fluorescent light - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
fluorescent light

I want to remove the old fluorescent light above the sink in my 13' Scamp and replace it with under cabinet LEDs. However, I don't see how to get the old light out of there. Can anyone give me direction, please?
Linda M R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Most likely the light is riveted to the cabinet. Just drill the rivet heads out.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:12 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I replaced that fluorescent a few weeks ago. Some of the internal wiring, related to the starting circuit, was solid wire and it broke due to vibration. The fixture was attached to the underside of the storage cabinets by screws. I used screws to mount the new LED light, but first drove them in, then took them out, shortened and replaced, so they do not stick inside through the wood, but have maximum thread engagement.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Check voltages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda M R View Post
I want to remove the old fluorescent light above the sink in my 13' Scamp and replace it with under cabinet LEDs. However, I don't see how to get the old light out of there. Can anyone give me direction, please?
Be sure to match voltages, old and new.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:03 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Be sure to match voltages, old and new.
And the frequency! (Either 60 Hz or no Hz)

But you don't need to match the old power source and I would not.

In other words, you can choose a 12 volt DC light or a 120 volt AC light. The fluorescent is the latter. I would not use a 120 VAC light... it limits your option and why Scamp used them years ago I can't understand. So a nice new 12 VDC light is in order, and LED much prefered. That means you will need to secure the old 120 VAC wire and make it safe. Then find a good place to get 12 VDC power (maybe the nearest 12 VDC light), and run some more wire. A little more work but you end up with a more efficient light that works on battery or shore power.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #6

North Dakota
Thanks for the information!
Love this site - for an inexperienced camper owner, I learn so much from you experienced owners.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #7

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
A little more work but you end up with a more efficient light that works on battery or shore power.
I was surprised to find that the florescent and l.e.d. efficiencies (lumens output per watt input) was quite close and why I'm not scrapping my florescent bulbs until they fail. Efficiency is not improved enough to justify the switch from florescent to l.e.d.
There are a myriad of other reasons to switch from florescent to l.e.d., mainly the elimination of glass breakage and the trace amounts of mercury, but efficiency improvement as a primary reason? nope.
Jon MB
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I had an argument about LEDs vs. florescent some years ago. I told a co-worker that florescent was more efficient then LEDs. He looked at me like my hair was on fire. After some back and forth, I just said, "Google it", which he did. He was very surprised.

Now, there has been development on LEDs since, and they have improved in their efficiency. Like Bonnie said, they are slightly more efficient now. The big theoretical advantage is their life span, though there is no guarantee on that.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:08 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Yes LEDS usually last much longer and cost less than fluorescent... hence more efficient.
But the main reason for the switch in the camper is so that you dont need to be on shore power for the light to work.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:37 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Registry
LED replacement for fluorescent

Quote:
There is a replacement 12 volt DC LED that will fit that fixture.
Attached Thumbnails
2021-07-15 23_44_25-Greenshot.png  
Old 07-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Yes LEDS usually last much longer and cost less than fluorescent... hence more efficient.
But the main reason for the switch in the camper is so that you dont need to be on shore power for the light to work.
There are 12VDC fluorescent fixtures.
Attached Thumbnails
12VDC Fluorescent.JPG  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #12

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Our '06 Scamp had the fluorescent light fastened with rivets from the outside. I replaced it with a 12volt fluorescent at the time so we could always have a bright kitchen light. I carry a spare tube which I haven't yet used so I imagine it will be in place for the rest of our camping days.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: 13' Scamp 2003
California
I was able to replace mine with an led and also run the ac line up to the pantry cabinet and wire an ac plug to the side that faces the bed.
tweistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #14

Name: Rick
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B25FB
California
Registry
Use that fixture. You can buy led tubes From www.m4ledproducts.com in Chatsworth CA.
Follow the instructions. You by pass the ballast using led bulbs. I put them in a 92 Toyota awesome light. Lots of other led lights for old fixtures.
Rick L. Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #15

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Over sink light on Scamp

Quote:
We replaced the crazy fluorescent light with better light.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6516.jpg  
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #16

North Dakota
Well, we made the switch to LEDs but stayed with 120 volt so ended up putting in an outlet where the fluorescent wires came in. I love the new lighting - the old (from 1991) fixture had yellowed and was broken at one end. I would still like to replace the lights on the sides of the upper cabinet for the same reason - those will remain 12 volt.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 07-21-2021, 09:29 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Registry
https://m4products.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Harrison View Post
Use that fixture. You can buy led tubes From www.m4ledproducts.com in Chatsworth CA.
Follow the instructions. You by pass the ballast using led bulbs. I put them in a 92 Toyota awesome light. Lots of other led lights for old fixtures.
https://m4products.com/
Old 07-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #18

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
This has been a common theme throughout this thread, that the florescent lights the OP has are 120v AC. Linda (the OP) has a 1986 Trailer (according to her profile) and never told us whether the lights are 12v DC or 120v AC, they could be either one, and this sorta leaves me wondering why everyone is making the assumption that the florescent lights she has are 120v AC.

There have been lots of 12v DC flouescent lights made in the past, my '08 Bigfoot has a nice looking 12v DC two bulb fixture over the sink (on the bottom of the cabinet). Now, I took the fixture down, disassembled it and removed the ballast and rewired it for the replacement LED lamps I bought that fit in the original sockets. I could have just used the self adhesive LED strips or some other type of LED but the fixture has nice polished reflectors in it and the LED replacement tubes do a good job of emitting lots of light in all directions, so it was natural to use the replacement tubes, even though they were rather expensive. (cheap LEDs don't get it, I want an exact color of light and something that is durable, so I now buy all of my LEDs from M4Products.)

https://m4products.com/tube-lights/

This 18 inch replaement fixture would be a good undercabinet light fixture if you have a desire to replace the entire fixture. They do not have anything shorter, this is 18 inch long by 5 inches deep and only 3/4 inch thick, and has a rocker switch. My undercabinet light was 12 inches if I recall.

https://m4products.com/kw-294-460-rs...t-panel-light/

Quote:
Well, we made the switch to LEDs but stayed with 120 volt so ended up putting in an outlet where the fluorescent wires came in. I love the new lighting - the old (from 1991) fixture had yellowed and was broken at one end. I would still like to replace the lights on the sides of the upper cabinet for the same reason - those will remain 12 volt.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Well, I failed to read all the way to the end before I posted. I had read this thread several days ago. As noted above, M$ Products is my go to for replacement lamps and fixtures. You pay for what you get, and I want LEDs with natural white light and I want them all to match, so I buy everything from them, as I am assured of the quality and the color of the LEDs. Most LED suppliers sell whatever the Chinese vendor pushes on them. M4 engineers the lights and has them made to their specifications, including the brand of LEDs to use, nothing is left to chance.

Charles
Old 07-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #19

Wisconsin
Registry
It's a Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
This has been a common theme throughout this thread, that the florescent lights the OP has are 120v AC.
OP has a Scamp , and that's what Scamp used.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #20

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
Our '06 Scamp had the fluorescent light fastened with rivets from the outside. I replaced it with a 12volt fluorescent at the time so we could always have a bright kitchen light. I carry a spare tube which I haven't yet used so I imagine it will be in place for the rest of our camping days.
Did you replace the light in same place? What did you do with the holes to the outside (why didn't Scamp put it under the cab instead of thru the wall???)
Thanks
Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light