Fun with a Trimetric & CPAP, lights draw - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I have been using a CPAP for 19 years now. I won't buy a CPAP that doesn't run on 12V directly, so I can run it on a regular car battery whether I am sleeping in the vehicle for overlanding or in the camper. And I don't use a humidifier, which saves a lot on power requirements. I have no problem running the CPAP and 12V fridge on my vehicle battery overnight, the truck cranks up just fine in the morning.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Yes, mine is just old enough to be 110V only. I think the next model after mine was 12V with the brick. I have thought about a new one but this one works so well and I am used to it so hate to rock the boat. What I would really like is another one altogether so I have a spare, but the insurance company will not go for that and as you note, like anything medical it is high dollar.

Staying around 85% in real world conditions sounds pretty good to me. I have three, 100W panels and have room for all three on the Scamp (side A/C so no roof air in the way). But my plan is to mount just two for now and leave the other as a portable unit if the trailer is shaded or I just feel like catching some additional rays. Anyway, it is all fun with the Scamp and I don't even have to leave my back yard!
Hi Wolf,
You should check your insusrance policy or contact your provider.

I am eligible for a brand new machine every 3 or 4 years. It may even be California law. If you CPAP is so old it does not accept a 12 volt adopter, then you are definately due for an upgrade. I don't know if you have to pay full freight for a CPAP or insurance pays part of it, but you you probably can get a newer unit that will work better for you. Being a tech guy, you will appreciates ongoing improvements in CPAP technology.

CPAP technology is constantly improving. I really prefer my new unit. It has some auto functions that i really appreciate. Plus it has a screen that provides feedback on mask seal, number of incidents during the night, and time on the machine. It's not much smaller than my older unit, but it looks nicer on the bedstand.

Once again, I bought a 12 volt adopter (made for my specific machine) that bypasses the brick, and plugs into the 12 volt outlet in my trailer. Check out this link as an example of what you can get:

https://www.amazon.com/DreamStation-...808246&sr=8-12

When you update your CPAP, you can keep it the old one. The insurance co and CPAP provider has absolutly no use for it. Because I already have a 12 volt adopter for it, I take my old unit on trips that last more than 4 days. My mask and breathing tubes work on either unites, so I pack take them in the trailer as well. Filters for the older unit are inexpensive and I purchase them on the internet.

Just say'in
Old 02-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Just a note about measuring battery state of charge, Victron makes a nice meter, BVM 702. Cost is about $175.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
I have heard good things about Victron.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I love to read these guys quest for power! It is interesting. I watched a solar expert at Quatzite this year he had no enjoyment camping as he was constantly moving his array to show his batteries were fully charged.

For me I don't want to haul any more additional weight I have one small 12v battery on my tongue. This works for me I have an inverter but I don't use it never have!

I also use a c-pap but when on vacation I just risk it. I have also taken 8 tenting trips to Europe and do without it. There is just no way I can get that much power and frankly I don't want to fool with it! Just me don't get excited.

I saw guys running microwaves off their inverters this was real interesting but I think I would just buy a Honda generator and be done with it. Good for everyone who wants to tinker.

I love it all just not for me! you guys that do it impress me!

bob
Hi Bob,

Interesting post.

I actually get a kick out of everyone's projects. The trailers are their hobbies, and they love experimenting.

Regarding CPAP. You can go up to 4 days without using one. This assumes you use it regularly (at least 5 times per week) while at home. After 4 days, you begin to experience increased breathing cessation incidents during the night and are at greater risk for sleep deprivation, high blood pressure and potential death (you can stop breathing indefinitely in your sleep).

I would leave my CPAP at home if I went backpacking in Europe, but it's so very easy to store in a travel trailer, you really don't have a good excuse.

So the question is: what can you do if you want to use your CPAP unit in your trailer?

Prior to being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I had a backup generator mounted on my trailer's rear porch and one acid lead battery on the tongue. I also installed LED light bulbs throughout the cabin and a 12 volt, auto stereo system. Everything else ran on propane. I did not have a ceiling fan. This setup worked perfectly for several years.

