panels is that they need back support. Most are stuck down onto the roof material. Framed panels have open backs which helps to keep the panels cooler, giving them longer life.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:25 AM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
The problem with flexible panels is that they need back support. Most are stuck down onto the roof material. Framed panels have open backs which helps to keep the panels cooler, giving them longer life.
The Lensun panels we have are backed with 1/4 in fiberglass backing . They will bend a little but not as much as others . We experience very hot temps here and they are working great . Some have made some mods to get a little air space underneath but ours are working fine the way they are .. By the time they need replacing the tech will be even more improved and we can get more watts for our roof . We currently have 180 watts to fit on our trailer . Pat
Old 07-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #5

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Perhaps perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
Lensun ours are now 4 years and have been very happy . Pat

A few months ago I wrote to Lensun via their website (in the UK) asking about resistance to hail. Still no answer. Perhaps they didn't want to answer. Perhaps one employee messed up. Perhaps I should have asked three times. Perhaps I should have tried to translate hail into British English. Perhaps their customer service is weak or non-existent. Perhaps perhaps.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:14 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
A few months ago I wrote to Lensun via their website (in the UK) asking about resistance to hail. Still no answer. Perhaps they didn't want to answer. Perhaps one employee messed up. Perhaps I should have asked three times. Perhaps I should have tried to translate hail into British English. Perhaps their customer service is weak or non-existent. Perhaps perhaps.
They have customer service all over the World . In our case I spoke to someone in United States . If you saw the panels you would understand how strong the top surface is . I can’t see any way hail could damage . It is not a surface like other flexible panels and these are called semi- flexible . Your choice we love ours . Pat
Old 07-31-2021, 12:33 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
They have customer service all over the World . In our case I spoke to someone in United States . If you saw the panels you would understand how strong the top surface is . I can’t see any way hail could damage . It is not a surface like other flexible panels and these are called semi- flexible . Your choice we love ours . Pat
Thanks for the reply. I was in my truck when it was destroyed by baseball sized hail which also destroyed my home's roof. A friend's roof 8 miles away was perforated many times in the same storm. It can be a lot worse than baseball sized too.

Now I have a physical reaction to anything larger than graupel.

I don't expect any PV to survive what I have experienced. When I am ready I'd just like to make an informed decision comparing PV panels.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:54 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I was in my truck when it was destroyed by baseball sized hail which also destroyed my home's roof. A friend's roof 8 miles away was perforated many times in the same storm. It can be a lot worse than baseball sized too.

Now I have a physical reaction to anything larger than graupel.

I don't expect any PV to survive what I have experienced. When I am ready I'd just like to make an informed decision comparing PV panels.
Understand . Make sure to check one of their websites and understand their construction which is very different . It is very hot here right now and I would have to pull out ladder to take a few pics for you . If needed can do later . The surface is almost matte not shiny and in my opinion not thin like other flexibles . When we wash trailer we just spray water and panels become clean . We have 3 60 watts . We use Victron charger for our system . Seeing other flexibles was skeptical at first but went with these and was pleasantly surprised . Try to find YouTube’s video’s of others installations . I just taped ours down to roof with 2 in eternabond tape . Hope I spelled it right . Pat
Old 07-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
solar panels

I have Renogy, I check where things are made before I buy, Renogy is in Northern California, I have been unable to locate “Lensun.”. Their website says they have ‘warehouses all over the world.’. Does anyone know where they’re located, some of the “lensun” products are manufactured by ‘Sumyok’. I don’t buy products manufactured in China. I realize some products manufactured in China are better, but check the history of the products, many originated in the U.S. and the patents are now owned by China.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
I don’t buy products manufactured in China.
But, it's OK who owns the company?
In 2010, Volvo Cars became a subsidiary of the Chinese manufacturer Geely Holding Group.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #11

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
I have Renogy, I check where things are made before I buy, Renogy is in Northern California, I have been unable to locate “Lensun.”. Their website says they have ‘warehouses all over the world.’. Does anyone know where they’re located, some of the “lensun” products are manufactured by ‘Sumyok’. I don’t buy products manufactured in China. I realize some products manufactured in China are better, but check the history of the products, many originated in the U.S. and the patents are now owned by China.
I just threw out a Renogy solar panel and I noticed it had a made in China label on the back of it.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
solar panels

Well, in 2004, Volvo was owned by Ford as were 4 or 5 others. But it was made in Sweden. and I do my best to avoid things manufactured in China, and support American companies but can’t win em all.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:35 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Understand . Make sure to check one of their websites and understand their construction which is very different . It is very hot here right now and I would have to pull out ladder to take a few pics for you . If needed can do later . The surface is almost matte not shiny and in my opinion not thin like other flexibles . When we wash trailer we just spray water and panels become clean . We have 3 60 watts . We use Victron charger for our system . Seeing other flexibles was skeptical at first but went with these and was pleasantly surprised . Try to find YouTube’s video’s of others installations . I just taped ours down to roof with 2 in eternabond tape . Hope I spelled it right . Pat

Thanks for the offer but I'm not ready yet and things may change by the time I am ready.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:16 PM   #14

California
Quote:
Thanks for the offer but I'm not ready yet and things may change by the time I am ready.
No problem . Pat
Old 07-31-2021, 06:22 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Stay off your ladder

Here are a couple of photos of Lensun panels. One photo is of the plastic that I installed under the panel and the panel is laying underneath. They aren't 1/4" thick but they are very thick and very rugged.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200713_12_06_43_Rich.jpg   WP_20201003_13_23_53_Rich.jpg  

ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:40 PM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Sunpower Solar

https://sunpower.maxeon.com/int/sola...e-solar-panels

https://news.energysage.com/sunpower...mplete-review/
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:53 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Here are a couple of photos of Lensun panels. One photo is of the plastic that I installed under the panel and the panel is laying underneath. They aren't 1/4" thick but they are very thick and very rugged.
Two backings with their panels . Did you get the fiberglass backing ?Pat
Old 08-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #18

Virginia
I ordered a ECO (EcoWorthy) 130W for a little over $120. If it seems to work OK, I will probably by another so I can have 1 on the roof and 1 as a portable. That way if 1 fails, I will still have 1 working.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Two backings with their panels . Did you get the fiberglass backing ?Pat
No. Is this mentioned on their website?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #20

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I've had 350 watts of Renogy panels (the traditional ones in aluminum frames) for at least 6 years without any problems. They survived hail storms that dented the heck out of my 4Runner and broke the windshield. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Renogy again.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, solar, solar panel