gen - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They cant labor starting up and be expected to last. On that we agree .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I would expect any generator rated at 3000 or more to have no trouble kicking out enough power for a 9200 BTU or a 11000 BTU for that matter.

Problem is the small 1000 and 2000 do not have the power the AC is needing for the start up. While some are able to take the generator off of ECO mode and get the AC powered up after a short burp they may as I said find as others have that in the long run they are not doing the long term health of the AC any favours in doing so.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #22

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My mini - split is an inverter powered unit as are some rooftop units (but not many).
With this technology there is no starting surge and my Harbor Freight inverter generator never hiccups or strains.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
For those who wonder the 1000 watt generator does run our Scamp including the Air Conditioner. We do not have a microwave and need to be aware but it does work.
What size AC do you have that a lowly thousand watt generator will power?
My 2000 watt Honda struggles when it's really hot outside and the AC comes on and my AC is only 7,150 BTU's
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Colorado
Propane generator?

You could also think about converting your generator to run on propane. That way you don't need to worry about gasoline fumes.
Silver River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #25

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
What size AC do you have that a lowly thousand watt generator will power?
My 2000 watt Honda struggles when it's really hot outside and the AC comes on and my AC is only 7,150 BTU's
A hard start kit might help with starting the A/C.
These include a larger starting capacitor and the relay and timer to control the thing.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
A hard start kit might help with starting the A/C.
These include a larger starting capacitor and the relay and timer to control the thing.
I already have installed the official Dometic hard start kit. It was an option on my unit and it just had the relay and no cap. The kit had the relay/timer and cap as you described. But mine is a 1999 and since then they have become standard on most RV AC's.

Dometic has a "Smartstart Soft Starter" electronic box for the marine market but they deemed it too expensive ($425) for the RV market.
4220043 New Dometic Smartstart Soft Starter Cruisair Marine Air Conditioning | eBay

A 2000 surge watts generator is marginal at best.

But with temperatures in the mid 90's my Honda 2000i struggled starting the compressor and was running pretty much flat out, used a lot of gas and was noisy.
At 10 degrees cooler there's no problem.

I found a Boliy 3600SiE, 3000/3200 watts, cheap on Craig's list needing lots of TLC. Now that it's in decent shape it does the job much quieter and will be going along next year.
Boliy Generator

Take the best features from both the Honda 3000i and 3000si, and my Boily surpasses Honda in every category but one, support.....
It's lighter, quieter, has more wattage, electrically 20% more efficient saving gas and electric start too.
Just little to no support. I read on an Air Stream forum that many have had them for 6 years or longer with no problems at all.
It looks like a Yamaha and has German designed and made electronics.
Would I pay $1000 for a new one, I don't know but at $75 I jumped.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #27

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Saw an older Airstream yesterday being powered by a Ryobi 2200/1800 and walked by it and was very surprised at how quiet it was running. Probably was not being loaded so it may not be very quiet under load. But it was quieter than my Honda at low speed.

I also used to have an Airstream with a 11k a/c and it would run on one Honda 2000 if I turned the refrig to gas. Ran it this way for 5 years without a problem with the Dometic a/c but did put a hard start capacitor on it since it was a '98 model.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote