Flexible Solar Panels for 19' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #21

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
We have had two sets of 100 W Renogy flexible panels fail on us after a few years each. We used 3M VHB tape at each edge to mount and that worked well. (Maybe too well as I suspect it was the direct mount to the fiberglass that did them in.). I would leave a gap for air to pass through (the tape is thick enough that there is space between the fiberglass and panel) but then I worry about the mount not being as strong or failing sooner due to water or something I have not thought of.
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #22

Name: Richard
Trailer: Bigfoot
BC
Just did 2 100 watt rigid on my Bigfoot camper with 30 amp controller. Easy. Bought from Canadian company called Renogy.
Cost 305 cdn. Product came within 1 week. Recommend not using flexible panels , nor tape. Good luck.
Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #23

Trailer: Fleetwood Williamsburg
I have 1 Ecoworthy and 2 Renogy flexible panels. I have switched to industrial Velcro, Gorilla tape and Eternabond tape. I have an aluminum "Z" carpet threshold strip on the leading edge to prevent airflow under the panel from the front. The Velcro allows air flow and water drainage. I borrowed this method from the Van Life guys who use this method to attach to their Van roofs.
Wesley S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcjmiami View Post
I want to put 200 watts of flexible solar panels on my 19' scamp.
Can anybody give me advise as to vendors and or installation of the system?

I already have two deep cycle batteries on the scamp, 1000w inverter and 60 amp wiring to my truck alternator.
Well, flexible panels are controversial. Here’s three videos related to flexible panels & drill-less install for rigid panels:

https://youtu.be/PBUat-Drilw

https://youtu.be/onMZ_dRSFUs

If you do decide to go with flexible panels, there are maybe 1 or 2 manufacturers you should consider: Lensun & CIGS

The thing about flexible panels is they are much larger than rigid panels.

If you haven’t done this already, you need to access your roof to take measurements of the areas you are considering placing the panels. I originally planned to place two 200 watt panels on my roof, and was surprised that there wasn’t enough room.

I’ve relied heavily on Will Prowse’s videos, web site and his book. He really likes doing comparisons of panels, types of panels (poly vs mono), solar controllers, and inverters. He has a couple of videos devoted to small off grid systems.

https://youtu.be/FY6dnQAoMzc

If you do not understand this video, you need to take time to learn more about off grid solar.

I got some terrific information from this forum. Everyone has been helpful & more than willing to share their knowledge as specific problems have cropped up.

Regarding vendors, I used HQST & Rich Solar for my panels and mounts, and Amazon.com. I just purchased three HQST 100w “compact design” panels. I was certain i’d buy a Victron controller (the “best” of the best), but decided that the RichSolar 40MTTP Controller was a better fit. I decided to use 8 gage cables. Because of that, I did not purchase a kit. Interestingly, I saved money separating the components.

Thomas C. (Who has installed flexible panels), turned me onto TAMco Solar wiring sold by WindyNation, on Amazon.com. They sell 8 gage cables with MP4 connectors; I could not ID any vendor who has MP4 connectors for 8 gage, so this is an important find. Plus, TAMco is a high quality manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-E...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You’ll need to decide about connectors, fuses, etc.

Where do you live? I may know where you can have all this installed, if you prefer someone else does the work.

Hope this helps
Old 04-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by biw314 View Post
We have had two sets of 100 W Renogy flexible panels fail on us after a few years each. We used 3M VHB tape at each edge to mount and that worked well. (Maybe too well as I suspect it was the direct mount to the fiberglass that did them in.). I would leave a gap for air to pass through (the tape is thick enough that there is space between the fiberglass and panel) but then I worry about the mount not being as strong or failing sooner due to water or something I have not thought of.
I've got two 160w Renogy flex panels mounted the same way [VHB perimeter without a vent/gap...) and have had no problems. When I did the install 2 years ago, Renogy's own media and instructions did not mention anything about venting. Between that and their 5-year warranty, I chose the non-vented method for simplicity and to avoid dirt or moisture getting trapped beneath. However...

Renogy released the 2020 video below a year later that does recommend leaving gaps for venting. I still prefer the ease of working with VHB to marine silicone. But if the manufacturer is now recommending vent gaps, that's what I'd do if I were to do it again.

Flexible solar panels are still relatively new. No doubt reputable companies like Renogy have better products and application knowledge today than 5-6 years ago. Flex panels may never equal the life span and efficiency of rigid panels. But to those of us with weight or mounting limitations, they often make the difference between adding solar or not. In that light, the compromises have been acceptable to me.

OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #26

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16
Idaho
Another Solar Panel Question

Quote:
I want to put 200 watts of flexible solar panels on my 19' scamp.
Can anybody give me advise as to vendors and or installation of the system?

I already have two deep cycle batteries on the scamp, 1000w inverter and 60 amp wiring to my truck alternator.
I bought a 1999 Scamp 16 that has a 30 watt solar panel mounted to the roof and a deep cycle 12v battery on the tongue. I bought another similar battery that I wired in parallel and carry in the tow vehicle. I recently purchased 100 watts of solar in four 25 watt panels that I presently don't plan to mount but would like to set out when camping. The panels came with controller and wiring. My question is can I connect the output from the additional panels, after running through the new controller, to the batteries while the original panel and controller are connected to the batteries.
denswaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:38 PM   #27

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Just looking at my Scamp, I would say the shape is a higher order (warped) surface*. I do not think any part of the shell can accept a flexible panel double side taped in place. Only a flat or cylindrical surface allows mounting something like a flexible solar panel without introducing unknown stresses. That says rigid panel mounted with hardware will have to be the way, when I get to that point. Or, a portable one, to be set up where the sun shines.

*) The only flat area is the front of the loft. Some years they put a window there, as far as I know.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:23 PM   #28

Name: Cece
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 19’ :)
Ohio
Thanks for steering me to this thread, Paul O. It seems from what I’m reading that flexible panels have a not-so-great track record, but what about the suitcase or semi flex models? Do they hold up better, or do they break down quickly as well?

Also, has anyone have experience with Scamp’s factory installed roof mounted panels? I’m trying to decide if I want go with Scamp’s solar kit or an after market roof installation.
Ceceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:55 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We always need to stop living in the past. We flexible solar to use videos that are old as a reference, instead of investigating newer technologies, disallows the use of these newer, and much improved, technologies.

Things improve. I researched flexible solar 4-5 years ago, saw all the older negative reviews, but pursued looking at the newer technologies used before committing to Lensun. They are still performing as new, and I live that they are bit visible.

Just as the right choice with rigid panels is required, so it's it with semi - flexible,
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:22 PM   #30

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Dennis, yes you can use your solar panels in combination. I'm a boondocker. Generators are noisy and expensive to run and I can carry only so many batteries so I went solar a long time ago.
Even if you don't want to mount your panels permanently, you may want to consider some type of a rack or other means of attachment to the roof of your unit. This provides a safe and secure placement for both the panels and the wires that connect them. Both are delicate in the back country.
Many charge controllers can accept input from multiple solar panels simultaneously, careful not to exceed the controllers input capacity.
The output from two or more charge controllers can feed a common battery, but if you have two batteries, you MAY get better performance if you have two separate solar panel/charge controller/battery systems. When batteries are connected in parallel, they equalize their charge. The stronger battery discharges into/tries to charge the weaker battery. The power loss from the stronger battery is always greater than any power gain for the weaker battery. Batteries to be used in parallel should identical and purchased at the same time (same lot #) to minimize equalization power losses. You will likely get more run time from two separate systems.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #31

Name: Thomas
Hollywood
Final decision

I ordered two 100w ridgid panels measuring 26.4 by 36.8
I am mounting one on the incline up to the sleeping area and the other on the flat behind the forward hatch.
I will be using 3M 5200 to mount the Z brackets to the roof.
The cables will drop down to the controller mounted under the stairs leading to the bed.
I already have two batteries mounted in boxes that I added to the front brackets, and 60 amp charging line to engine.
I can add a 100w panel on the back later if needed behind the frig vent and inside of the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
20210410_101739.jpg   20210410_101752.jpg  

20210410_101841.jpg  
Tcjmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #32

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
What brand panels did you choose?

