FORD F150 RV charging - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2022, 09:05 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
FORD F150 RV charging

When my f150 was new (2016) I checked the “charging” voltage in the 7 pin connector and found it to be OFF when the engine was not running. After several recalls and a computer change, I found today that it was on at all times. Have others checked this?
I also ordered a DC to DC charger because this voltage was always under 13 volts, when installing the charger today I found the feed was 13.6 VDC. I’m still installing the DC to DC because it is just better for battery management.
The picture is my temporary test installation. I added 14” #10 extensions to the feed to get them where I could hook and unhook the charger if needed.(Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I miss-post about one per year and lost this one earlier today.)
Attached Thumbnails
DC to DC charger.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 10:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Assuming that you have a factory tow package, wired in a conventional manner....
It should only charge the trailer key on.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:59 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
More testing needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Assuming that you have a factory tow package, wired in a conventional manner....
It should only charge the trailer key on.
Thank you, that's what I thought. Yet yesterday when I put in the charger I had 12 volts on the feed until I unplugged from the T/V.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:10 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Thank you, that's what I thought. Yet yesterday when I put in the charger I had 12 volts on the feed until I unplugged from the T/V.
On my 2018 F150 the feed to the trailer does not shut off instantly unless you lock the truck. Takes about 2 minutes...

It also does not start until the truck is in gear for a bit.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
On my 2018 F150 the feed to the trailer does not shut off instantly unless you lock the truck. Takes about 2 minutes...

It also does not start until the truck is in gear for a bit.

That sounds about right! My 2019 Ranger caused me some consternation until I saw what it was doing.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
My 2019 F-150 has no voltage at the 7 pin connector until the truck is started and the truck is put into drive. Power will remain until the truck is turned off.

I assumed I had a blown fuse and was embarrassed when a parts man showed me it wasn't. Oh Well!
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:02 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
After more testing...

Quote:
When my f150 was new (2016) I checked the “charging” voltage in the 7 pin connector and found it to be OFF when the engine was not running.
.. I find that now mine is always on. I hooked up my test jumper today with a bright light that I can see from the house and it is staying on. The truck is in park, nothing is on and the doors are locked. I'll look into it more but it is not a problem as long as I know about it and unplug for long stops. (Based on my internet search I'd say that I'm the only one that has ever had {or noticed} this problem.)
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:02 PM   #8

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
Quote:
.. I find that now mine is always on. I hooked up my test jumper today with a bright light that I can see from the house and it is staying on. The truck is in park, nothing is on and the doors are locked. I'll look into it more but it is not a problem as long as I know about it and unplug for long stops. (Based on my internet search I'd say that I'm the only one that has ever had {or noticed} this problem.)
Thanks for the help.
If you are testing the voltage with the trailer connected to the truck, you are reading your trailer battery when the truck is off.
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:31 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
I couldn't be that lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
If you are testing the voltage with the trailer connected to the truck, you are reading your trailer battery when the truck is off.
That sounds like something I'd do but I had the fuse pulled, the rats nest apart and the voltage went away when I unplugged from the T/V.
Attached Thumbnails
RATS NEST.jpg  
Old 05-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Registry
The interim followup

Quote:
When my f150 was new (2016) I checked the “charging” voltage in the 7 pin connector and found it to be OFF when the engine was not running.

Thanks for the information, I was starting to think my memory was failing me. I talked to the Ford dealer about the charge line. It's $100 to look at it and the ECM towing module may be bad. I can live with it as long as I know about it so I'll have them check it at the next oil change.Time to get ready to go RVing.