Florescent Light Problem in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Florescent Light Problem in Scamp

We have a problem with the Florescent light in the scamp. When we are plugged in and the lamp is turned off it will suddenly flash brightly. This can be annoying when trying to sleep. Is this a problem with the light or could it be caused by a static electrical change (walls are covered with Rat Fur). This only occurs when we are plugged in and it flashes about once an our or two?. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Sandy
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Christie View Post
. . . When we are plugged in and the lamp is turned off it will suddenly flash brightly . . .
That sounds like capacitive discharge. You probably have a "leaky" on/off switch on the light that's slowly charging the electronic ballast. Replacing the switch or swapping out the light should solve the problem.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Sandy Christie... Doesn't sound like it flashes enough for a "Disco" strobe so I'd take out the fixture and check with an electric supply place but not a Home Depot type store. You might be able to just replace the switch but failing that I believe they are avail. from Scamp Parts Store.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Just replace the light, they're not that expensive. I mean the whole light fixture, not just the bulb.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
While on the topic of the florescent lamp I have a new issue that Im not sure is the lamp or my converter. Sometimes when I turn on the lamp when plugged in the light does not come on. If I flick the light switch a couple of time I hear a fairly load click (sounds like its coming from the converter) then the light will come on.

Do I have a converter issue or does the light need replacing? or is possible a loose connection between the converter and the light?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
Just replace the compleat fixture,your problems will be solved.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Carol,
The florescent lamp has nothing to do with the converter except they both use 120v ac

The converter take's in 120v ac and puts out 12v dc

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
While on the topic of the florescent lamp I have a new issue that Im not sure is the lamp or my converter. Sometimes when I turn on the lamp when plugged in the light does not come on. If I flick the light switch a couple of time I hear a fairly load click (sounds like its coming from the converter) then the light will come on.

Do I have a converter issue or does the light need replacing? or is possible a loose connection between the converter and the light?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #8

Registry
Thanks Bill that is my understanding as well and I know the light is only 120V - so the big click sound from the converter - much like the one I hear when I plug the trailer into AC seems a bit weird to hear when turning the light switch. Suspect I will just replace the light and hope that is all the problem is.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Bill that is my understanding as well and I know the light is only 120V - so the big click sound from the converter - much like the one I hear when I plug the trailer into AC seems a bit weird to hear when turning the light switch. Suspect I will just replace the light and hope that is all the problem is.
My flourescents in the U-haul are 12V ones. They have some kind of flyback circuit inside to create the high voltage to fire the tube. My point is, you might want to check a little closer to see if they are running off the converter or the mains. If they are running off the converter, it would explain the sound.

The newer ones from Thinlite look like these (scroll down for the bar lamps). The older ones had that 70's speaker cabinet woodgrain everywhere but the lens.

http://www.rvtruckparts.com/prodsele...DID=48&CID=212

Regards,

Matt
Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Joe

Name: Doe
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
That sounds like capacitive discharge. You probably have a "leaky" on/off switch on the light that's slowly charging the electronic ballast. Replacing the switch or swapping out the light should solve the problem.
Really are you sure about this? I will try your suggestion too because we have the same problem at home. I hope it will be okay.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Thanks for the info. I did some further checking and agree with PeterH and Alf. It has to be the switch which I will replace. If for some reason that does not fix it I will replace with some LED lights.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #12

Registry
Thanks Matt - the light is the original one from Scamp and it is 120 only - it looks like this
110 Volt 18

The wire diagram shows the light does go to the 120 main box via the 120 electrical plug- but the 120 box does go back to the converter for ground and 12 volt etc . hummm
Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Most likely in both your case and the OP is the cheap slide switch. They have a tendency to stick either not turn all the way on or all the way off.
Byron
Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I wonder if your Hot and Neutral leads are reversed connecting to the lamp fixture so that the on/off switch is interupting the neutral wire instead of the hot wire. There would then always be a 110v potential between the flourescent tube and ground even when it's switched off which might be your culprit.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, scamp