This size should fit perfectly on the front of our Escape 5th wheel.

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #33

Hollywood
26 x 36 panels

There are several mfg for this dimension.
This was the only way to get the 200w in the space I have available.

I made sure that the panels were monocrystaline and that I could send them back if there was a problem.
I chose WEIZE 200 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel Starter Kit
this was $239 on Amazon.
Only addon was I ordered was 20' 10awg cables.
The kit comes with 12awg but that is to small for the load (to much loss).
Old 04-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #34

Quote:
There are several mfg for this dimension.
This was the only way to get the 200w in the space I have available.

I made sure that the panels were monocrystaline and that I could send them back if there was a problem.
I chose WEIZE 200 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel Starter Kit
this was $239 on Amazon.
Only addon was I ordered was 20' 10awg cables.
The kit comes with 12awg but that is to small for the load (to much loss).
Thanks!

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 04-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #35

I've had contact with a numerous users about flexible panels. Too many failures and there seems to be no brand immune. OTOH, very few failures with rigid panels.

While I'm not a true believer in Will Prowse, he has more contact with users than anyone. Period! An interesting read is Will's Solar Panels For Vehicle Mounted Systems.

And yes, Will makes money from his recommendations, but he also acknowledges that fact: "​(I Make A Commission For Purchases Made Through The Links Below)".

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 04-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #36

Hollywood
The panels that chose were rigid.
The flexible just didn't seem reliable enough and they were twice as expensive.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #37

Name: Julia
Trailer: Sunrader Shorty
Arizona
Need feedback on how flex or hard solar panels survive 117 deg AZ heat

When I went solar panel shopping this last year at an RV show, I was told repeatedly by hard panel vendors selling both had and flexible ones, that the flexible ones "only last a year". Yet I see that flexible ones cost the same or more than the hard ones.

I live in Scottsdale, AZ, and last summer we had the hottest summer ever, record-breaking heat every day, not by 2 degrees, but by 12 degrees, like 117 degrees every day. Those who say their hard panels cracked in the sun, don't even live in Phoenix metro at 117 degrees. Many citrus trees that have been living for years and years, died, after this past summer, including mine. This April, it is already the hottest April ever recorded, almost 100 degrees every day so far. I just saw on TV that there are no baby saguaros for the last 15 years, because it has been too hot for the babies to survive to adulthood. Scary, humans and other living creatures, may not survive this kind of heat, much less solar panels.

Does anyone living in the Phoenix metro or other such hot AZ areas like Yuma have experiences with their solar panels (hard or flexible?) surviving for years and years (how many years?) and what brands they are if they survived all those years?
Julia G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #38

Name: Keith
Texas
Quote:
I am mounting one on the incline up to the sleeping area and the other on the flat behind the forward hatch.
I will be using 3M 5200 to mount the Z brackets to the roof.
The cables will drop down to the controller mounted under the stairs leading to the bed.
I already have two batteries mounted in boxes that I added to the front brackets, and 60 amp charging line to engine.
I can add a 100w panel on the back later if needed behind the frig vent and inside of the awning.
I really like the battery boxes. Taking note for future upgrades.

I’d love to see a better picture of your stairs. That looks very interesting.

These 19’s are just so ripe for customizing.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #39

Hollywood
I will post pictures when I get the panels and controls mounted.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #40

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16
Idaho
Mike,
Thank you for the informed reply. The batteries are pretty identical but one is significantly older. I plan to try both ways, separate and two systems in parallel. Thanks again. Dennis
denswaer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, solar, solar panel