To trick out my trailer for CPAP, I did the following:
  • Installed a 12 volt outlet by my bed
  • Purchased a 12 volt adopter for my CPAP machine
  • Replaced the single acid lead battery for two deep cell acid lead batteries

I just went high tech for my "new-to-me" BF 21 and installed a single, 100 amp 12 volt lithium battery. This is in lieu of purchasing 2 acid lead batteries.

In fact, the lithium may be an ideal solution for someone like you, who may not have room for a second deep cell acid lead battery. The lithium is more expensive and you will also need to upgrade the lower section on you converter. But it will last up to 10 years and is much more efficient - and lighter - than the acid lead deep cells.

This purchase was an easy decision for me, as the trailer only had a single battery on the tongue. I was essentially starting from ground zero.

To conserve energy due to CPAP usage:
  • Leave the humidifier for the CPAP machine at home
  • Unplug the machine when not in use

None of this is rocket science or particularly costly.

Regarding generator usage as well as solar setup, I think everyone's camping style is unique. You're absolutely correct that a small, inverter generator, weighing around 45 lbs., will recharge your batteries, run a microwave and meet most other needs. You'll probably require a generator to support CPAP while boon docking.

I tend to camp off the grid for 5 - 7 days before moving on to new grounds. So, I have used my generator pretty much every time I boon dock for more than 2-3 days. I only run it long enough to recharge my batteries. But I run it in the late afternoon so I can use my microwave and charge my mobile devices.

I'm not a DIY person, but I do regularly upgrade my trailer to make my camping experience easier. I am fascinated by solar: I'm not sure I need it, but it's so sexy. I will still want a backup generator regardless. I may not use it as much with solar, but it will be there on rainy days - and I can use my microwave for more than 45 seconds.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
replacing your c-p

Make sure when you replace your c-p you get the same operating system. Some cut off when you inhale some maintain a constant pressure. I had the cut-off system I got the latest and the greatest!

I went through hell trying to figure out what was wrong. I have my system correct now and am not changing again for anything. The only thing I replace now is the face masks and my insurance wont pay for that!

Matter of fact I still have my old machine and at 78 I don't expect to tinker any more! LOL

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Hi Wolf,
You should check your insusrance policy or contact your provider.

I am eligible for a brand new machine every 3 or 4 years. It may even be California law. If you CPAP is so old it does not accept a 12 volt adopter, then you are definately due for an upgrade. I don't know if you have to pay full freight for a CPAP or insurance pays part of it, but you you probably can get a newer unit that will work better for you. Being a tech guy, you will appreciates ongoing improvements in CPAP technology.

CPAP technology is constantly improving. I really prefer my new unit. It has some auto functions that i really appreciate. Plus it has a screen that provides feedback on mask seal, number of incidents during the night, and time on the machine. It's not much smaller than my older unit, but it looks nicer on the bedstand.

Once again, I bought a 12 volt adopter (made for my specific machine) that bypasses the brick, and plugs into the 12 volt outlet in my trailer. Check out this link as an example of what you can get:

https://www.amazon.com/DreamStation-...808246&sr=8-12

When you update your CPAP, you can keep it the old one. The insurance co and CPAP provider has absolutly no use for it. Because I already have a 12 volt adopter for it, I take my old unit on trips that last more than 4 days. My mask and breathing tubes work on either unites, so I pack take them in the trailer as well. Filters for the older unit are inexpensive and I purchase them on the internet.

Just say'in
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Interesting stuff! W.Ken we go to Europe we go for a month! Yes I can fly the cops free but it just turned into too much work.. The battery idea is interesting I may look into that but we are 12v misers we have never ran the battery all the way down..but all interesting!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #27

Name: Bill
Trailer: Big Foot
Ontario
battery monitors

I have used TM monitors on 3 previous trailers but with our current exchange rate decided this was a good time to shop around for a better price. Went with Aili system on Amazon for $30-$35. Seems to work well. Shows volts, amps, amp/hrs, and % charge. The instructions are not great but its not that complicated. I used a hole saw to drill a hole in a standard surface mount electrical faceplate and ran wires thru surface mount track to get a neat looking installation
BJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #28

Name: Bill
Trailer: Big Foot
Ontario
Battery monitor photo

Photo showing Ailing monitor
Attached Thumbnails
20191125_131440.jpg  
BJAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights