Flexible Solar Panel Recommendation? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #21

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASITA BANANA View Post
I've had 350 watts of Renogy panels (the traditional ones in aluminum frames) for at least 6 years without any problems. They survived hail storms that dented the heck out of my 4Runner and broke the windshield. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Renogy again.
If it is a flexible panel you might want to hesitate. The 1st one was recalled and the 2nd lasted maybe 3 years.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #22

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Weiscraft
California
ThomasC: Please provide a link to or name of the plastic.

thanks, Hugh
HVance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #23

Name: DAN
Trailer: CASITA SPIRIT
California
Solar Suitcase

I can highly recommend the DOKIO 100W Solar Suitcase.
The performance is excellent I even get Ah in cloudy conditions.
Construction is rugged for mobile packing conditions and setup.
I recently changed over to LiPO4 100A battery and the solar controller is fully adjustable for many battery types.
I would go with (2) 100W Solar Suitcase models for ease of ground movement.
CHICO DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #24

Name: DAN
Trailer: CASITA SPIRIT
California
Moveable Solar Panels vs Stationary

My first RV solar panel installation was 140W stationary roof installation on a Class C Motorhome.
As a camp host I am stationary for many months at a time and found the stationary panel pretty useless in the Oregon forest.
I switched to moveable 100W solar suitcase and got the Ah I needed to survive with little generator assist.
100W movable solar panel and 100A LiPO4 battery proved to be adequate for full time in the Casita 17.
The Honda 2000 just sits there now !
CHICO DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:11 AM   #25

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was in my truck when it was destroyed by baseball sized hail which also destroyed my home's roof. A friend's roof 8 miles away was perforated many times in the same storm. It can be a lot worse than baseball sized too.

Now I have a physical reaction to anything larger than graupel.

I don't expect any PV to survive what I have experienced. When I am ready I'd just like to make an informed decision comparing PV panels.
Well I guess you already know that you need super excellent RV insurance that includes comprehensive!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #26

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Well I guess you already know that you need super excellent RV insurance that includes comprehensive!!!

If we are still talking about PV, then I don't agree. One or two panels that cost <$200 each are for my values best self insured.

If we are talking about the whole RV: the fiberglass topper on my truck had a trivial amount of cosmetic damage when the truck was destroyed. Another non-issue.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:45 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
No. Is this mentioned on their website?
I believe so . Just make sure to get the fiberglass backing . It is called semi flexible so not really flexible . It can be bent just a little . Mine are laid down flat and work great . I find they work so well no need to worry about having them raise up to catch more sun . We also have a folding solar go power we bring along but just carry it along and never needed to use yet . Last real use was at last quartzite rally. We needed the heater on night and day because it was February. Solar was back up by 11 am or 12 pm the next day , but never brought batteries down much . We also used our water pump for 2 people showering every night for 5 days . We have led lights etc. Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #28

Name: steve and teresa
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout #6
Michigan
Flexible Panels - GP-FLEX-200

I have been using Go Power Flexible panels on our boat for the last 5 years. They have been walked on, out in the Florida sun in 2016/2017 for over a year, and each season in Michigan for the summer. Model GP-FLEX-200. They are mounted on the teak deck so no air circulation under the panels. I think this is a more harsh usage than the RV.

Control Panel

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-08-08 12.32.52.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	142667

Solar Panels on Deck

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-08-08 12.32.05 e.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	142666
Attached Thumbnails
2021-08-08 12.32.05 (1).jpg  
Scamp 16 side dinette Layout #6 2005
Ford Flex 2019
Steve.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.L View Post
I have been using Go Power Flexible panels on our boat for the last 5 years. They have been walked on, out in the Florida sun in 2016/2017 for over a year, and each season in Michigan for the summer. Model GP-FLEX-200. They are mounted on the teak deck so no air circulation under the panels. I think this is a more harsh usage than the RV.

Control Panel

Attachment 142667

Solar Panels on Deck

Attachment 142666
Yes too bad flex panels get a bad wrap . Likes to like about them . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #30

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVance View Post
ThomasC: Please provide a link to or name of the plastic.

thanks, Hugh
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplas...896S/205351385
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.L View Post

Control Panel

Attachment 142667

Solar Panels on Deck

Attachment 142666
My new trailer has two Go Power flexible panels glued to the roof. I don't know the model number of these yet, as I don't get the trailer until Monday, but the way they are positioned and the way the wires are run, they get shaded. My experience is that some panels shut off completely with even a small but of shading. What is your experience with your Go Power panels? Do they shut off, or just reduce proportionally their output with shading?
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 08-12-2021, 05:19 AM   #32

Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
I've had 350 watts of Renogy panels (the traditional ones in aluminum frames) for at least 6 years without any problems. They survived hail storms that dented the heck out of my 4Runner and broke the windshield. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Renogy again.

Sounds like you should have covered your 4Runner and windshield with these things?
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #33

Name: steve and teresa
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout #6
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
My new trailer has two Go Power flexible panels glued to the roof. I don't know the model number of these yet, as I don't get the trailer until Monday, but the way they are positioned and the way the wires are run, they get shaded. My experience is that some panels shut off completely with even a small but of shading. What is your experience with your Go Power panels? Do they shut off, or just reduce proportionally their output with shading?
My Go Power flexible panels, are installed in parallel. If I completely shade one it dos not effect the other one. The panels do have some shading depending on the angle of the sun, which just slightly reduces the output. It does not completely shut down that panel.
Scamp 16 side dinette Layout #6 2005
Ford Flex 2019
Steve.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #34

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Steve,

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:52 PM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
I had two 100 watt semi flexible panels by Renogy that failed after two years...they gave me a full refund, so I purchased a single 160 watt hard panel from them and have never had any problems.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, solar, solar panel