Fridge- Magical 3 way? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Saskatchewan
Fridge- Magical 3 way?

Hi there. I am an new member, just bought an 87 Little Bigfoot 13.5 trailer. Learning the operations of the appliances, but have gotten confused about the fridge. It is a Dometic RM2200, the info on the trailer door says it is 12V/110V/LP. The operation controls have only one toggle switch for 12V on or off) and when it is in the off position, the valve for the LP is free to be turned on (it is locked out when the toggle is in the ON position). I see no option to switch to 110. Does the trailer somehow know to go to 110 when the trailer is plugged into my household outlet? Would I leave the 12 V toggle off for this, or leave it on and disconnect my battery? The fridge is presently working great with the 12 V toggle on and plugged into the house, but my battery sure died quick when trying things out tonight! PRobably need a new battery anyway ( the one in there says 2012). Anybody have info on these fridges?
Thanks ,Slade
slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Try looking in the document center for your fridge type or close to your fridge type. You will find lots of documents like the one in the link I'm attaching.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...rigeration.pdf
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #3

Saskatchewan
hmmm, the link doesn't seem to work. I did find a manual online for the RM2200, but somehow it is a different model, with the controls on the top of the fridge on the inside of the trailer. The Little Bigfoot has the controls accessible through a panel on the outside of the vehicle, and the controls are set up differently than the manual suggests.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
The link is just an example of what's available in the document center. Top bar, click on more and it will scroll down with document center being one of the items.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:21 AM   #5

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Fridge- Magical 3 way?

Rm2200 manual can be downloaded from https://www.yumpu.com/xx/document/vi...-kama-fritid/5
Unfortunately, no trace of an english version
Old 10-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #6

Quebec
Registry
Fridge- Magical 3 way?

One thing for sure, unless you are connected to a 12V source like a running vehicule engine, 12v batteries will get drained very quicky. If you stop the towing vehicle, switch to LP operation. 120v and 12v operation is based on a heating element that is fused protected. Such elements often burn out over time. A ohm meter can be used to find out if it is damaged. Heating elements typically use about 95w of power. This means, it will drain about 8A under 12v. Battery chargers typically provide 2 to 10A... check your 12V fuse... it is unlikely more than 10A. A new battery will likely get drained in less than 2h. Recharging the drained battery would take forever if the fridge uses 8A. If battery is drained completely or overcharged with an unregulated charger, it will wear out prematurely. So, buying a new battery alone is not the solution.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
English: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/47...ux-Rm2200.html
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Interesting. If the directions don’t help, post a photo of the controls for us.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
Hi there. I am an new member, just bought an 87 Little Bigfoot 13.5 trailer. Learning the operations of the appliances, but have gotten confused about the fridge. It is a Dometic RM2200, the info on the trailer door says it is 12V/110V/LP. The operation controls have only one toggle switch for 12V on or off) and when it is in the off position, the valve for the LP is free to be turned on (it is locked out when the toggle is in the ON position). I see no option to switch to 110. Does the trailer somehow know to go to 110 when the trailer is plugged into my household outlet? Would I leave the 12 V toggle off for this, or leave it on and disconnect my battery? The fridge is presently working great with the 12 V toggle on and plugged into the house, but my battery sure died quick when trying things out tonight! PRobably need a new battery anyway ( the one in there says 2012). Anybody have info on these fridges?
Thanks ,Slade
honr the old owner and ask them how it worked.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Thanks ,Slade
Sounds like they tried to make it idiot proof so you can have only one heat source on at a time. Our older models you had to do so yourself.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #11

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Slade I have a 93 13.5 " Lil " BigFoot RM 2201 Manual. I can send an email copy if you need. This manual is for a freeze model. perhaps the same controls. You can call to talk or send personal contact.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
lp operation

mine is pretty much idiot proof the 12v is turned of you then push the pilot knob you will hear gas then push the sparker it should lite. you will hear a whuuuush the the chimley will get warm.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
3 way fridge

I am in edmonton ab can you post a pic i know where there may be parts Thanks
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #14

Quebec
Registry
Fridge- Magical 3 way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroen View Post

Instruction manual specifies that 12v operation will only work if tow vehicule engine is running. That clarifies one concern you have.
Proprer hitch wiring should allow 12v operation, but make sure there is a relay that cuts power if the engine is not running: direcly on the battery your fridge will drain the tow vehicule battery... not a good idea.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #15

Saskatchewan
Hi Kenny. Maybe you could send me a private message and I will send you my e-mail. I tried to PM you, but as a new member it tells me I have to wait until I become a 'trusted' member. I appreciate your offer.
Thanks, Slade
Old 10-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #16

Saskatchewan
If that is how it works, that's great. I would test the theory by pluggiing into my 110AC at the house, and disconnecting my battery totally, but it is already COLD here, so now that the fridge is cold, it will stay cold until April or so!
Old 10-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #17

Saskatchewan
photo pending

Thanks for all the info guys- I have obviously found a wonderful community to share info with. Just for clarification, my fridge is working on gas and electric, but I can't tell if the fridge got cold off the 12V, or off the 110AC as it was plugged in at the time, and there is no 12V/11AC toggle switch, just 12V on/off, which allows the LP to be turned on when in the off position. I need to pick up a trickle charger to charge up my battery, as it is seriously low right now, but then I will experiment some more. Right now it is COLD here, so the fridge will stay cold until April or so!
Old 10-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #18

Saskatchewan
photo

Here is a photo of the setup. The little black switch at the bottom left is the on/off toggle for the 12V, the lever beside it is the gas.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #19

Saskatchewan
Let's try that again....
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpg  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #20

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Thanks ,Slade
Generally the 110 kicks in when you plug into electric if on propane. If on 12V it will not automatically change. No need to remove battery for any reason. Never leave in 12V if not towing. It will drain the battery quick and sometimes will drain the battery to some degree if towing. If your battery is 5 years old it is probably ready to be replaced. I believe you should leave the 12V toggle off or it will drain the battery. Maybe the manual will give more details.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge