Generator to camper 30amp adapter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #1

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Generator to camper 30amp adapter

The 30 amp reciprocal on the Yamaha 6300 inverter is the 3 blade type as used in residential applications.

HOWEVER, the Casita power cord is the typical 2 blade and 1 pin.

Is there an adaptor that will make this work?

Thanks,
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
This one? https://www.amazon.com/LeisureCords-...mp+twist+plug&
Old 07-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #3

Georgia
Wow , all shapes and discriptions!

Thanks,
kip
Old 07-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Kip,

For a residential style plug, as you mentioned, here is the typical one, and the one I use. The typical "residential" style plug is rated for 15 amps and will work fine as long as you don't try to run two large loads at the same time. Battery charging and microwave should be fine, lights and coffee pot should be fine. Electric heater and microwave will be too much. AC and anything else will be too much. In fact the AC can overload a 15 amp plug by itself, but is probably OK.

This style of plug is called a 15 amp plug, but in homes is connected to a 20 amp circuit breaker, uses #12 home wiring in the wall and is a 20 amp circuit. It is safe for low loads in the trailer.

This is a nice one with a screw on ring to hold it. You'd use a #12 extension cord to the generator, or a house plug at home, after plugging this into the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/PinShang-12in...tronics&sr=1-5

This is a very simple one, and just fine too. You plug this into the generator and run the trailer shore tie cord to this adapter. Or you plug it onto the trailer and use an extension cord to a household plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Femal...tronics&sr=1-4
Old 08-01-2019, 04:39 AM   #5

Georgia
Thanks Raspy.

My post was somewhat confusing when I said "residential". Because we don't see many 30 amp residential applications.

The Generator Inverter has a 30 amp 3 BLADE reciprocal that allows the male to twist lock into place. I should have said "30 Amp TWIST LOCK".

Your post would have still taken me where I needed to be.

Thanks,
Kip
Old 08-01-2019, 04:50 AM   #6

Georgia
Thanks Raspy.

My post was somewhat confusing when I said "residential". Because we don't see many 30 amp residential applications.

The Generator Inverter has a 30 amp 3 BLADE reciprocal that allows the male to twist lock into place. I should have said "30 Amp TWIST LOCK".

Your post would have still taken me where I needed to be.

Thanks to both you and Sergey for your help!
Kip
Old 08-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
your generator has a NEMA 5-30R (straight blade) or a L5-30R (twist-lock), and takes a 5-30P or L5-30P plug. your trailer has a TT30 cord. a variety of 'dogbones' are available to adapt these, such as ... https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Recepta.../dp/B0011FJXOM

they also make this adapter as a solid one piece plug, but I prefer 'dog bones' for these applications as they are less likely to apply excess torque to the outlet

another potential issue... generators have a floating ground thats not bonded to neutral. if your trailer has a EMS (power monitoring system) it may trigger on the lack of ground bonding and throw a fault and not turn on the juice in the trailer (I have this in my Escape 21). you have two choices, turn the EMS off or get a ground bonding connector that ties the ground and neutral pins together at the generator outlet. When you use a ground bonding connector, you are also supposed to put a copper stake into the ground, and wire it to the ground screw on the generator. not many people I know bother to do this.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #8

Georgia
Thanks John! Good info.

Tags
generator