good old "Crappy Tire".... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
good old "Crappy Tire"....

I've cobbled together (technical term for building/experimenting/expanding) my solar system from different sources....but Canadian Tire stores have figured prominently as they seem to have sales on solar "kits" on a very regular basis....

best score so far was today!

80W panel
charge controller (not very "smart" but would work if this was somebody's first foray into the "hobby")
assorted wires and plugs
AND a 420W inverter!!! (two plugs and USB port)..............all for 200 bucks.... (no rainchecks)
Attached Thumbnails
solardeal.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
So far, we have not ventured into solar for the trailer...except in the form of little doo-dads, like our solar lantern. Leave it in the sun for an afternoon, and it seems to be charged eup for many months of storage--and it still glows a winter later. It can also be plugged in to charge. It cost $9.98 at WinCo. It's cute. And it's very easy.

That's OUR first solar experience with Peanut. I wonder if we'll ever go further beyond a few more small solar gadgets?

But we both admire those who DO get solar and get it working usefully! Around here we have frequent solar system (!) sales at Harbor Freight. Almost went for it a couple of times...a good sale does inspire purchases and thinking about possibilities!

"K"
Old 05-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I saw that Costco has a 100 watt Coleman solar panel with charge controller for $179.99 Canadian. Same panel as I have from Canadian Tire for $199.99 Canadian.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #4

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
in Canada....

my rule of thumb is anything under 2 bucks a watt is worth buying....after that you can run into some really good deals at times.....patience is the thing

in a small trailer like ours, 100W flat on the roof is "adequate" IMO

go visit the new "Van life" people on YT and lots of them are going with many HUNDREDS of watts on the roof....electric fridges, induction cooktops...even elec. hot water heaters!.....and none of them seem to incorporate portable panels...Lithium batteries....lots and lots of money spent and certainly different than our typical application
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:02 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Our 100 watt is great for us. We cook with propane outside, fridge is 3 way so propane when boondocking. Battery is for: maxfan, lights, stereo and tv.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
my rule of thumb is anything under 2 bucks a watt is worth buying....after that you can run into some really good deals at times.....patience is the thing

in a small trailer like ours, 100W flat on the roof is "adequate" IMO

go visit the new "Van life" people on YT and lots of them are going with many HUNDREDS of watts on the roof....electric fridges, induction cooktops...even elec. hot water heaters!.....and none of them seem to incorporate portable panels...Lithium batteries....lots and lots of money spent and certainly different than our typical application
Hi: Franswa... Some say "Crafty tire" Eh?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Check out the prices of solar panels at
seacans.com
They are pretty much sold out but get restocked frequently. I have 2 of the 50 watt panels on the Casita and they have worked well for us.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Renogy is having a 20% off sale at the moment!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #9

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
Crappy Tire solar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
I've cobbled together (technical term for building/experimenting/expanding) my solar system from different sources....but Canadian Tire stores have figured prominently as they seem to have sales on solar "kits" on a very regular basis....

best score so far was today!

80W panel
charge controller (not very "smart" but would work if this was somebody's first foray into the "hobby")
assorted wires and plugs
AND a 420W inverter!!! (two plugs and USB port)..............all for 200 bucks.... (no rainchecks)
Not sure if you have an "Uncle Wiener,s" in your area, but here in Calgary they have one hundred watt panels for less than $100 Canadian and lots of them. Ancilliaries at equally friendly prices!! Check them out on Kijiji.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:20 PM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought three of these for FrankenScamp. $94.00 / 100 watt.
You can find plenty low cost controllers on the web.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-So...100W/204211365
Free delivery too!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #11

Nevada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I saw that Costco has a 100 watt Coleman solar panel with charge controller for $179.99 Canadian. Same panel as I have from Canadian Tire for $199.99 Canadian.
I bought 2 for $118.00 US, but I have sense seen them for as low as $99.00! Using 2 panels, I had to use a different controller (20A). I just tried them for the first time last month and they worked well.
Attached Thumbnails
01EBC1A8-CE75-4231-BCD9-0F437130854F.jpg   B763594C-410C-4FF7-86F9-CC3C59DDA70B.jpg  

egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
That's great. I was just looking around on Amazon last week (I'm really close to putting 100 watts up on the roof) and Renology had 100w kits, everything but the mounting hardware, for around $180, I think. Seems totally reasonable to me. I'll probably be getting one with my next paycheck.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote